Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carpel Tunnel Syndrome Operation  (Read 5236 times)

Cazikins

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome Operation
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:29:48 PM »

I'm due to have this op soon as I have been suffering with it for several months & it is affecting my work.
It's bloody painful just to type & use a mouse etc.
I have been told I will probably be off work for at least 3 weeks  :o.
Has anyone else had the op & can you tell me how it went & how you coped with every day tasks etc?
Cazikins x

littleminnie

Re: Carpel Tunnel Syndrome Operation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »

A friend of mine has had it done on both hands. (Not at the same time). She was off work for a couple of weeks but didn't seem to have any problems.

Kittycat50

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »

Cazikins, I had it done on my left hand about 15 years ago (I'm left handed) and was off work for the full 3 weeks.  I'd not long known my now hubby, and as I also have severely limited use of my right arm I was really worried about the loo stuff  ::).  I don't know if he quite realised all that might entail, but he offered to help with whatever I needed  :o.  Turned out I could just about manage most things - some with treble the amount of loo roll ;D

Anyway, the op was carried out under local anaesthetic (a bit weird but ok) and after the 3 weeks, I could gradually increase the use.  I have never looked back and have no problems now - I can remember the awful pain which was worse at night.  Hope it goes well  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »

LA  :o

Patients used to come back from Theatre with huge pressure bandages, arm elevated for 24 hours and then sent home.  Have you an admission date?

Cazikins

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »

Many thanks for your replies girls.

I am so relieved to hear that Kittycat50 (re loo stuff). That was my number one concern (well my number twos as it turns out)  ;D. I have been trying to practise with my left hand but it just doesn't seem natural to me.

LA CLKD, it will be fine  :o :o :o. Apparently I wont feel a thing  :o :o.
Doc told me I will probably have a bandage on for 2 weeks - great - how the hell will I wash my hair let alone shower.....is this where hubby steps up Kittycat50?

No definite date yet but doc is putting it through a private hospital, even though I don't have private insurance, he said they can do this sometimes if a patient is otherwise in good health (who me???).
I'll keep you posted & thanks again. xx

bev18

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »

I've had both hands done.

I was off work 2 weeks with the left hand and 2 1/2 weeks with right hand. I didn't need lots of pain killers and did have to get anyone around to cut food up. Trying to butter toast left handed was fun.

I learnt to wash hair 1 handed, with plastic bag on bandaged hand.

Scar tissue is a problem, I still feel there's a lump around scar site even a year later. I use a mousemat and wrist rest for typing to stop the pressure around the scar.

I do get the odd bit of numbness even now but its a lot better than it was.

Even the local anaesthetic injection wasn't that bad, the tournequet was more uncomfy (used to reduce blood flow in arm).

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »

One washes up as far as possible; and down as far as possible - using warmed water in a bowl with a flannel, standing on Very Large Towel.  As for hair …… it won't matter for a few days you probably won't feel like being messed with for at least a week: then a nice hair wash with scalp massage will work wonders. 

Do you get a choice of music whilst the op. takes place?

Wolflady

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »

Hello Cazikins,

I've had this surgery on both hands. It was a day surgery thing. I was off work 2 weeks both times, having said that I had mine done a few years ago and I know things change. Can't remember the loo bits and what I did :D   but hubby washed my hair when my hand was bandaged.

I had knee surgery 6 weeks ago and the doctor sent me to a private hospital for that and the NHS paid. I wish you well with your op. Can I know how you get on? When you are able to of course. :)

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »

Many thanks for your replies girls.

I am so relieved to hear that Kittycat50 (re loo stuff). That was my number one concern (well my number twos as it turns out)  ;D. I have been trying to practise with my left hand but it just doesn't seem natural to me.

LA CLKD, it will be fine  :o :o :o. Apparently I wont feel a thing  :o :o.
Doc told me I will probably have a bandage on for 2 weeks - great - how the hell will I wash my hair let alone shower.....is this where hubby steps up Kittycat50?

No definite date yet but doc is putting it through a private hospital, even though I don't have private insurance, he said they can do this sometimes if a patient is otherwise in good health (who me???).
I'll keep you posted & thanks again. xx

I haven't had this op but did have my right wrist in plaster for 6 weeks in July /August. i managed the loo and hair washing without too much trouble. My shower is over the bath so I just stood there with my right arm stuck out away from the water. Might have been harder in an enclosed shower.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »

Many years ago a lady I knew fractured both wrists badly and her DH had to do *everything* for her  :-\

Cazikins

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »

Hi Wolflady xx
Thanks for replying. I can't wait for my hubby to try & wash my hair - he just has to put a wet flannel over his, goodness knows how he will cope with my full head of hair - & then there's the blow drying & styling etc  ::)

Hope your knee is ok Wolflady, let us know how things go & it's lovely to see you on here after such a long time.

Do you get a choice of music whilst the op. takes place?

I'm not sure if I get a choice of music CLKD, & if I do I shall have to have a think about it.
Thanks Bev18 for your reply,  I can see there will be lots of trial & error with things. It's just as well I don't do any ironing these days.  ;)

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »

Just to update you all.
I have not had an op as it turns out it isn't CPT. I had an electromyography test (electric type shocks to test the nerves  :o :o,) & an MRI neck scan. All came back looking ok.

I am now waiting to see a neurologist at the hospital.

I have been on Gabapentin (3x300mg per day) but I hate them as they make me dopey/drowsy/sleepy & all the other of Snow Whites dwarfs. I can't think straight, the computer screen sways from side to side & makes me feel sick. I am going to cut down t 2 tablets a day tomorrow to se if that helps, else I shall have to see doc again. To be honest they haven't helped much with the pain in my hands & arms anyway.
I have been signed off work for 14 weeks & worry I will lose my job, although they have supported me up to now by keeping my job open for me to go back to.

Don't like get old... >:(

Love Cazikins xx

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »

I have sore hands & wrists at the moment. Appointment with GP next week. Fingers lock sometimes, blooming sore, although not bad today.

Have they got any idea what it might be Cazikins? I'm thinking mine is arthritis, but want to check in case I'm wrong.

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

I'm thinking horrible things CB. I must stop googling.
They have ruled out a trapped nerve in the neck, so I am thinking maybe something to do with the brain ..... told you I was thinking horrible things  ::)

Hope you get yourself sorted out soon CB.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 04:53:32 PM »

CTS should be easy to diagnose  :-\ ………… so what did the Consultant decide it might be?  I would be ringing up to ask!
Pages: [1] 2