Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: anxiety about continued spotting after smear test  (Read 13400 times)

oldsheep

anxiety about continued spotting after smear test
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »

I had a smear on tuesday morning. I had some brown discharge afterwards which I thought normal. It's continued (in quite small amounts) since then.
This morning there wasn't anything on the panty pad but when I wiped, quite a lot of brown blood (sorry if TMI). I rang the surgery and they spoke to the nurse who said this is quite normal. Being a holiday weekend, there are no appointments until wednesday.

It feels like a dull, slight period ache.

On Monday last week I spoke to the meno clinic nurse about my so-called high oestradiol flagged up by my GP. The nurse told me the doctor had got it wrong and 223 level was normal. I don't want to phone her again in case she marks me down as a serial fusser.

When does this stop being post smear injury discharge bleeding and start being irregular bleeding that I need to contact them about for a scan? I'm on HRT (continuous) and don't bleed. Utrogestan 100mg every night.
As usual, I'm now getting fussed as thought it would have stopped by now.  I also fuss about vagifem use while this is going on. I have used it once and am supposed to use it again tonight.

I have to go out and buy small tampons. I'd thrown mine away! It feels like a period now today, which it didn't on tues, wed and yesterday really. I wonder if the smear kicked off something. I'd recently had a nasty M.E flare up that I thought was hormone related.

thanks ladies.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:16:58 AM by oldsheep »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: anxiety about continued spotting after smear test
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

A smear won't kick off hormones.  Spotting is 'normal' after an internal investigation.  I can't remember if you are getting periods ? if so, the brown discharge followed by a bleed followed by ......... is probably 'normal' for you?  Especially as you describe cramping.

The Nurse didn't seem worried.  I don't think a scan would be instigated at this stage as you may have a 'period' which will cleanse the womb.  Hopefully once the result is returned you will be less worried.

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »

thanks CLKD x
I'm just nervy - it's the intermittent nature of it. Nothing, then quite a bit. And the period type pain.
No, haven't had a bleed for years now. I'm on continuous HRT with nightly Utrogestan 100mgs.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42:33 PM »

There are a lot of nerves tha knows 'down there' so any poking around may well irritate the area.  If you aren't comfortable by mid-next week have a chat with the Nurse again.

Nurofen might ease any back-ground cramping.

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »

touch wood, it's better, but - I now have swollen boobs and tum. Oestrogen?
When I was ill for 3 weeks recently, not sleeping, pain and M.E symptoms from long ago back again, I asked for oestrogen test in case it was low as it fitted.
It came back at 225 ish. GP said high, meno nurse said fine.

I'm on Evorel 75 - shouldn't be fluctuating like this. I'm even on evening primrose as my boobs hurt. And I'm fat(ter).  I'm wondering if the prolonged bleeding from the smear was due to everything being a bit oestrogenic?

Anyone else have obvious fluctuations while on the patch? I even started to think I'd got a dodgy batch of them.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »

Any hormones that you 'make' will be enhanced/aggravated by HRT.  Rest as much as you can.  Let you body do it's own thing ………. drink plenty of juice/water.

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »

Any hormones that you 'make' will be enhanced/aggravated by HRT.  Rest as much as you can.  Let you body do it's own thing ………. drink plenty of juice/water.

um, I drank rosé and a glass of cava in the garden before the rain came. I'll top up with water  :D
I do feel tired. No swimming today. Everything is more tiring.
Think I've gone up a bra size and my tum is bloated. I've been cutting out sugar and eating far less for a few weeks, so it does bother me when I end up larger!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »

;D - did the alcohol help  ???

Cutting out sugar doesn't alter any belatedness I suffer.  Drinking more water can ease symptoms.  Eating less won't help much as 1 requires calories to burn calories …….. feet up with something to hand later, i.e. a cuppa  ;)

belateness  :-\ - that should read 'breathlessness'  ::)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:33:35 PM by CLKD »

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »

I have often had bleeding after a pap smear especially since they started using the newer method. My gynae explained to me that its a little brush that the scrape the cells off with, he clearly used a bit too  much elbow grease cos I spotted and then had a full on bleed for a few days after that....I told him the following time and he used a smaller sized brush and was fine then no bleeding so am sure its from your cervix it does tend to bleed a lot, will clear up...he told me if it continued to use the utrogestan that would stop the bleeding.
And 225 is def not unusually high mine sits @ between 400 and 600, I started a discussion about levels just this past week, Hurdity was most helpful. I think you should relax.....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:40:27 PM by Cassie »

oldsheep

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 08:15:35 PM »

well the wine helped me relax a bit Cassie  ;)  only had 2 glasses mind, that's my limit.
I hadn't drunk anything for weeks so my head spun a bit!

Yes, I get fussed so easily. I'm pretty horrified by the sudden weight gain though. I'd got used to the 5kg weight gain with meno, but in the last month it's an extra 3kgs and I feel like a whale.

Suzi Q

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:08 AM »

touch wood, it's better, but - I now have swollen boobs and tum. Oestrogen?
When I was ill for 3 weeks recently, not sleeping, pain and M.E symptoms from long ago back again, I asked for oestrogen test in case it was low as it fitted.
It came back at 225 ish. GP said high, meno nurse said fine.

I'm on Evorel 75 - shouldn't be fluctuating like this. I'm even on evening primrose as my boobs hurt. And I'm fat(ter).  I'm wondering if the prolonged bleeding from the smear was due to everything being a bit oestrogenic?

Anyone else have obvious fluctuations while on the patch? I even started to think I'd got a dodgy batch of them.

CLKD Im sure is right I havent blead for over 20yrs but my last smear caused red blood Hed tried 3speculums before he used an almost childs one to use Im very samll always was@with AV! smaller
It could be that and hormones Id not be worried about bothering anyone thats what Doctors r there 4
You pay your taxes Im amazed how many Ladies now in todays workd seem to have forget they, their husbands/parents/children/bros/sisters/Aunts/Uncles.HAVE PAID IN TO THE NATIONAL HEALTH service
Thats why the TAX is called the National Healtrh Contribution sorry I get miffed heheheh
They are NOT doing you a favour or being charitable it is their job they are paid by the Government
Who use some of the TAXES paid for by YOU the people SO GO if it will put your mind at restxxxxx
This is where even paying a TOKEN FIVER TO SEE THE GP if u earn over a certain amount
People would change their tune then cos theyd be paying something out of their purse something
They could physically see

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »

>wave< SuziQ -  :thankyou:

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »

:foryou: :thankyou: Love Suzi Q xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »

Any improvement today with the discharge?

oldsheep

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »

yes there is, thanks. I hope it's now stopped!

I'm still hugely swollen though (boobs, tum). I know when this happens, I tend to look at anything it could be. The latest batch of Evorel 75s seems to have a different adhesive. It leaves far less of a black square when you pull it off, but my skin looks puckered and shiny - almost looks as though there's still a patch on my stomach.
I believe the oestrogen is in the adhesive, so I'm wondering if they've changed it and I'm taking a while to adapt to it? Just a thought.

I was on these patches when I was so unwell a few weeks ago and had an oestradiol reading of 225-odd. I certainly don't feel in any other way that my oestrogen is too high. Still a dried out old prune in so many ways  ::) :-\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:59:21 PM by oldsheep »
Pages: [1] 2