Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SUGAR  (Read 10392 times)

hanging.on.in.there

SUGAR
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »

Arrghh all this talk about restricting our sugar intake in the news is making me want more !
I have a healthy balanced diet, am not overweight and have days when no sugar passes my lips, but when I want cake, then only cake will do !
Same for sweets- I can't imagine a life without sugar !
Yes moderation is the key, but god the Nanny state is taking the fun out of life ! Go away ! ! 

babyjane

Re: SUGAR
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »

oh how I agree.  My husband is driving me up the wall watching all the 'superfood' warning programmes and news reports.

All we need is common sense not this constant confusion.  And yes, I have just made my usual batch of cakes for the weekend .   :)

'All things in moderation' and 'a little of what you fancy does you good'  ::)

Just to add to the Nanny State -  my grandmothers were both over 90 when they died and my paternal grandmother and my parents had all their own teeth and none of them were overweight, so there  :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:12:14 PM by babyjane »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »

Whereas - a lot of my family put on weight from age about 40  :o but didn't seem to recognise why ……. do-nuts anyone  :-X

It's hidden sugars that are the danger: in soups, prepared meals, jams, chutneys …….. so starting to cook from scratch can ease those out of our diets.  A different buying mentality so that the stock cupboard is never empty, basics so that a meal can be thrown together …… remember left over meals?  Roast on Sunday followed by cold with salad or beans/mash, bubble and squeak ……. and puddings that really did fill the stomach, with custard or golden syrup  :-*  :-*

My Gran always put sugar on her lettuce  ::) and she lived until she was 80+ …….. but as a child she walked 4 miles to school and 4 miles back with a slab of bread and dripping for lunch.  It's lack of exercise in our Life-style that doesn't help.

I have found that chocolate tastes awful these days and makes my body feel sluggish.  I don't have much in the way of soups unless I'm suddenly hungry …….. my weakness currently is 'mousse' with chocolate flavouring  ::)  :-* …..

Gill Mojo

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »

Having suffered with what my nan used to call 'tummy troubles' for the last month, with no apparent cause for it, I have begun a gluten and dairy free regime which does seem to have fixed, or at least alleviated, the problem. However, I am bu**ered if I am going to cut out sweet stuff too :D

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »

My Gran always put sugar on her lettuce  ::) and she lived until she was 80+ ……..

so did mine CLKD.  She's sprinkle it on bread and butter too.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::) …….. trying something 'new' can ease symptoms, even a day without eating too much gives the gut a break.  I find if I don't take my evening meds it helps my bowels the next day.  Sorry I digress  :D

Trying to think what has sugar in: I have granola and milk with a black cuppa + 2 sugars for brekkies: another cuppa mid morning: sometimes shop bought biscuits to go with the cuppa; I don't avoid buns if my body needs them but if not I can walk by the cake shop.  Little chocolate. Cuppas in the afternoon as well as my choc milkshake in the evenings which will have sugar in.  I do lots of gardening, some walking, a little housework, I push a trolley round the store (does that count?).  Bananas = natural sugars plus being slow release ………

I think it's OK for Governments/GPs to remind it's populace to eat healthy and exercise well.  Also our dentists can have an impact ……. but I can't be bothered to read labels on yoghurts etc.!

Oh yes - sugar sandwich  :-*

I like's HP sauce on hot toast ;-)

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »

there was always mashed banana sprinkled with brown sugar when we went to my Nanna's  :)  No one even thought about it but, as you say, everything was made from scratch and controlled, not hidden sugars to make bland processed stuff taste nice so we eat more of it  :(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »

I think that food was 'filling' until the 1980s when ready meals came to the shelves.  Also we didn't eat between meals, if the Ice cream van arrived it was a treat!

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 02:40:47 PM »

that's true, there was no snacking, or 'grazing'. 

Anyone remember Vesta meals?  I reckon that's where it all started........

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 02:42:01 PM »

;D ………

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »

Heck CLKD, that's a lot of sugar every day.

The trouble with sugar is its empty calories, doesn't fill you up at all.

I don't take sugar in or on anything. Obviously I get it in cakes and biscuits but as I don't eat them either hardly, I don't think it amounts to much. My weakness is a bit of chocolate or a jelly bean. I have two squares usually or four beans. I have been on the low sugar thing so long I get queasy if I eat too much sweet stuff.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »

It's teaspoons though, not shovel fulls  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 02:48:18 PM »

I buy a 500g bag of caster sugar and it will last at least a month, sometimes more.  I need it in the house for visitors who like it in their tea or on their cornflakes.  I occasionally bake if people are coming but that's all it is used for. 

I used to have my grandmother's sweet tooth but now I dislike sweet stuff.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »

That's what I used to do though and the sugar mounts up during the day in cups of tea.

I cut it out purely for weight reasons. I think I bought a bag of sugar last year and it's still in the back of the cupboard  ::) I don't miss it at all as your taste buds alter.

I do bake though occasionally for the family and use sugar then.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »

We buy 24 bags at a time from the bulk-buy warehouse  ;) …….. can't not have sugar in my tea   :o
Pages: [1] 2 3