Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Leg/hip pain  (Read 3991 times)

Joyce

Leg/hip pain
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »

Getting pain on outside of legs at top near hip. First it was only one leg, now both. Fine when resting but quite sharp sometimes on walking. This has resulted in me walking differently & getting lower back pain. Getting back massage on Saturday which may help, but off on holiday in a week's time. Oh the joys of ageing! I've googled, yes I know, but was really looking for some sort of solution. It said not to wear heels & wear flats, but I'm seldom in heels these days, once or twice a year at most & even then not that high.

honeybun

Re: Leg/hip pain
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »

You have my sympathy CG.

When I was at the GP last week she told me to look on NHS Inform website for good advice and excercises. Have to say it's quite good. Don't know if there would be anything thing there for you.

Honeyb
X

SadLynda

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »

Hi Cubagirl
you might hate me for this, but going to say it anyway ;)

yoga and acupuncture. I went to acupuncture for my sciatica, I 'thought' my hip pain was needing a new one, and could barely walk the dogs each day.  I am now a dog walker, as the acupuncture cured the hip pain, and as you say the back pain from not walking right, and the knee pain too.

The yoga keeps it all moving, I am also working on my postute in general to improve things (better late than never).

I have heard others have good results from private physio too.  No joy on nhs, but do with private.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »

Of course I don't hate you! I've been swimming to keep things moving. Not sure where this pain came from. Today I've put on a medium heel & it actually feels a bit better.  I've  visited a private osteopath in the past, but it becomes very expensive, though you do get a good massage. I'm having a massage on Saturday, they know my aches very well.

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »

ppphew, some people hate it when I mention it.  But I just 'have' to share.  Standing can still give me a few twinges, having a few just now.

I know it can get pricey, mine was £30 a session (as I do yoga with him too) and I needed 3 go's that I did fortnightly - but worth every penny (of my husbands hard earned).

Hope your massage helps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 03:53:29 PM »

Hip pain is always in the groin.  Back problems are over the outer side of what we know as the 'hip', i.e. over the buttock bum muscle ………. radiation of pain via the sciatic nerve or one of the others on the outer side.

Snowball

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »

Hi Cubagirl
I have been having similar problems over the past 3 months.  I saw my GP a few weeks ago and he diagnosed it as greater trochanteric pain syndrome

http://patient.info/health/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome

He poked me at the point where the hip is at the widest and that hurt but mobility in my hips is actually fine.  I too was moving differently to 'save' the sore bit and my groin muscle got all inflamed and my leg went numb (that is what made me make the appointment with the GP).  GP gave me prescriptions for anti inflammatories and pain relief which I took at first but don't need now, though it is still not totally better.  I think I hurt the leg initially doing some heavy lifting but now I find that gardening or walking uphill aggravates it, as do tight trousers - so no jeans for me  :(

For your holiday, I would suggest that you wear something loose - either a skirt or stretchy, wide leg trousers so that the muscle isn't being pinched while you sit. Maybe see your GP or pharmacist about pain relief too if you are flying long distance?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »

:thankyou:  Snowball - that reminded me, Trochanteric bursitis ….

libby1

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »

Me too  :(

I"ve been doing quite a lot of walking over the past couple of weeks which may have aggravated something. I also have a dodgy knee on the same side which is also playing up, must be getting old  :-\

Libby
x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »

:thankyou:  Snowball - that reminded me, Trochanteric bursitis ….
I was going to suggest that.  I've had it in the past and boy, is it painful.  Twice I had cortisone injections into the are - first time it worked but second time not so good.  I had acupuncture in the end that seems to have sorted it out.....

Lisette

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 05:58:12 AM »

Yes...me too. It comes and goes. Really makes me limp sometimes !! What's the next joy I ask myself. X