Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Citalopram  (Read 9161 times)

Greenfields

Citalopram
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

When I see the Dr next week I don't know whether to ask her to put me on a low dose of Citalopram.  (I am going to ask her about the beta blockers first though).

My anxiety hasn't been unmanageable recently but, if and when I return to Canada, I'm not sure how the lead up to that is going to play out in terms of my stress levels.  I guess I'll find out a little bit when I'm able to make a visit to Canada (hopefully soon).

But I've been wondering ... if I was put on a very very low level of Citalopram, would the side effects be as severe to begin with?  Only I would hate to have to deal with the side effects of a new medication as well as preparing to move back to Canada at the same time.

On the other hand, exercise is keeping me on a reasonably even keel at the moment (even though I get anxious in the mornings) but, as things get busy, I will have less time to do exercise daily (or almost daily) and I wonder what will happen to my stress levels as they ramp up if and when I am able to move..

Has anyone got any experience of being put on a very very low dose of Citalopram?  How did it impact you if you went on it this way? 

In some ways, I kind of wish I had gone on it a little while ago but exercising has helped enormously - its just keeping it up which is going to be challenging.  My GP referral at the sports centre expires on August 13th.  I plan - if I can manage it - to move back to Canada by mid-September.  So for about a month I will have to pay as I go for exercise as I won't want to commit to a membership plan - so that's going to be expensive (though worth it). 

Joyce

Re: Citalopram
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »

I'm on 10mg Citalopram. First couple of weeks felt more anxious & nauseous, but was told this could happen. After that been fine. Not saying I don't get the odd anxiety blip, but under much better control than previously.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »

Yes I tried it and for me it was a horrible experience. I took it after dinner and by the middle of the night I was vomiting and had awful shakes....never again for me. It took me a couple of days to feel ok again and that was the lowest dose.
Just shows how different we all are.

I would rather take the occasional Diazapam to cope with at the time anxiety. Most GPs will prescribe a few for this kind of use.

Honeybun
X

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »

Yes I tried it and for me it was a horrible experience. I took it after dinner and by the middle of the night I was vomiting and had awful shakes....never again for me. It took me a couple of days to feel ok again and that was the lowest dose.
Just shows how different we all are.

I would rather take the occasional Diazapam to cope with at the time anxiety. Most GPs will prescribe a few for this kind of use.

Honeybun
X

Oh that sounds like my experience with Sertraline - it took me almost 2 weeks to get over taking 2 doses of it! Think I might ask the Dr for some Diazapam .. it's just that I know that the benzodiazepines are very very addictive so it's not something I would want to get into the habit of taking regularly.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 07:21:43 PM »

I take very very occasionally. GPs only prescribe a few. Sometimes it's just enough for me to know that they are there if I need them.

I really really wanted an AD to work for my anxiety but sadly after that experience I was not prepared to try again. Perhaps if I had persevered things would have improved but I just felt so very ill I was scared to even contemplate. So now I take my beta blocker, my HRT and a Vit B supplement. I also rely on my Dr Clair Weekes book that explains the reasons why I feel the way I do and how to cope. That's it really.
You have to dig really deep some days.....and I know that you do.
I don't have any choice, I have family members that need me to keep plodding forwards.

Honeybun
X

Rebelyell

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »

I took it for four months - 10mg - as I couldn't control my anxiety.  I started on one every other day for a week then one a day.  At the start my anxiety worsened, but then I flattened out and it stopped all the physical symptoms, and my hot flushes.  But I lost my appetite and had dreadful stomach/bowel problems.  I also felt very flat and dislocated from the world.  I decided to come off and tapered my dose over a month but still had side effects from withdrawal.  My bowels have never recovered and I now feel I have IBS for the first time ever.

My anxiety is off the scale at the moment but I absolutely will not go back on them as I hate the digestive upset.  Having said that, I know it suits some people and really wish it had suited me as I would love something to stop my panic attack symptoms.  Just think about whether medication upsets your tummy.  If not, give it a go.   But actually I think you should try and find a way to stick to exercise, as you have already come a long way without and you don't want to add another problem. 

Good luck.

Greenfields

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

I take very very occasionally. GPs only prescribe a few. Sometimes it's just enough for me to know that they are there if I need them.

