Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Driving into Central London  (Read 12059 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Driving into Central London
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »

We use A to Z London books that have proved invaluable as DH has to come to London for conferences/ courses and I tag along and am let loose in London!  We have a large one for planning and a small one for my backpack. Available from good book shops, not just in London. I salute you for doing this trip. I haven't driven in the centre of London, but haven't needed to. My  driving challenge is driving in the USA, which I have avoided up to now. I am lassoing my son, not my DH, for educating me in the differences, apart from driving on the wrong side of the road!

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »

Thanks for suggestions - I've never used AA - went straight from Multi-map ( many many years ago) to Google maps (many years ago) and the AA one is a revelation!!! I mean it looks like they've done copies of all the road signs you come across!!! I'm getting nearer to working out a route. The main problem is I've heard of all the districts but don't know whether they're north south east or west or which side of the river so if I get lost and it says Acton or Hammermsith - I wouldn't know where to go!!! It'll be fine on the way back because my son can help - although he would laugh at a map and will use some App on his Apple!

Yes we must get a new satnav. He's avoided updating it because it costs not much more to get a new one and we are not ones for buying things we don't need (trying to save the planet and all that) so we just carry on with the old out-of-date one because it seems to work for most of what we do!

We might have an A-Z lurking around somewhere.... but I would need to pull over if lost!

Hurdity x  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »

Well I did it!!!!!!!!!! A first for me - drove almost 320 miles there and back, with the journey there on my own - a lot of the drive there in absolutely torrential rain with flooding on the roads. I took the satnav which did work, but as I'd worked out my route I ignored it. Only a couple of points when I wasn't sure which way to go (just after Kew Bridge) and where to turn off where he actually lived as there were lots of traffic light controlled filter lanes and I kept going into the wrong one!

Loaded up the car with all my son's stuff in torrential rain (which caught up with me) and up and down 3 flights of stairs (he was on top floor), so managed to do a work-out as well!

Not a journey I want to do again in a hurry - in fact that distance is too much for me as I was shattered yesterday evening and had a headache (which I've still got) from driving west into the sun for 4 hours late afternoon/evening!

Anyway another thing to tick off my list (well I haven't actually got one), but really pleased to achieve something I didn't think I could do  :).

Hurdity x

dazned

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »

Well done you,no mean feat !  :medal:

purplenanny

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »

Fantastic Hurdity!! You must feel so proud of your achievment. That was no easy task, very well done!
PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »

:medal: 

That reminds me: there's a thread running in the Telegraph about naming SatNavs  ;D - haven't had one tell me 'you're lost' yet!

getting_old

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »

:medal:

Great achievement.

It's not something I've ever tried, after going with some friends many years ago and getting stuck on the Hyde Park roundabout as the taxis wouldn't let friend exit - I think we did around 6 circuits! However DH grew up driving in London and manages to fit a car into the tiniest gap whilst I just enjoy the sights  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »

Well done Hurdity. Glad it went well. I thought of you in all of that rain on Sunday. It absolutely hammered it down here all afternoon.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »

I'd not dare do this anymore, so well done you. Also well done for finding a park! The problems with satnav in London is that they always seem to be at least 50 yards behind where you are even if you drive slooooowly.
I find google maps on my phone a bit better.

babyjane

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »

Very well done. 

The one and only time we drove in London we broke down on the North Circular Road at 6.30pm on a Sunday night with my husband due to start a new job the next day and no breakdown insurance. This was in 1979 in a mini. I seem to remember it was raining then too.
Pages: 1 [2]