Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: The internet can be a life-saver!  (Read 5674 times)

The internet can be a life-saver!
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:55:42 AM »

If it wasn't for the internet, how would I otherwise have found all the problems/symptoms that you could have in peri? I've only really heard about hot flashes and your period changing, not about the anxiety, brain fog, indigestion, depression, fatigue, and so on.... I will call the gyno today and ask for help!

GeordieGirl

Re: The internet can be a life-saver!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:11:16 AM »

I agree - I've seen 4 GPs at my surgery and not one recognises the symptoms of menopause outside of hot flushes. Hm. In the end I basically told the doc what I wanted (Utrogestan and Estrogel), he checked with meno clinic then prescribed it. It took a lot of reading on here and a lot of other sources to get to that but without the Internet I'd have been clueless. I do admit to going mad on Amazon too though, my shelves are groaning with books on hormones, healthy living and other issues.

Knowledge is power and it gives us confidence. I recently challenged my consultant over a radical course of treatment he recommended. Subsequently I've now been referred to only one of 4 UK centres that offer an alternative that's far kinder and with great results. I'm sure a lot of his patients know nothing about this alternative, it certainly wouldn't have been discussed without a lot of prodding by me.

The disadvantage of the Internet is there is always a lot of misinformation out there, and it's all too easy to get side tracked. Finding the right sources is key, or reading contradictory reports so you can gauge something from different perspectives.

I hope the GP is accommodating, you've definitely helped your chances by being informed.

GGx

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:13:56 AM »

I knew next to nothing about menopause. Most of my learning has come from this website.

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »

If it wasn't for the internet, how would I otherwise have found all the problems/symptoms that you could have in peri? I've only really heard about hot flashes and your period changing, not about the anxiety, brain fog, indigestion, depression, fatigue, and so on.... I will call the gyno today and ask for help!

I've just written to a professor I used to study with stating those exact sentiments!  I think there is a real need for magazine articles to drop the euphemisms around menopause i.e. describing mental health symptoms as "mood swings" - and start being very explicit about the mental health symptoms that can arise in certain circumstances.  It could be done in a way that needn't scare women but would inform them - forewarned is forearmed.  If I had known I was susceptible to panic attacks, I would have not interpreted my experience of one the way that I did recently - and my life would be very different at the moment (I would be back in Canada for one!).

My Dr said to me that she sees a lot of women experiencing the symptoms that I've had in her practice - this shocks me given the lack of information out there in the public domain.

I've learnt so much from people on this board and from reading various books - but this was after the fact rather than before everything blew up - and it would have been so much better for me if I had known in advance what to potentially expect.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »

Totally agree.
The only sensible information I've had about the menopause has come from here.
Actually that's not quite true, there's 2 female Drs at our surgery who are pretty clued up. I know that one of those uses this site!

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »

It must be tough for male doctors to understand certain things. They don't have the "parts" so how can they for instance know how cramps feel, or what brain fog is like.

rebelyell

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »

I have also learnt everything from this site.  Have just posted the following on a thread about ADs:

I think GPs fall back on ADs too easily and it is not intended for most menopausal anxiety/depression.  I also think that in 20 years time the next generation of women will say 'My God, you put up with that lack of interest/knowledge about the menopause?? How did you manager?'.  I had really bad endometriosis that started in my teens but wasn't diagnosed until I was in late 20s.  It was 'new' then and many GPs had no idea what I was talking about when I told them.  I had to have a hysterectomy at age 40 as my bladder was stuck to my womb!!   My point is that nowadays it is a condition that is well known and researched.  Quite rightly as it had a massive effect on my life.    Let's hope our daughters have better treatment for meno.   There will be so many women over meno age soon that research will  have to catch up.

But perhaps women themselves are to blame?  I certainly feel a pressure not to admit my issues to others - it feels a bit old ladyish.  One step away from 'slacks' with elasticated waists, those shoes you see advertised in the back of the Daily Mail and those aids for getting in and out of the bath.  Although I have always wanted to be old enough to have a tartan shopping trolley!!

jedigirl

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 11:34:25 AM »

Although I have always wanted to be old enough to have a tartan shopping trolley!!
Rebelyell,
Although I 'm only 45 I have a shopping trolley!! Had it for 3 years, its black with huge cerise flowers on it. Got it from Lakeland and its a life saver.AS we only have one car its brilliant if i need to shop and hubby has the car. Why wait, embrace your inner old lady!!

rebelyell

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »

I think I will!!!  As a teacher I carry heavy bags of books and laptop around - am going to get a shopping trolley to make life easier!   And it will involve a trip to Lakeland - bliss!!

jedigirl

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »

I'm a special needs Teaching Assistant, it's so useful for school. Who needs an excuse to go to Lakeland!!
As per topic, I was a very scared person before I found this site, convinced I was losing my mind, dying of something terrible. To find ladies with similar problems is an immeasurable relief.  :-*

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »

Damn right, the internet can be a lifesaver.
I was 42 when I started hot flushes and diarrhoea.
I was on a forum for people who were withdrawing from prescription meds and sharing tapering and withdrawl tips.
It took me ages to taper, because I was still getting hot and sweats, plus diarrhoea, and it wasn't until a lady on that forum, suggested I look at menopause. She referred me to this site, and she also referred me to Elizabeth Vliet, John Studd, etc etc.

My GP was quite hostile about hrt, but I got tested and she felt my wet neck and was happy to prescribe femoston, but when they didn't work, she got really funny, so I after 3 or so more GPs later, some who refused to read the email from Dr Currie, I got another GP who did read the the email, and was happy to prescribe me patches and utro. After adjusting the patch dose upwards and finding my best way to administer utro (up the chuff) I am now happy, flush free, IBS 85% gone, bowel still not working properly, but working much better than before.

The other GP gave me meds for bowel which had horrible side effects, but why is no one talking about meno?
It should be out in the open.
For Chrissakes, we are not in 19th Century Britain anymore, we are in the 21st century.
Viva the internet.