I really really wanted an AD to work for my anxiety but sadly after that experience I was not prepared to try again. Perhaps if I had persevered things would have improved but I just felt so very ill I was scared to even contemplate. So now I take my beta blocker, my HRT and a Vit B supplement. I also rely on my Dr Clair Weekes book that explains the reasons why I feel the way I do and how to cope. That's it really.
You have to dig really deep some days.....and I know that you do.
I don't have any choice, I have family members that need me to keep plodding forwards.

Honeybun
X

How much beta blocker do you take (dose and frequency of dose?) - you sound like you have a very similar physiology to mine which is why I'm asking. 

I'm going to talk to the Dr on Monday about perhaps taking beta blockers daily as I'm really struggling with early morning jitters, nausea and anxiety at the moment and would like to try and figure out a way of coping with this better as it really impacts me.  I did yoga and meditation this morning which helped but still ... it takes a while for me to get going and while I'm practicing cultivating acceptance of whatever feelings and sensations are present, it's very hard so a little chemical help for the anxiety would I think really help my body at the moment!

At present I'm taking 2 to 3 fish oil supplements a day plus the HRT.  I'm going to get some Deflatine for the terrible gas and bloating I've been experiencing as well.  But I don't want to keep adding more and more meds unless I absolutely have to.  I have thought about trying Kalms though.

Greenfields

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »

I took it for four months - 10mg - as I couldn't control my anxiety.  I started on one every other day for a week then one a day.  At the start my anxiety worsened, but then I flattened out and it stopped all the physical symptoms, and my hot flushes.  But I lost my appetite and had dreadful stomach/bowel problems.  I also felt very flat and dislocated from the world.  I decided to come off and tapered my dose over a month but still had side effects from withdrawal.  My bowels have never recovered and I now feel I have IBS for the first time ever.

My anxiety is off the scale at the moment but I absolutely will not go back on them as I hate the digestive upset.  Having said that, I know it suits some people and really wish it had suited me as I would love something to stop my panic attack symptoms.  Just think about whether medication upsets your tummy.  If not, give it a go.   But actually I think you should try and find a way to stick to exercise, as you have already come a long way without and you don't want to add another problem. 

Good luck.

Yes I've heard that it can really upset your bowels and I have very sensitive bowels and in the past have had IBS - so thank you for sharing that.

I did 30 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes of meditation this morning and that helped a bit - its just so difficult waking up in the morning and feeling like shit though - jittery, nauseous etc.

Do you take anything else at all for anxiety or panic?  I've been wondering about trying Kalms?  I'm also going to speak to my Dr next week about taking beta blockers regularly to see whether that helps.

donnacrichton

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »

I had a bad experience with citalopram & proactive but everyone is different but I know I would hate to try another x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »

I take 10mg in the morning and that's it. I have occasionally taken another after lunch but have felt very washed out with little to no energy afterwards.
I have also tried one at bedtime but had disturbed sleep so that didn't work either  :P

Me and meds just don't get on at all.

I really wish they did because by now I would be on a low dose AD and my anxiety would be a thing of the past rather than something I struggle with on a daily basis.

I just want the old me back  :-\

Honeyb
X

Greenfields

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »

I take 10mg in the morning and that's it. I have occasionally taken another after lunch but have felt very washed out with little to no energy afterwards.
I have also tried one at bedtime but had disturbed sleep so that didn't work either  :P

Me and meds just don't get on at all.

I really wish they did because by now I would be on a low dose AD and my anxiety would be a thing of the past rather than something I struggle with on a daily basis.

I just want the old me back  :-\

Honeyb
X

Oh Honeybun I can so relate to what you say about wanting the old me back ... sending big hugs to you - it's been such a hard journey for me and I wouldn't wish it on anyone xxx

Thanks for the info about the beta blocker dose.  I am definitely going to talk to the Dr next week about taking something as I am really struggling at the moment and I'm so scared of bringing on another breakdown when I make a visit to Canada as well as planning a move back in the Fall (altho' I still haven't screwed up the courage to book flight tickets yet for a visit this month).  Having said that, this morning I consciously did 30 minutes of yoga practice in silence by myself and just tried to be with the anxiety and nausea and not push the sensations of them away - it was very challenging but I found that it seemed to help a bit with beginning to have the smallest bit of acceptance of them being there.  When I sat and meditated afterwards (also for 30 minutes in silence) my body was much stiller even though the sensations of nausea and anxiety were still there.

