Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: does anyone take the mini pill for peri menopause?  (Read 30638 times)

libra62

does anyone take the mini pill for peri menopause?
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »

Hi ladies

I am considering going back on the mini pill to help reduce my heavy periods as i don't really want hrt as my main prob is irregular heavy periods and mood swings no hot flushes .
I'm 52 and I don't tolerate oestrogen well ad it gives me migraines
Would like to hear from anyone who takes mini pill and has it has good effects?

X

Suzi Q

Re: does anyone take the mini pill for peri menopause?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:21:33 AM »

For my pre menopause I was put on The Mini Pill Femulen I took it for 12 years
After about 2 years I also used Orthigynest then moved on to Ovestin
I went over at 37 and couldnt use HRT hope that helps
I stopped taking Ovestin and Femulen till over 10 years post meno Ovestin was failing (I have AV)
Was put on Vagifem  2010 the GP said I didnt need to use Femulen anymore Vagifem was enough
xxxx

libra62

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »

Hi suzyq

Thanks for your reply.its so hard trying to decide what is the best options it confuses me .
Was you suffering heavy periods before you took mini pill.
What is orthyginest?

X

libra62

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:49:48 AM »

I do believe that femulen has been discontinued now .
X

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »

No I had NO period at all I went over at 37 by 43 stopped dead no more
But my Gp thought I needed the small amount of hormones the mini pill offered
Way back in 1975 in UK I was put on the mini pill as I had heavy periods and couldnt take normal pill
It worked a treat and took them for 6 years till I came to Ozz. Then Ozz didnt have the mini pill
They were at that time about 20yrs behind the UK in some ways they still are but thats not a bad thing
No GP would give me them as they didnt exist here so Geoffrey took care of buisness
I also couldnt take HRT so for me the mini pill was a god send I didnt put on weight in fact I lost some
Orthogynest is a internal cream like Ovestin though I belive they do pressaries too now
I found the cream messy a bit smelly interfered a bit sex wise as hubbie was worried female hormones
Vagifems so easy tiny aplicator tiny pressarie and that it! Took me about 3 weeks to feel 100% than before BUT I was taking it for Vaginal Atrophy your takig it and mini pill for differing reason both r valid

PS there are lots of different mini pills like there are lots of Bcontrol pills

Briony

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »

Have you considered the Mirena? I think it's meant to be good for heavy periods and only contains (low dose) progesterone x

positivethoughts

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »

Hi libra62

I'm nearly 52 and was on the mini pill for many years, and as i've moved into the perimenopause I wanted to try something else as my mood, cramping and period-type symptoms were getting really bad. I was recommended the Mirena coil by several friends as it is only a low dose locally rather than systemically as a pill. I had the Mirena put in on 23rd April and apart from some slight spotting and headaches the first week I have felt great since. I hope this lasts for the next few years until I am out the other side of the menopause! The Mirena is supposed to be particularly good for women with heavy periods so it might be the right option for you.

Best wishes
positive thoughts

libra62

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »

Hi
I had a coil some years ago and had huge problems with it. Never again will I have a coil as its got lodged inside   me.
I've just recently started micronor ,so will see how things go.
I just hate all this meno crap and want to feel good again. Its one symptom after another isn't it?

Worst of all are the periods are a nightmare during peri never felt so bad in my life than now.
X

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »

I think the mirena coil is great for some and hell for others
Ive a few pals whove used it mostly for bleeding average is OK
But 2 had absolute hell both had it removed and said never again
Its just your choice in the end xxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »

Hi libra62 - the Mirena or mini-pill will help the heavy bleeding but for the mood swings you will also benefit from some added oestrogen at some point especially if/when flushes/sweats begin. Low dose transdermal (patch or gel) oestrogen in the form of estradiol - which is bioidentical (not like the high-dose synthetic oestrogens in the CCP) is the least likely to give any side effects like migraine and should even out mood sings. The progestogen in the mini pill is not high enough dose to protect the womb if you take oestrogen though.

Hurdity x

dogdoc

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:09:44 PM »

Hi Libra...I had VERY heavy, clotting and irregular bleeding over the last year ( maybe more...I don't remember lol). I have been experimenting with HRT since that time, and have found dramatic and remarkable improvement with progesterone ( prometrium here...utrogestan there i believe) taken intravaginally from day 12-14 for 101-12 days. Often in the perimenopausal period you have estrogen but you don't ovulate...makes for some REALLY heavy bleeding in a lot of women.

I have gone from 7-11 days of spotting, then heavy bleeding every 20 to 40 days to 5 days of medium to light bleeding, no more clots, every 28 days. I use 200mg ( If I wasn't on estrogen I think 100mg would work..but may need experimentation..higher doses to protect the endometrium if on estrogen i suspect is wise). It's a option instead of taking something oral ( which has more 'whole body' effects) and may also help with sleep etc. Mirena is another option ( and one I'm still considering myself but haven't worked up the nerve yet). I have heard mixed reviews from a lot of friends...most of whom are not perimenopausal.

I've come to the conclusion that a LOT of women only need progesterone in the early stages of perimenopause when estrogen is high ( sometimes higher than normal)...think sore breasts midcylce, weeping, jittery feeling etc. High estrogen.

Good luck
tara