Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen dominance after the Mirena  (Read 11099 times)

GeordieGirl

Oestrogen dominance after the Mirena
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »

I've just come across this on a site:

"One of the problems that long-term use of mirena causes in the female body is hormonal imbalances: low progesterone and high estrogen — a condition coined “estrogen dominance.” Progesterone is the female sex hormone and plays an important role in a female's health. When a woman is on Mirena, the natural internal production of progesterone in the body eventually stops and shuts down completely, since the body was getting sustained release via synthetic progesterone from Mirena. If & after the Mirena is removed, the body would no longer be getting any synthetic progesterone from the mirena, nor would it be producing any progesterone on its own internally, and this causes serious havoc in a woman's body and a severe hormonal imbalance: now there is no progesterone, and too much estrogen. This is why women go through withdrawal symptoms and experience hell after removing mirena.

If we have had Mirena for a significant amount of time and then had it removed, we need to reverse that imbalance after mirena removal and bring our progesterone & estrogen levels back to normal. This can be approached through diet strategies and applying progesterone cream topically.
"

I'm pretty certain I fit into this camp, I used the Mirena for a few too many years.

This is like one big jigsaw, funny how the pieces all start to come together. Natural progesterone (Utrogestan) seems to be working for me but I wasn't aware of the above or I may have 'got there' sooner.. 

GG x

Annie0710

Re: Oestrogen dominance after the Mirena
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

Geordiegirl
How are you feeling ?

I don't fit into that picture with the coil but definitely sounds , from these topics we've discussed, that your detective work proved fruitful

I hope you continue to do well

Annie xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »

Geordiegirl - Where did you find this info? Has this been backed up with some controlled trials and scientific evidence? I could be completely misunderstanding the logic of this but most of us feel at our best when on oestrogen alone - so in other words, when we have less progesterone.
During our fertile years, progesterone will fluctuate each month and in post meno it tends to be oestrogen that brings the benefits - so I'm not convinced that 'oestrogen dominance' can truly be a problem!!!! .  There are some women who feel really good on Femoston because this HRT has a kinder progesterone - however, many find that most progesterones bring some nasty side effects.
There is a good deal of controversy about the benefits of progesterone cream  - it's been discussed many times on this site and has caused some heated exchanges.  :-X
I was unaware that women went through 'hell' after the Mirena is removed - I certainly didn't!! DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »

I was just about to post when I saw Dancinggirl's response. I agree with what she has said. I googled part of the quote and the information comes from an Amercian site and a woman who is selling a Mirena detox progamme!

It is a bit of a simplistic view (ie the article) and oestrogen dominance is a misleading term.  It is well known that natural progesterone (as in Utrogestan and similar) is much better for us than any of the synthetic progestogens, which is why lots of us use bio-identical progesterone.

Even while using the Mirena, small amounts of progesterone are still being produced by the body in the adrenal glands (and I think also in peripheral tissues) even after menopause, sufficient for its needs (although if it suppresses ovulation there will be no corpus luteum and therefore no natural progesterone in large amounts). The function of the Mirena is to prevent the endometrium building up from over-stimluation by oestrogen, so it is replacing the large amounts of progesterone that are needed only in this context. Small amounts are absorbed systemically and I don't know how this impacts on the function of progesterone in the rest of the body. This is why it is preferable to go onto natural progesterone as soon as you can. However I relaise that in peri-menopause this is sometimes the best solution for women with bleeding problems and possible contraceptive needs too, so it's sometimes a short-term compromise!

I am assuming that the same is true of the CCP which used large amounts of synthetic oestrogen and progestogens and therefore inhibits the body's own production of progesterone from the ovaries ( but prevents overstimulation of the womb due to the progestogens in the pill).

I really wouldn't worry about this nor your past use of the Mirena! You need the progesterone to oppose the oestorgen and protect your womb and it is great that you are now using Utrogestan, ie bio-identical progesterone and feel better for it. Some women go through hell when using the Mirena itself!

Hope you are feeling OK generally, all things considered?

Hurdity x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »

Geordiegirl - Where did you find this info? Has this been backed up with some controlled trials and scientific evidence? I could be completely misunderstanding the logic of this but most of us feel at our best when on oestrogen alone - so in other words, when we have less progesterone.
During our fertile years, progesterone will fluctuate each month and in post meno it tends to be oestrogen that brings the benefits - so I'm not convinced that 'oestrogen dominance' can truly be a problem!!!! .  There are some women who feel really good on Femoston because this HRT has a kinder progesterone - however, many find that most progesterones bring some nasty side effects.
There is a good deal of controversy about the benefits of progesterone cream  - it's been discussed many times on this site and has caused some heated exchanges.  :-X
I was unaware that women went through 'hell' after the Mirena is removed - I certainly didn't!! DG x

I started taking progesterone before oestrogen (basically because it's more freely avalable without a prescription) and I've seen some very significant benefits - my breast cysts have cleared up and my sleeping has improved. My pubes have also grown back so I'm waiting to see if it has any effect on my (which although very thick, has thinned in the preceding months).  I'm now taking oestrogen and progesterone (both bio identicals) and am having a few side effects from the oestrogen but it has improved a couple of other symptoms I had, eg the neck ache.

Do a lot of people have problems with natural progesterone too or just progestins?  Is that down to dose?

GG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »

All forms of progesterone can cause problems.  The synthetic progesterones can often cause PMT types symptoms plus headaches etc.  Utrogestan tends to have a sedative effect - so many of us sleep well with it but you can feel drowsy throughout the morning as well. The main function of progesterone, as Hurdity says, is to keep the womb lining thin but frankly I would love not to have to use any progesterone.
It is rare to get side effects on oestrogen alone - I do get headaches if I use too high a dose. If the combo you are using now is working and you don't feel sedated then that is great. DG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »

I've found Utrogestan (and the natural progesterone cream I used before it ) great.   I suspect I've struck lucky in getting the right dose as I've had no issues, just benefits  :)   I do take it around bed time precisely for the sedative effect. Without progesterone I'm awake for hours during the night and the insomnia is deblitating, with it I usually sleep right through (or until my bladder nags me). 

GG x