Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone aged over 35 a smoker and on BCP  (Read 3418 times)

Chi chi

Anyone aged over 35 a smoker and on BCP
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »

Just wondering if there's anyone over 35 that smokes and is on the birth control pill?

honeybun

Re: Anyone aged over 35 a smoker and on BCP
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »

I don't think GPs are keen on keeping you on the pill if you are a smoker. I can't speak for myself because I only used the pill for a couple of years but my niece was taken off at 35 as she smoked. She had to find other ways if birth control because it was just a big NO from everyone.

It's standard practice I think.

Honeybun
X

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:19:05 PM »

Hmmm that's what I thought  :-\ although I don't understand why it's safe to have HRT if you smoke but not BCP? Is it because the HRT is bio identical  :oops: :neutral:

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »

I'm sure someone scientific will be along to correct me but I think the pill is a lot stronger.

Honeybun
X

Chi chi

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »

Thanks honeybun  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

One lady here was told that unless she stopped smoking her Practice would not prescribe HRT  :-\

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »

:o

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »

I'm afraid smoking is a big 'no no' generally when it comes to our health. I doubt any doctor will be happy to prescribe BCP or HRT if one smokes as the risks are deemed too high. I think you have been given HRT by a private gynae who was perhaps prepared to take the risk but this is unusual as I believe the risks are the same for BCP and HRT.
I really believe your best option right now would be to give up smoking if you can; I know it's really difficult especially if you are feeling fragile but you will then have more choices of treatment that will work more effectively and you will be surprised how much better you feel. I know this is tough love but I feel I have to be honest. My Dad died of lung cancer aged 57 so I'm particularly anti smoking - also the risk of getting breast cancer is greater if a women smokes than if she uses HRT - put smoking and HRT together and the risks really escalate. My nephew had a heart attack last year aged 42, the doctors insisted he give up smoking which he has found incredibly difficult to do but a year on he looks so well and actually younger!!! DG xxx

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »

Hmmm that's what I thought  :-\ although I don't understand why it's safe to have HRT if you smoke but not BCP? Is it because the HRT is bio identical  :oops: :neutral:

The level of hormones is a lot lower in HRT than in the BCP.
I don't think the bio-identical thing is an issue in this respect.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »

Treatment that can ease symptoms should not be denied because a person smokes!  or drinks!  Or eats the wrong things …….

Briony

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »

The level of hormones is a lot lower in HRT than in the BCP.
I don't think the bio-identical thing is an issue in this respect.

Since Qlaira is bio identical and has similar oestrogen to HRT, that could be the exception? Having migraines with aura and a history of strokes at an early age in my family, I wasnt able to take a regular BCP, but could take Qlaira. Taking a very high dose HRT patch (eg 200mcg) will mimic the ovulation suppression of a pill, so that could be an alternative (assuming that's why you want the pill - rather than contraception?). It's something I am considering.

Machair

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »

I know you may feel under pressure to give up from many angles but if you can get help to quit. My father has the really dreadful and less known impact of smoking- bladder cancer. He was told that it was 100% due to smoking, and although under control, the cancer tests and treatments are absolutely horrific. I know how hard it must be because I am addicted to cakes and chocolate, which are no good for me either, so I am not preaching at all to you, but just have the first hand witness experience of a life ruined by smoking that is hanging in the balance. xx

Chi chi

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »

Thanks for all the replies  :)
I really would like to give up smoking but if I'm honest I enjoy it  :-\ I don't drink or go out much and it's my comfort.
My grandad also had cancer and had to have his voice box removed, he had to use a little handheld machine to talk  :'( I know how bad it is for me  :-\

Who knows maybe if going back on the BCP sorts me out then it would be a really good incentive/reason to stop.

dazned

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »

I was on bcp until 45 now on hrt since 49 ,7 years.

Chi chi

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »

Are you a smoker dazned?
Pages: [1] 2