Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cold Calling  (Read 12749 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Cold Calling
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »

Anyone know if this is Legal in the UK  :-\ - I've seen an advert today which sites cold calling as part of the job.

honeybun

Re: Cold Calling
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »

I take it you mean over the phone.

I have a neat trick that has stopped a lot of calls that starts with.....are you the home owner.
My answer is...no I rent and they go away never to return   ;D

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »

I always say that I'm the cleaner...

Cold calling is legal CLKD.

Taz x

SueRoe

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »

If you register with the telephone preference service (online, easy-peasy, register your mobile as well as your landline). Calls should peter out then stop over a couple of weeks. Anyone who then cold calls you is in breach of the data protection act. When you point this out they won't bother you again (that's the theory anyway - we rarely if ever get cold calls).

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »

We're with TPS and a lot of ours have stopped but they can't prevent the ones which are generated outside of the UK which is a pain. I've had seven today from the USA and India. Not happy!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »

At least this advert is up front that cold calling is part of what the employee is expected to do  :-\

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »

We have bought a new landline phone that blocks unwanted calls. Not had an unwanted call since. Love it.

dazned

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:08:11 AM »

Oh that's good ,where did you get it from,what's it called,make etc please ?

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »

I never answer my mobile phone unless I recognise the number. I rarely give my number out, just family and close friends. I get a lot of calls from scam numbers, which I check on the internet. I was pestered with texts from a well known parcel delivery company about some parcel to be collected 300 miles from here. Nothing to do with me. After ignoring them for a while, I emailed a strongly worded message. No apology was forthcoming, but the texts have stopped.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »

Years ago I had a job for a charity which involved cold calling. It was to get people to do a collection in their own area.
People can be very very rude and it was really difficult......so.....even though I hate the calls I appreciate it's just someone trying to make a living so I'm always polite even when I don't want to be  ::)

Honeyb
x

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »

Sent you a PN dazned. Not sure if I'm allowed to put the make, etc on here.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:16 PM »

You're allowed to mention brands littleminnie but not to post a link which has a "buy" facility on it.

Taz x

SueRoe

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »

I often turn the ringer of our phone off then in the early evening when it suits me I go through any messages and call back anyone I want or need to call. In other words I use the answering service as a call filter so I'm not dealing with unwanted calls during the day. Only really of benefit if you won't be paying for the calls you make ! I never give out my mobile number (family only) and our landline number is exdirectory. After all, an incoming call is a request for your attention not a command.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »

My mobile rang this morning but not a ring tone I recognised  ::)  :-\ didn't answer.

I have an answer machine on the land line so rarely pick up the phone …… there are people I don't want to talk to  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

I have a new mobile which is a clamshell design.  You have to open it to answer so cannot see the caller before answering. 
Pages: [1] 2 3