Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Periods!!!  (Read 3208 times)

holly d

Periods!!!
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »

Hi and good morning to all you lovely ladies,

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced periods like this. Basically have missed one period last year and now missed one this summer, this one has come in and sorry to be so graphic but hasn't stopped going for it for 5 days with huge clots. A friend mentioned fibroids but don't know much about this. I am 52 now and have had periods since the age of 9 so getting pretty fed up now. Did try natural progesterone but it started giving me two periods a month so stopped that. This is all so confusing some say low oestrogen and some say low progesterone am at a loss as to what to try. One good thing for anyone who is having severe aches and pains, i have cut out coffee, have to say a lot less achey in the morning's.

Many thanks to all of you, it's great to have this forum.

Dancinggirl

Re: Periods!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »

Hi holly d
What you're describing is quite typical for the peri meno stage. The clots may not be anything untoward - just your lining has built up too much for some reason.   Many women experience erratic periods in the peri stage, sometimes heavy, some very light and often long gaps between or then close together. Basically your hormone levels are fluctuating all over the place as your ovaries won't be producing an egg every month.  It can be difficult to cope with and if flushes hit then starting some HRt to balance the hormones can help.  If the bleeds become a problem then some progesterone or a Mirena can help with this but your GP should send you for a scan as well to be on the safe side.
The aches and pains tend to come and go in the peri stage as well as hormones fluctuate but it is a good idea to think about dietary factors when coping with the meno - cutting down on caffeine and alcohol is good.  I find brisk walking is the best help for my aching joints. 
The Natural progesterone cream isn't necessarily a good idea - my understanding is that it's not really strong enough to do anything that positive - also very expensive. These days one can be prescribed a truly natural progesterone called Utrogestan which you use with oestrogen as gel or patch.
If things get more troublesome then see your GP - perhaps print off stuff from this site - if the GPs are not helpful then ask for a referral to a gynae or perhaps meno clinic if there is one near you.  DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »

Hello holly d.

I had regular and heavy periods throughout what I now know to be peri. When I had two episodes in one month with plenty of clots, I went to my GP. A scan confirmed a small fibroid which is a benign overgrowth of muscle that affects 50 per cent of women over 50. It was decided that as I was 49 I was close to the menopause so I would just manage as best I could, what none of us knew was that I would not actually finish menstruating until I was 54 but the periods did become lighter though they were just a regular.

I suggest you ask your GP for a scan as a fibroid seems likely and you may be given a progesterone drug that will reduce the flow.

Take care.

K. 

holly d

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »

Thank you all for the advice, it's always a real help,
life seems to get very lonely at this time,
 as less and less people want to be around you as you're not the outgoing person you once were.

Enjoy the lovely weather long may it last!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 07:19:24 PM »

Hi holly d

Just to say sorry to hear about the bleeding and as the others say this is typical - because of cycles where you don't ovulate so the lining builds up and then is shed more the next time.

You mught be interested in this article by Dr Currie - Perils of the Perimenopause which tells you what is happening in your body at this time:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

...and there is also information about treatments for heavy bleeding - but only when it becomnes a persistent problem:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/investigations.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Hope this helps and you stop bleeding soon!

Hurdity x