Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cause of Prolonged Bleeding?  (Read 6663 times)

toffeecushion

Cause of Prolonged Bleeding?
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »

Does anyone know what causes prolonged bleeding?  Is it too much estrogen or progesterone or too little?

Dancinggirl

Re: Cause of Prolonged Bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »

Hi toffeecushion
I think there are a number of things that can cause erratic and prolonged bleeding.  I believe it is common if there are fibroids or polyps.  It is often just a symptoms of the peri meno stage - there are months when one doesn't ovulate and this throws the hormone balance out, the womb lining doesn't shed properly and results in prolonged bleeding at other times.  Progesterone is usually offered to control bleeding but The Mirena is often fitted for ladies who have these problems as it can really help. DG x

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »

Thanks DG, this is the 3rd period in a row that just won't stop.  The 1st one I was bleeding for 24 days, then 18 days and now it is 19 days and so on going.  It's not always heavy, but a little inconvenient.  I just wondered if I was lacking estrogen or progesterone.  Doctor isn't concerned, says it is normal.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:24:41 PM »

toffeecushion - my peri stage was like this - I seemed to get to the end of a period and it would start again.  I got hormonal headaches as well.  We all experience the peri stage differently and it can take a few years before the periods finally stop. It's all very difficult to handle and starting a low dose of HRT would help to control the fluctuations if it's something you want to try. DG x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »

I had this during peri and was told by hospital it was due to oestrogen dominence which is why some people have mirena coil fitted once others causes have been ruled out as my friend did.
I would go up to 3 months no bleed then start bleeding either very heavily for up to 2 weeks or worse was when I would spot bleed for up to 6 weeks ending in severe flooding for 3 days that meant I could not leave the house.
Have you been to the GP for blood tests as anaemia is common due to blood loss and they might want to send you for further tests to find out the cause but its very common in perimenopause ::)

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »

How long did this type of bleeding last for the two of you?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 04:59:43 PM »

I had erratic bleeding for a couple of years then went on HRT so I don't now how long it was till my natural periods stopped completely.  This all happened in my mid 30s!! DG x

Briony

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »

A number of my friends, all in their late 30s/early 40s, have experienced this. Some have had it checked out, then done nothing once they knew it's 'normal' (albeit v annoying);  others have taken HRT, Qlaira or had a Mirena fitted to ease the bleeding. One of the things Qlaira is designed for is to help control bleeding in peri. It's hlped me a lot - though it's down to personal choice. Maybe worth discussing your options with your GP?

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »

I get prolonged bleeding if I do not take enough progesterone which I must take as part of the HRT regime.  I am intolerant to progesterone and sometimes cut it back and that can cause a period to go on for 14 days instead of the usual 5 - it's the same volume of blood but over a longer period of time.  Hope that helps.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »

I had it for 2 years and had two lots of invasive tests ( hysteroscopy/ d and c under ga) and all was well it was they said due to my lack of progesterone so I was oestrogen dominent.  I didn't want a mirena coil or hysterectomy as suggesed.
I then say private Dr who prescibed me natural progesterone cream and within 6 weeks the problem was solved as was my ongong ovarian cyst.
I know some people don't agree with the natural progesterone cream but it worked for me!

toffeecushion

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »

I've had a hysterocopy and they found a polyp which might cause more bleeding but I don't see why a polyp would cause my periods to be irregular so think the cause is hormonal

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 09:26:37 PM »

does sound like you have two issues going on.  The polyp could cause bleeding but not usually excessive bleeding although i may be wrong here 8) 

Aren't our hormones wondeful!

toffeecushion

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 11:36:20 PM »

Just found this

In the perimenopausal years, decreased ovarian sensitivity to FSH and LH renders estrogen levels insufficient to produce the LH surge and ovulation. The corpus luteum cyst therefore does not form, so progesterone is not secreted. Progesterone not only stimulates ovulation, it blocks estrogen's ability to increase endometrial growth. In the absence of the LH surge, then, the follicles continue to produce estrogen, and the endometrium grows and thickens. Eventually the endometrium will outgrow its vascular support and shed, causing unpredictable medium-to-heavy bleeding.

Due to the lack of progesterone, there is no vasoconstriction of the spiral vessels within the endometrium and no orderly collapse to induce hemostasis as in normal menstrual bleeding. As a result, the bleeding can be spontaneous, heavy, and prolonged. Conversely, bleeding may be very light if estrogen release is too low to allow the endometrium to grow.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »

That explains exactly what happened to me and probably why the natural progesterone cream I used made it better :)

Thanks for the explanation, I knew the basics but not in such depth.

Briony

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

Thanks TC, that's really interesting. It also explains why on a very low dose of pill I am having spotting but almost no end of month bleed at all. Dont know about you guys, but sometimes I wish I had listened better to science lessons at school!        ::)
Pages: [1] 2