Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Feeling Irritable On Higher Oestrogen?  (Read 4830 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Feeling Irritable On Higher Oestrogen?
« on: May 15, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »

Have been wearing 2 x 25mg patches since Wednesday. Have had two pretty decent night's sleep, but I am feeling a bit wired and quite ansty. It's been months since I've managed to feel irritable about anything.

Will this be caused by the extra oestrogen? I assumed that on higher oestrogen I would feel more chilled out and calm. Which is how I felt for the first two weeks of this cycle and only taking 25mg.

I only took 4 days of Utro this month then stopped on the advice of my consultant because I want to avoid a withdrawal bleed on holiday.

So today I am on day 21 of my cycle. Not sure if my own hormones will give me a period in a few days time, and this is old fashioned PMS due to higher oestrogen? I used to get very irritable with PMS back in the day but since peri started all that irritation has been replaced with low mood and anxiety.

honeybun

Re: Feeling Irritable On Higher Oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:24:23 AM »

Sorry to hear you are still not so good.

I think I did say on one of your other topics not to be surprised if you felt jittery when you effectively doubled your dose.
It may well settle in a few days but if not then you can assume it's just too much for you. Perhaps you would be better with a gel so you can more effectively tweak the amount you are using.

Too much oestrogen can be as bad as too little.
It not only made me feel jittery but sick too.....Not nice.

I know we all just want to feel back to normal but with the best will in the world we sometimes just have to accept that although we may feel better its never going to be as perfect as when our bodies did the job for us.

Honeyb
x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:07 AM »

Hi honeybun.

Yes I think you did warn me about feeling jittery at first.  I don't feel anxious as such , just on edge and that I need to keep doing stuff. Feel slightly wired, if you know what I mean.

I hate the fact this is all so hit and miss.

Did you stay on the higher dose or drop back down?

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:55:37 AM »

Oh I dropped back down. When I say jittery I meant sort of internally as if every thing was running at warp speed. It was horrible and did not settle for me although many women thrive on a higher amount.
I'm now on a half conti patch.

Honeyb
x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »

That sounds horrible.

I don't feel as bad as you describe. But I certainly don't feel anywhere near as chilled as I felt during the first two weeks of this cycle when I was only on half the oestrogen I am on now.

I felt great then. Quite dreamy and very affectionate and giggly. If I had ever had an 'E' (ahem) then it felt very similar.

I just assumed more oestrogen = more chilled?

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »

When I went up to 50mg patch I felt horrendous. After a few weeks I went back down to a 37.5mg one, so much better.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »

How did it make you feel cubagirl?

pepperminty

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »

Hi , I was on higher oestrogen last year and I had nausea the first month , that was manageable, and eventually went , but it did give me more energy and it did settle down. It was just the progesterone in that type that effected me badly. Maybe give the higher dose time to adjust as it is very early days. It may balance out with the progesterone. Your hormones may be raging in the background.
Oh the unpredictability is so fun.  ::)

peppermintyxx :)

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »

Have been wearing 2 x 25mg patches since Wednesday. Have had two pretty decent night's sleep, but I am feeling a bit wired and quite ansty. It's been months since I've managed to feel irritable about anything.

Will this be caused by the extra oestrogen? I assumed that on higher oestrogen I would feel more chilled out and calm. Which is how I felt for the first two weeks of this cycle and only taking 25mg.

I only took 4 days of Utro this month then stopped on the advice of my consultant because I want to avoid a withdrawal bleed on holiday.

So today I am on day 21 of my cycle. Not sure if my own hormones will give me a period in a few days time, and this is old fashioned PMS due to higher oestrogen? I used to get very irritable with PMS back in the day but since peri started all that irritation has been replaced with low mood and anxiety.

Hi GypsyRoseLee

Just to clarify that pms is not caused by high oestrogen!!

"Old fashioned pms" is due to a combination of hormonal changes which some women are more sensitive to than others. It is defined as any adverse effects/symptoms that occur during the second half of the menstrual cycle and which often worsen in the few days before a period.

In the second half of the menstrual cycle - oestrogen first drops sharply after ovulation, and then rises again a little and then drops away to a much lower level as the bleed approaches - it then starts to rise again and the positive effects are usually felt fairly soon eg Day 4 or 5 or even sooner - which varies with different women.

Also during the second half of the menstrual cycle following ovulation, the developing egg follicle produces progesterone which rises rapidly over the next few days until it reaches a peak, and if the egg is not fertilised the follicle (in the ovary) shrinks and progesterone production declines until it returns to the previous low level until the next month.

