Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: things to help relex and destress  (Read 10975 times)

Cm1

things to help relex and destress
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »

Iv found over the last few months that i need things in my life that help me stay carm and that i can focus on rather than the negative thoughts, so i was wondering what you guys do?

I like baking, gardening, and i always have a pile of book that im reading,

How about you?

Galadriel

Re: things to help relex and destress
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:29:58 AM »

oooOOOoo - Good topic!

I find that when I'm focused on something else, I stop fretting and worrying away at things.
The garden is one of my favourites - weeding and general tidying up, to just sitting in it and admiring it. At the moment we have a huge butterfly bush in full flower and it is covered in all sorts of butterflies, honey bees and bumble bees. My raspberry canes are in full production mode so I quite like just nipping out and eating a handful of fresh fruit.
I also have a nice bicycle and flattish roads nearby. I don't go out for training, I go out to play on it!! There is one tiny little slope that I love hitting at top speed so I can freewheel down the other side with my feet off the pedals, shouting 'weeeeeeee' as I come round the corner. One of these days I will meet a neighbour  ;D
Knitting is good too - especially if there is a pattern to concentrate on.

And finally - if I wake early and can't get back to sleep, I play a Yoga Nidra meditation on my iPad. It puts me into a state of deep relaxation.

Galadriel x

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »

Singing! I always feel better after practising. I plan to practice for a short time, then find an hour or so passes. I shut the door and windows and in the past waited till there was no one around. Now DH says I make a pleasing background noise.  ;D

Walking and appreciating the beautiful countryside.

Cm1

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »

Im new to gardening, discovering gardeners world so relaxing got me started, though my friends find it amusin. I think after hitting 40 iv stopped doing what i think i should be doing and embracing what i find is good for me.

Dulciana

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »

Singing! I always feel better after practising. I plan to practice for a short time, then find an hour or so passes. I shut the door and windows and in the past waited till there was no one around. Now DH says I make a pleasing background noise.  ;D

;D  It must be working, Ju Ju!     Ditto myself!
Another of my foibles is to lie on the floor with headphones on, listening to music - our living room is double height, so I can dream into the rafters!   
My daughter also signed me up for "This week in cats", which pops into my inbox on Fridays, so that when I get back from teaching, I can curl up and look at pussy cats being sweet, daft etc.    Sooo relaxing at the end of the week. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »

Deep bubble bath, cuppa and Very Good Book
Gardening - when anxiety allows a Good Wander around a garden centre relaxes me
Planning next year's planting etc. by making lists focusses me
Sitting by our ponds
Walking with DH - out of the way of other people

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »

Reading,crocheting,gardening.
Just bought one of those colouring books( Art therapy for adults).

SadLynda

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »

4 years ago I started to teach myself to draw and paint (it can be done).  So Art is my escape.  Not done so much last few months though, felt so dire and not enough free time with work and daughter drama, parents etc.  Hope to get back to it one day..

thorntrees

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »

Knitting, crocheting,doing free future learn courses on line and just got a mindfulness colouring book. My grandaughtet(13) and I exchange pictures we have coloured.

Thorntrees

Dulciana

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:18:26 AM »

Oh, my music..........I don't half need it at the moment.   Very upsetting things that just shouldn't be happening to a very close family member.    I'm mighty thankful that I can go to the organ and lose myself in the music.   Definitely very therapeutic.   :)

Cm1

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »

Im not sure if your music tastes ladies but im s huge fan of a band called blue october, the best first time song to listen to is feel again, the lead singer has been on an incredibly hard journey with addiction and depression and has come through it to rebuild a happy healthy life. My friend introduced me to the band and they have rely got me through some tough times, i was lucky enough to go to a gig last year when he was touring, it was so amazing!

Dulciana

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »

Really glad this group's music has helped you so much, Cm1 and that you were able to go and see them last year.  What I love about music - any sort - is that it's "in the moment" and you can listen to it with your eyes shut, too, if you want to.   Total escapism!   It's classical music with me, but the same goes for all music.   I hope you go on enjoying it.   :)

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »

I find it very difficult to totally relax. Things always seem to be busy...but the things that help.

Sitting by the sea when the weather permits, gardening as growing veggies is the best thing. Reading and knitting especially in the winter all cuddled up cozy and warm.
Walking with hubby. I am also doing some scrap booking. For some reason I never did a baby book for my daughter. I have a lovely album that I am filling with photos and events from birth till her 21st that is in November. I just hope she likes it.

Honeybun
X

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »

I forgot one thing that I've always found really relaxing and stress-busting:  watching snow falling at the same time as listening to Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"..................sigh!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »

>sigh< indeed - I ought to ask 'who's Mike Oldfield?' however  ;D
Pages: [1] 2