One thing that helped me with all this was reading this article recently which someone I know posted up on FB:

http://zenpeacemakers.org/zen-peacemakers/who-we-are/zen-peacemakers-sangha/dharma-talks/ed-knight-anxiety/

-I found myself thinking if someone that ill can make the journey to wellness with anxiety, then I should try too.  It's so hard though. 

Hugs xxx

bramble

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »

There are other medications out there that may help with anxiety. I would say to go to the doctor with an open mind. You may not suffer any side effects and they only usually last for 1-2 weeks. It would be worth it if it helps to ease you through the next few challenging months. Had the doctor never talked to you about medication when you were having your breakdown?

Good luck,
Bramble

Suzyq

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 03:26:12 AM »

Whilst I'm not against ad's (I tried prozac - not good for me!!!) I think you're pushing yourself to feel better too quickly - it will come - just not necessarily on your timetable. I had terrible anxiety and panic - absolutely awful but with cbt, hrt,exercise and constantly pushing myself (I also found hypnotherapy very good) - I got better. It sounds like you are on the right road but it will take time. Ad's don't necessarily fix the problem and you may end up with more problems to fix. Try to give yourself time and focus on the positives if you can. Try to find some joy in something you do every day and celebrate all of your achievements and i think it will all come good for you!!!!

Incidentally I have lorazepam for occasional use - haven't become addicted - haven't had one for 4 months and even though I'm prescribed 30 at a time, they always go out of date before I've used even 10 of them - I do use them only for emergencies but just knowing that I had them helped me enormously in the first very difficult few months that I had.

SueRoe

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time Greenfields. I've been taking the lowest dose of Citalopram (10mg) each morning for nearly 4 weeks. I have had no side-effects at all. They were prescribed as a starting dose to help with depression. I'm sleeping much better (8 hours last night with one visit to the loo) and my anxiety/mood have improved. The doc wants me to raise the dose to 20mg (what she called a therapeutic dose) soon but I'm happy on just 10mg as it's doing what I needed it to do. I hope you find a solution to your difficulties soon. In your shoes I would try the low dose. If you get any side-effects (you'd be unlucky to get anything much on 10mg) they would be in the first few days when you could just stop the tablets without having to taper them off I think (check with your GP). Why not get your exercise free? A walk outdoors in the sun (if we get any!) can be hugely positive and costs nothing. Good luck.

Greenfields

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »

There are other medications out there that may help with anxiety. I would say to go to the doctor with an open mind. You may not suffer any side effects and they only usually last for 1-2 weeks. It would be worth it if it helps to ease you through the next few challenging months. Had the doctor never talked to you about medication when you were having your breakdown?

Good luck,
Bramble

The first Dr I saw put me on sertraline and it made me very very ill - I had all the most severe side effects after 2 days - so I had to stop taking it. That Dr was horrible and I had very bad medical care from them.

The Dr I have now is lovely.  But when I talked to her about my experience with meds she said that given how sensitive I was to meds, she wanted me to try exercise first - so that's what I did. I saw her 7 weeks after starting my exercise regime and she was very pleased and said how well I was doing. I'm now doing even better but the problem I have is that I'm in a flat I can't afford in an assured shorthold tenancy which has to be renewed in September if I am going to stay there. I can't afford to renew it and the rent is going to go up as well. So I'd like to be well enough to move back to Canada by that date if I can. I've asked around about renting rooms in the area I'm in in case I'm not well enough as I would really like some breathing space - but no joy so far in anyone offering one. Ideally it would be nice to be able to move back before the end of the year without the pressure of having to move by September.

If I have to renew my tenancy in September it will decimate my savings even more and I will not be able to break the contract until March next year because it's an assured shorthold tenancy. if I do not get back to Canada this year, this will impact my separation agreement (which is up for review in Feb next year). I will be struck off my ex's health plan (which is a big deal in Canada as it pays for drugs and drugs are expensive) - and will probably receive no more spousal support either - not that I was getting a lot but it helped. 

Will see what the Dr says on Monday.
Pages: [1] 2 3