Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Femoston  (Read 2800 times)

Linda52

Femoston
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:33:54 PM »

Hi,
I just been prescribed Femoston, not taken yet. I have horrendous hot flushes and night sweats. Been on sage tablets, not really working. Just concerned about having the monthly bleed. Anybody on the same one?
Linda

Dancinggirl

Re: Femoston
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Linda52
Do try the Femoston - this is a good one to try first.  It is good to use a sequential HRT first to see if you feel ok on the progesterone part - some women find progesterone can give some PMT type symptoms but Femoston has a kinder progesterone so is often well tolerated. The withdrawal bleed each month can be a bit of a nuisance but until you are 54 or 2 years post meno you still need to use the sequi HRT - you can move to the conti version after a time. The bleeds are often not too bad but are worth putting up with to get rid of the flushes and sweats - you may find you don't get much of a bleed anyway.
I bet within 2 weeks of using the Femoston you will be getting much better sleep and by 3 months you will have more energy. Keep us posted.  DG x

Linda52

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I'm just a little concerned as I tried the Femoston last year, first bleed lasted 2 weeks so decided to come off it. Just wondered iwhat it was like for others
Linda

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »

It sometimes take a few months to settle - you need to give an HRT at least 3 months.  Have you had problematic bleeds before?  How long is it since your periods stopped? Was it the sequential Femoston you tried before?
There are other HRT preparations to try but I would give Femoston another go first before trying something else. The progesterone Dydrogesterone which is in Femoston is less powerful than the more synthetic progesterones (e.g Norithesterone) that are in many other HRT preparations and this is why it tends to give fewer side effects.  Many women don't react badly to the synthetic progesterones so if you really find that Femoston doesn't suit you then you could try something else.
Is it Femoston 1/10 you've been given? 
If you really don't want to have a bleed then many women opt for the Mirena to keep the womb lining thin and then you can add oestrogen in Gel or Patch form to control the flushes etc.
Do read up all the info on the site to get really clued up.
DG x

Linda52

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »

Hi Dancing girl,
Thanks for your reply. I've never had any problematic bleeds before.
My last period was Feb this year, lasted a week, was very light.
Yes I've got Femoston 1/10, still not started it yet. took the sage tablets again this morning, hot flushes every hour ☺️. Keep saying to myself I will give them another week then if the same start the Femoston, just the bleeds putting me off
Linda

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »

Sadly I've never found any of the herbal remedies work  - I have literally spent a fortune on all sorts of things with no positive results - only HRT actually works for me.
You are are not defined as post meno yet, so it is best to use sequi HRT to start with.  When you get to 54 or after another 1-2 years you could then switch to conti HRT which will eventually stop all bleeds. Even with conti HRT it can take up to 6 months for the bleeding to stop completely.
I'm afraid it takes time for the body to adjust to having hormones again and sometimes you need to try different HRTs to find the one that suits you. I'd start your Femoston and see how things go but give it at least 3-6 months.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »

Hi Linda52

I answered on your other thread before I saw this one!

Hurdity   :) x