Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem with neighbour's gardens  (Read 7843 times)

Joyce

Problem with neighbour's gardens
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »

We have one neighbour who seldom tends his garden. It is a midden, grass & weeds are 2-3 feet high. Last year he got someone in who just used a strimmer about 4 times from April to October time. Not a thing this year so far.
This year we now have foreign neighbours renting another house behind us, they have not touched the garden once. It is landscaped with chuckies, but the weeds are nearing 2 feet in some cases. I've never had to weed so much in ages. Our garden is landscaped too, but I swear weeds are appearing in great numbers on a daily basis.
If we were in council estate, we could complain to local authority, but can't as it is private housing. Newish neighbours have complained to both occupants, but to no avail.  The owner of rented house would have a fit if she saw her garden now. I'm considering complaining to letting agent if nothing gets done soon.
Anyone else with such problems?

Gill Mojo

Re: Problem with neighbour's gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:34:49 AM »

Firstly, one man's weeds are another man's flowers. I personally like a little bit of weed in the garden to help insects and especially bees, but I do understand most people don't see it that way. I'd look at both gardens and see havens for wildlife, but most would just see laziness.

Anyhoo, I would try talking directly to the neighbours first, perhaps even offering to help clear? Not sure if the gent is older, maybe finding it hard to maintain the garden, or simply too busy. If that brings no results, perhaps try getting together with neighbours and approaching the problem with a joint effort? Failing that, I'd pop a note through each door informing them of my intentions to talk to the letting agent/whoever owns the properties. If this doesn't bring about any results you may just have to live with the problem as a few weeds aren't worth getting legal over.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »

I rent and there is ALWAYS something in the contract about upkeep of garden, often including details about how often the lawns should be mown and saying borders must be kept weed-free.  So I would be surprised if the person in the rented house was not breaking their contract.  Be worth chatting to the letting agent if you know who it is.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:54:13 AM »

On one side of us the neighbours have allowed the 'hedge' to grow to well over 30 feet high. It does not effect our light, but the roots have damaged our drive. We have had it repaired and the offending roots were cut out. Now the drive is becoming increasingly bumpy again and we have concerns for our house. DH has approached the neighbours every so often and they kept saying they would do something. We could have taken the legal route, but that costs money we don't possess and may well create other problems. However they came round to say they have arranged to have the whole hedge removed in October and could they have access via our property, which is the most practical solution. Hooray, progress, but watch this space. Will it really happen?

star35

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »

Hi Cubagirl I would definitely have a word with the letting agent as most contracts are the same and there is a part in there that says the garden has to be maintained. If the letting agent is managing the property then they will deal with it if not they will contact the owner.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »

I believe that the Council has powers even in private estates.  FACT: if it's thistles then the land owner is obliged by Law to get rid of them  ;)

Start with your Council and the Enviornment Agency (different organisations). Know that if someone is employed they are not allowed to burn rubbish, they have to take it to the Council tip and have Paper work accordingly.  We drive past a travellers' site 2/3 times a week and it's obvious how they spend their days  ::)  :-X

Or take over the plot  ;).  Ask the local Gardening Club if they can approach the householder who may be glad of some help 
:-\.  My front garden looks a 'mess' because I allowed the germinated wild bird seed to grow into grass and now the sparrows are on it, also 5 years ago I threw 2 packets of blue flax seed and this year it's flowered  :o.  Dilema now is, leave it for another Summer or pull it all out …….

If Letting Agents are like those around here, they takes the money but don't follow up ……….  :(.  Estate Agents usually have gardeners to keep properties tidy due to vested interest.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »

Daughter lives in rented property in England. They have to keep garden tidy. She hasn't the time & her partner isn't fit enough as ill health continues to plague him. She decided to get a jobbing  gardener in. She says it's worth every penny.

Hubby says we need to mind our own business!

Hopefully letting agent will pay them a visit sometime to make sure things are not getting damaged etc.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »

My Hubby would say similar Cubagirl but it would nark me  >:( - Letting Agents here tend to visit before clients move in and after to check for damage.  I know the owner though which helps …… and she asks if there's anything not being done in the garden for example.

Let us know how you get on.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »

Our neighbours tell us every spring that they are 'going to see to the garden this year'.  That has been 10 years now  ::)

As these are the neighbours we had an altercation with a couple of weeks ago I think we will leave well alone...........

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »

We had dreadful trouble with a neighbour neglecting her garden. It was a complicated arrangement with quite a few flats sharing certain areas and then branching off into our own garden space. This neighbour hated using a bin and rubbish piled up and grass grew very long. I was so fed up I did something very naughty. I reported her to environmental health and said I had seen rats....not strictly true but something had been around. She was made to clean up and keep her grass short and tended. Sorted  ;D

Not sure what your options are CG but I do sympathise.

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »

I had a flat once with a shared washing green. No-one used it and the grass was waist high. I set about it with a heugh and cut it - and kept it cut. Everyone started to use it - I was well unchuffed esp. as no-one else offered to cut it.

Bramble
PS. where I am at the moment there are two gardens within spitting distance both of which are wild. I have learned to ignore them.

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »

Neighbour in rented house has cleared all his weeds! Other neighbour has used Strimmer to cut back some of his grass. Result!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »

Was it something you said or did you give them 'the look'  ;D

getting_old

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »

Fairly sure our neighbours hate us, oh well  :P
DH tries to keep the lawn mowed but I've given up with the flower bed - every year some horrific weed takes over and no matter what we do (chippings, barrier, stones, etc.) it just grows. Add in my tennis elbow and I've decided that it's the rustic look this year.

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »

At least your DH tries to mow the lawn. Our neighbour has never lifted a finger to it. OK maybe he's not able to, but he could get someone to tend it. It gets the chop once a year, twice if we're lucky. I've got weeds that no amount of weedkiller will kill. They wither, then next hello up they pop again. Our garden is all stones & feature flagstones these days as I couldn't keep up with number of times it needed done due to back pain. Hubby would do the grass occasionally.

I certainly  gave the gardens 'the look' CLKD. Maybe they saw me.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2