Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surgical menopause  (Read 6766 times)

Lou44

Surgical menopause
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »

Hi

Are any of you lovely ladies in surgical menopause and taking hrt?

Would you like to share what has/hasnt worked for you? I am 8 weeks post-op and struggling to balance my hormones. I am taking oestrogen only hrt & Vagifem but am suffering with bad joint pains, acid reflux & dry eyes, mouth, everywhere! My levels have increased to 400 but am still getting symptoms of low oestrogen. Very confusing!

Thanks 😀

Hurdity

Re: Surgical menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

Hi Lou44

I just wanted to say  :welcomemm: and to acknowledge how your must be feeling as your body has gone through such a shock. I know there are several women on here in your position and I am sure they will be along to share their experience soon. From what they've said it does seem to take some time for the body to acclimatise and for hormones to settle down, as well as to find the right dose and route of oestrogen replacement.

There is also the issue of testosterone which not all docs seem to recognise - there is info on this site here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php (scroll down) and here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/testosterone.php

Hurdity x

Lou44

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »

Thanks so much Hurdity & I will take a look at those links.

Yes I figure I need to be patient but it's very hard when surgery is the ultimate to sort everything! 😀

Lou

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »

I had hysterectomy in my mid 30s. Apart from last few years I've coped well on oestrogen. It takes a while, but my GP was quite quick off the mark with my HRT, so didn't suffer too much.

However, as you'll discover by looking through past posts we're all very different. Hope you get relief soon.

Lou44

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »

Thanks Cubagirl. Hope you're not struggling too much now. What type of oestrogen are you taking?

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »

400 is not high.  An implant is good for surgical

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »

Hi Lou - it can take quite a few tries to find an HRT which suits you. Which type are you on the moment? The advice from Oxford Hospital for surgical menopause says as much - bottom of page 3 http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files%5C120611menopausehysterectomy.pdf   

Taz x

Lou44

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »

Lancashirelass - what is a safe high level? My gp thought 300 was good. It's not good if I still feel rotten!! Did you try everything else before implants? Did the implant work quickly & how long before it wears off? I can't get then in the south west but have found somewhere in Birmingham that would accept a referral.

Lou44

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »

Tazz thanks for the link. I have previously tried patches & gel whilst on zoladex - my oestrogen went below 40 on gel. On 2mg tablets, have been for months now & still suffering. Gp doesn't know what to do as they just think a reading of 400 is sufficient!

Sarai

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »

I can't offer HRT advice but I have found acid reflux is helped by chewing a few almonds, honestly. Or gaviscon if that fails. Since I stopped drinking decaf tea and just have hot water my acid and wind issues have much improved. Can you get your doc to give you eye drops. I have some really good thick ones in individual sachets.

lancashirelass

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »

My chap is.fine with a.level of up to 700/800 if i feel well.  He wont top me up unless im below 400.  I feel vest around 600/700.  I reacted to patches, gel was.fine but a faff and i would.never use tablets as they a rre.conjugated hrt no thanks.  Implant is convenient works well for me.  They do take a few weeks to kick in they accumulate the.more you have usually last 6 months.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »

You  may find that it's the tablets causing the reflux - I only tried them once (have always preferred patches) and I had heartburn and bowel problems.

Taz x

Lou44

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »

Thanks for all the tips.

Lancashirelass - I think I am probably one of those women too who need higher levels to feel well. Sadly the max dose tablets (plant based bio identical) have been the best of a bad bunch for me, gp won't let me go higher than 2mg, but still have the meno symptoms. Some days worse than others & usually symptoms are worse through night & morning as if oestrogen drops off.

I may ask for referral to discuss other options. A lot of nhs hospitals seem to have stopped doing the implant.

Linsey44

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »

Hi Lou44

Ive been in surgical meno for 18months, was 44 when it happened.

Originally i was on tibolone/livial but wasnt nearly strong enough was having constant flushes etc.

Been on 2 pumps of gel daily for almost a year and have been fine  ish.  Originally i had utrogestan as well but stopped taking that as i felt better without it. think after surgical meno levels do take time to recover.  I cant take any more than 2 pumps dueto BRCA2 mutation so will have to be happy with that.

I have no idea what my levels are, maybe i will ask gp to test it as i am now curious.

Also there is a part of me that thinks we can never truly feel the same as before so we have to accept that.  At least i dont have VA and although i dont sleep right thru anymore its probably better than what some women get so i am grateful for that.

hope this helps amswer your question
Linsey x

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »

Lou44 - you may well achieve higher levels with patches, and I know that there are women on here in your position who take a higher dose than this following surgical menopause. Do also think about the testosterone too and yes hope you manage to get a referral.

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2