Women react to these changes in several ways -

1   Intolerance to the progesterone itself - these women will experience unpleasant symptoms (fatigue, depression, headaches etc) during the whole of the second half of the cycle (more than just a little bit of bloating/breast tenderness etc - which most women experience)
2   Reaction to the reduction in oestrogen - leading to anxiety, low mood, sometimes depression etc
3   Temporary effects from the sudden drop in progesterone - this is what I call classic pmt ie the headaches, tension, irritability etc -although this is partly due to reduction in oestrogen as well. This doesn;t mean the body needs oestrogen in order to prevent these symptoms - it is just a reversal of the physiological changes in the body produced by the progesterone. Once the progesterone has cleared and oestrogen starts to rise again - during the normal menstrual cycle, most women feel at their best - oestrogen is rising to a peak, and progesterone is low (as it is during post-menopause).

During peri-menopause as you know the hormones are doing their own thing and departing from this classic pattern (There's that article "Perils of the Perimenopause" which I often link to!). Taking HRT is attempting somehow to even out the dips and eventually to replace some (but not all) of the missing oestrogen. It is only a crude attempt really to replace two hormones when actually there are a whole host of others which we know very little about. In addition adding them exogenously (ie from outside our body) has a very different effect from the effects of endogenous production (ie within our bodies from our own organs) - as the body then has to deal with a new source, oral HRT going through the liver, excretion of excess etc etc.

Trying to second guess what the body is going to do during this somewhat unpredictable journey is difficult so there are bound to be days and weeks where you don't feel yourself - but this is the nature of peri-menopause and hormones! The important thing is that when taking HRT you feel better than you did before for most of the time. It is not good to over-analyse how you feel at each point because you won't be able to explain it completely - ie exactly what is happening to you, and you will only end up worryin too much!

Until you have gone through menopause and your hormones become stable - you will continue to feel like this some of the time.

Long answer to your Q!!! Short answer - could be your own hormones coming into play, or it could be a bit of pms from the withdrawal of the progesterone - although I would also expect you still to be producing your own progesterone at this point in the cycle if you are still ovulating. It shouldn't be too much oestrogen at this point because if your cycle is fairly normal then your own oestrogen will now be reducing and what you have added should restore some of this.....

The standard oestrogen transdermal dose for post-menopause is a 50 mcg patch which is sufficient to alleviate flushes and sweats in many women without adverse side effects.  Some women need to have higher levels than this in order to feel well. As always the body has to adjust to increases in oestrogen (as well as progesterone).

Oh dear I got carried away again - hope some of this makes sense!!!

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »

I so wish there was a 'like' button Hurdity

You explain things so well

Annie

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »

I know it's ridiculously early days pepperminty. I get so annoyed at myself for being so impatient and wanting everything to happen right now. I think because I struggled for nearly 18 months without any help I turned HRT into some sort of medicinal Holy Grail. I would start taking it and within days I would be 100% back to normal  ::)

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, especially as I know you're pretty much in the same boat and desperately trying to bail out the water too. I went out for that meal with my husband and I actually feel a little bit better now. My mood hasn't lifted but I am more accepting of feeling low now and not panicking about it so much.

I have to trust that my consultant is very experienced and trust her opinion that 50mg is a more effective dose for me. And I have to be patient.

Thank you again xxx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »

Hurdity I honestly can't thank you enough xxx

You have explained that so clearly and you have answered a question which has bugged me for months. Since my peri symptoms started I noticed that suddenly my PMS wasn't lifting until about day 5 of my cycle. I would then feel increasingly good until ovulation, then my mood would really dip for a day or so, then would improve on about day 20 for a couple of days, and then would seriously dip again just before my bleed started and wouldn't lift until day 5. And so on and on and on..........

I always thought you ovulated, then your oestrogen slowly and gradually faded away. I didn't realise it could peak again slightly after ovulation. But what you have described fits in exactly with what my cycle suddenly became like with becoming peri menopausal. I must be one of those unfortunate women who are very sensitive to any hormonal changes, no matter how slight  :(

But I can't thank you enough for writing such a thoughtful and detailed response. I think ideally I would like to just come and sit in your kitchen all day and learn from you. Is that okay  ;)

Also I have accepted that it's very short sighted of me to assess how HRT is working when I started mid-cycle, on a (most probably) too low a dose. Then I am not even allowing myself a proper cycle this month as I only took 4 days of Utro'.

It's going to be one of the hardest things I have done, but I agree I need to just accept that my mood is going to be up and down for now. Hopefully the HRT will stop the lows being so very low. My GP assured me it would, and he hasn't ever 'told me wrong' yet. I also need to trust my consultant's experience. Even though she didn't give me much room to talk she was very clear that 25mg was too low for me. I have to trust that she has seen hundreds of women just like me and knows what will help.

Really I need to come back off holiday and start the Utro and then allow myself at least 3 full cycles of HRT, on the higher dose patch and without 'tinkering' with the Utro, before I can get a proper picture of how I am doing.

If I'm still here by the end of the summer, still experiencing these extreme lows then I will need to re-think.