Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unexpected blood test results  (Read 10972 times)

Smokey

Unexpected blood test results
« on: August 27, 2015, 12:19:55 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm now worried since having my latest blood tests as my doctor asked the receptionist to call me At home to arrange an appointment with her.
I have just seen her today she says I have raised enzymes in my liver this is inflammation.
Now she has arranged a scan of my abdomen to see if there's any thing amiss, she said there are other blood tests she could do to just to rule things out, one is Hepatitis c and HIV, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have either of them so I agreed to have them. My hubby is immunised against hep c due to his job.

Has anyone had raised liver enzymes?

There is a whole list of diseases it could be😂 is it not enough that I have Meno under active thyroid tumer in parathyroid, and MS!!

Any ideas etc x

Ann

honeybun

Re: Unexpected blood test results
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »

Could it be down to fatty liver. I do know that can cause raised enzymes.

At least it has been picked up and then if there is something wrong it can be quickly treated. As you say it's unlikely to be Hep C or HIV, but there is treatement for that too now.

Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing at all.

Honeybun
X

SadLynda

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »

my best friend had this last year.  her next test was totally fine, so fingers crossed.

Smokey

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »

Thanks for your replays

Honeybun maybe it is fatty liver, do you get that when your slim build and not overweight?

SadLynda, that sounds hopeful, I am going to try and be positive about it.

Ann x

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:57:33 PM »

Sorry to hear you have this worry Smokey.  Do you use NSAIs like Ibuprofen as I know this can sometimes cause raised liver enzymes in some people. I hope you soon have reassurance from your doctor x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »

Think it's normally something that effects overweight people but that's not hard and fast as it can effect everyone.

The liver is a very accommodating organ as it constantly regenerates so I really wouldn't worry too much and as BJ says it could just be down to a medication you have been taking as the liver processes everything....

Let us know.

Honeybun
X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »

Many drugs can do this especially anti fungal ones?  Fatty liver has to be fairly bad to affect blood results. Gallstones are a classic one as well.  As you say the list is a bit long for possibles. 
Good that you are having an ultrasound as this will rule out a huge number of causes.
Its always worrying to get questionable results but the good thing is your Dr is doing everything to find out the cause. 

Smokey

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »

Hi everyone, I have found out that it's not just this blood test that showed up increased enzymes in my liver but in the last three and it has been gradually increasing.

I have also been reading the side effects listed in the medications I have/am taking and one has been listed as inflammation or damage to the liver, could this be the culprit?
I am going to ring the doctor tomorrow (if I can get threw) and see what they think.

Why was it not brought up earlier?

Smokey

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »

It does sound like it could be your medication, in which case they would be monitering the results to see if it worsens. A friend of mine had to take anti fungal meds for 6 months and her liver tests were totally off the scale. She had to stop the medication and have repeat tests every month for 6 months and at end all was normal again.
Depending on what enzymes are raised they have a good idea of the cause.  You need to have a discussion with your Dr which hopefully you can arrange after the bank holiday.

SadLynda

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »

HOpefully this means they have been keeping an eye on things, so that is good.

Will be Tuesday now before you can ring, sadly - put them on ringback ;) let us know how you get on.

Smokey

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

Thanks Sadlynda and countrybumpkin

Hope fully I'll be up by 8am tomorrow to make the call, you have to get on the list early for return calls.

Smokey x

Smokey

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »

Well I managed a phone consultation with another Doctor this morning my original one a lady, she said it's possible the tabs side effects have effected my liver, but I'm to still have the scans when I get the appointment to rule out other possibilities.

She didn't seem to worried and said my liver enzymes have increased a bit in 2011 and then reduced back to almost normal In 2012 and increased again in 2014 and a bit more this time, however she said it was only just in the abnormal range.

I said I wanted to come off or at least reduce the Nortriptyline anyway as they were prescribed for tension headaches by my original Nuro nearly five years ago and I didn't know they were a antidepressant at the time and I wouldn't have taken them if I had. I just hope I can cope with any withdraws I have ,if any she has told me how to withdraw them so I'll see how I go.

Just waiting for a letter confirming time and date for my scan now.

Ann x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »

I wouldn't do any withdrawal right now, get the scan over.  Maintaining everything means that nothing will upset the results!!!

Has the medication helped? Regardless that you are against ADs they do have good effects!!! Some medications across the board have been found to help other conditions, what's wrong with that?  Do you have regular appts. with the Nuerologist?

Smokey

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »

Hi Clkd

I'm not against ADs at all I know how they work I was just annoyed I wasn't told what they were in the first place.

I know friends that have taken them and they helped a lot .

I did get a heavy head feeling and tension heads due to meno and they worked quickly for that at 30 mg  but was told to gradually increase them until 100, I am quite sensitive to melds and I wish I had asked if I could stop at a lower dose.

I do see my Nuro every six months, it's not the same one I saw when prescribed ADs he transferred to another hospital.

Ann x

oldsheep

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »

I hope you can get it sorted out Ann and that it's nothing to worry about.
I have no idea about medication and liver enzymes other than that someone told me their friend had had to come off statins because they had caused this too.
Good luck with titrating the ADs if you decide to go that way.
Pages: [1] 2