Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy - how does it feel?  (Read 26331 times)

Re: Vaginal atrophy - how does it feel?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »

A watery discharge that is different to when we were fertile is a sign of VA......I had loads of watery cream discharge and gynae saw it and said was very typical of VA......vagifem stopped it.

Hrm. I DO have pretty strange discharge actually. The strange thing being how it can be wet and dry-feeling at the same time. But the weirdest thing that's developed over the last few years is the on-and-off strange smelling discharge. Not foul as in infection but...weird. It actually smells like smoked sausage...  ??? (Can't even believe I'm wrinting this...!) Can't remember when it started exactly, but I haven't always had this.

Sarai

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 02:09:55 PM »

20032003 I got vagifem today.
My bits feel itchy and sore if rubbed but the GP said it all looks healthy and oh yes there is a bit of moisture there. So I understand your confusion. I'm confused too. Right now I'm having cystitis symptoms, keeping me awake. That's why I gave in. I so hope they go soon.

ancient runner

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »

So 20032003 you've got the cream - what's the worst can happen if you try it? Sounds like VA. If the cream works that may confirm it and if it doesn't... you either need something stronger or it's not VA.  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »

I was dry and itchy on the inside of the outer labia and the outside of the inner labia, if you see what I mean.

I had a wet discharge, which went drippy, so I had to use a sanitary towel rather than a liner and as I had just had vaginal surgery, it was worrying, especially when it was blood-tinged. 

One doctor I saw early on who did a swab said it looked thrushy, then said that we get different discharges at different times (as if you don't know this by 49  ::) )  It went with abs, came back and went with thrush meds, came back with a vengeance when I couldn't sit, and was sorted with ab cream, then vagifem.

Any discharge, moisturiser, period, etc made it worse.  I think the surgery made it more obvious.

If I don't use the vagifem enough, I get sore and swollen.

The only time I have a noticeably dry vagina is when I am using tampons, but then not using them has problems too.  It is like the ordinary mucus part has vanished.

Sarai

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »

dahliagirl with regards to my diet you asked about. I started late last year drinking coconut water and eating a few pieces of red liquorice (I hate black). Then I admit I had a massive fright going fir tests after a mammogram. That day was a big cure for constipation. Lol. Anyway I gave up sweet drinks, now only have boiled water hot or cold plus coconut water. I eat loads of almonds and hazelnuts and a few raisins. Eat porridge with linseed in and fake sugar. More fruit and veg.
I do honestly think hormones are playing a part as periods are well spaced out now.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »

So 20032003 you've got the cream - what's the worst can happen if you try it? Sounds like VA. If the cream works that may confirm it and if it doesn't... you either need something stronger or it's not VA.  :)

I know. I'm so silly... It's those hypothetical side-effects that I worry about. I keep telling myself that a country like Sweden  (safety first ;) ) wouldn't sell them over the counter if they were horribly dangerous. But then I start doubting things again... :(

rantywoman

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »

Hi Rantywoman - I think that lots of doctors advise that HRT should be stopped by the age of 60 and I think you are 57/58? This may be why you have been told two years maxium. However it is worth fighting to be allowed to stay on it if your overall health is good. I was taken off at 59 and now, at 61, am back on full HRT as the symptoms all came back.

Did you go back onto the HRT you were using alongside the Vagifem?

Taz x
Fe

Hi Taz, sorry for the late reply but I was called away to look after my elderly parents who live 120 miles away from me.

I will be 58 in October so yes, you are right, that is probably why my GP is saying two years maximium.I started on the full hrt about six months ago after using only Vagifem for the previous year.
Are you on a long term low dose now?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »

We have a few threads about caring for elderly relatives here somewhere  ::)

rantywoman

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 08:55:35 PM »

Ooh cheers, I'll have to go find it! I'm now understanding why we're called the sandwich generation..... ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »

Let us know if you get stuck - use the search button …..

Despite regular vaginal treatment I have had itchiness for a few days  >:( so have bought some LIVE yoghurt to swallow  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »

I was on Evorel 50 and then FemSeven 50 but now have been swapped to Estradot 50.

Taz x

rantywoman

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »

Are you finding the Estradot an improvement on the Femseven Taz? That's just estradiol isn't it? I'm on the Femseven Conti, combined estradiol and levonorgestrel but I just wish there was a lower dose patch. I've been cutting it in half or three quarters but am worried in case I'm not getting a proper balance doing that.
Pages: 1 [2]