Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Needing to wee in the night - but bladder not full  (Read 4911 times)

ancient runner

Needing to wee in the night - but bladder not full
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »

Hello - am having to get up twice in the night for a wee because my bladder feels tender as if it's full - but it isn't. Have tried not drinking after about 9 or 10, doesn't seem to help. During the day I get a properly full bladder and don't need to go until that point so it's a night-only thing. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else?
I had an abdominal ultrasound about five months ago as I'd been getting some pain (not bladder related) and nothing showed up in that so kind of assuming something hormonal. Haven't had a period for about 4 months, am using Estring for VA.
Thanks all!

Ju Ju

Re: Needing to wee in the night - but bladder not full
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »

Yes, my bladder feels tender at night, so I feel the need to empty, regardless of whether it is full or not if I wake up, but I do know I have both anterior as well posterior prolapses. I don't try to limit drinking water as thirst will wake me just as much as the need to go to the loo. Also my bladder can feel sensitive and bruised when I have IBS issues.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »

ancient runner - had this for many years.  I don't think I've been less than twice a night for over 20 years.  I'm afraid it is typical to get more problems with bladder etc as the oestrogen declines.  I'm back on full HRT and things have been much better 'down below' generally.  DG x

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »

Me too. Actually these days if I only go twice Im greatful, certain points I can easy go 10 times for no good reason, so assume hormones and then the next night I am back to twice. very annoying.

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:40:09 PM »

You're all making me feel much better - ta. I've got tendinitis in my ankles too so it's a real bugger getting to the bathroom and back. I may well reinstate my late night cups of (herbal) tea.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »

Me too, but I've always needed to get up during the night for as long as I can remember, even as a teenager.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »

For 1 thing - once you need to pee don't wait!  2ndly, unless you have diagnosed kidney disease, don't restrict your fluid input as it makes the kidneys work harder = the need to pee!

take pain relief before you go to bed  ::)

westie

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »

Hi ancient runner

What you describe is EXACTLY what I get, perfectly ok during the day but tender bladder and needing to wee at night- so annoying! I was checked out last year, all ok and no prolapse so all down to hormones I guess ( or lack of). Have been using estriol cream for VA which has helped a bit. Would love to know why it only happens at night.

W xx

Linsey44

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »

Yip need to pee during night, started in peri.  Now in surgical meno my sleep is broken rarely manage longer than 3/4 hrs at a time, swake for a bit then drop off again.

Sometimes wonder if i need to go to the loo brcause i am awake anyway or if its the fact i need the loo that wakes me up.

Think sleeping on my left side makes me want to go more often.

Like others during the day I can last for ages and not need the loo.

Linseyx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

It doesn't do the kidneys/bladder any good to hang on during the day!  OK for about 10 mins. but any longer isn't wise.  There is a hormone at night which supposedly eases pressure on the kidneys so we don't need to pee as often, sometimes this fails.

When I need to go I have dreams about searching for a loo/hedge/somewhere quiet …….

Judith57

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »

I came off HRT about six weeks ago and all the bladder/burning problems are coming back. I needed to get up twice last night to pee and I haven't even had to get up once for over a year. My GP prescribed a lower dose of HRT for me to have just in case, I was resisting taking it but I am going to start tonight.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 04:01:09 PM »

Judith -  :bighug:  do let us know how you get on !

rantywoman

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »

I know this may sound a little weird. but last year I had a massive flare of hives, urticaria etc and needed steroids and maximum strength antihistamine (prescription Fexofenadine) to calm it all down.

I found that once the Fexofenadine had been in my system awhile I didn't need to pee so often, it seemed to calm my bladder down a bit. I mentioned it to my doc and she said yes, they can sometimes help bladder issues by calming any irritation. It  might be worth asking your own doctor about it.

Briony

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »

A friend recently had something sounding like this. She ended up having minor surgery (without GA) which sorted it out. I think it was related to the nerves in her bladder kidding her into thinking she needed a wee. She also had a problem fully emptying her bladder. Long and short of it, she had two weeks off work and could not lift for a while, but is now fine and symptom free. She was diagnosed via a gynaecologist.

Hope you get sorted soon, whatever the cause xx