Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New - life has been turned upside down, am I perimenopausal  (Read 6999 times)

Juanita

Found this site and am hoping that I can get some support advice and figure out what is happening to me. I have had migraines that started in Easter, had one for 48hrs which ended in the ED . Have had about 2 a week since then which has lost me my job , turned my life upside down . Very confused about the reason for starting these as never have suffered before, but I have added up all the other symptoms such as night sweats , moustache , feelings of dread and anxiety, brain fog on some days and come to the conclusion that I am perimenopausal ,but my GP is reluctant to put me on HRT because I am on a pill where I don't have periods. So can't tell if they have stopped I am 48 so am not in the "average" age bracket appantly.
I am so fed up with feeling like I can't think straight and worrying that I am going to have migraines for the next few years , I can't even drive more than an HR away from home in case I feel unwell and can't get myself home . Any advice gratefully received
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:53:13 PM by Juanita »

Dancinggirl

Re: New - life has been turned upside down, am I perimenopausal
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »

Hi and welcome Juanita
Sounds like peri menopause to me.  Read up all the info on this site and get back us with questions.  What pills are you on - is it Micronor?
48 is certainly not too young to start the menopause symptoms.  Symptoms often start years before the periods stop. I got terrible headaches through the peri meno stage - this is caused by fluctuating hormones. DG x

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »

So sorry you are going through such a tough time.  There is loads of helpful info on this site and lots of knowledgeable people - don't despair.  Peri isn't great, but there is a lot you can do to make it more bearable. 

Taz2

Re: New - life has been turned upside down
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »

Hi Juanita - welcome to the forum.

May I ask what investigations you have had so far regarding your migraines. It sounds as if they have really thrown your life into turmoil and although peri can be blamed for lots of different health problems new symptoms such as these headaches really need to be properly looked at.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Juanita

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »

Hi thanks for the replies  :)
I have been reading loads of the posts here , so glad to know that I am not alone. And not going mad !

Taz, I have had CT scan and bloods all normal.  Been on migraine preventatives but the side effects were awful and didn't take away the night sweats etc. so am just on triptans to control them when they happen. But of course I don't know what my triggers are because it varies when it comes on.
Dorothy thanks for the welcome and advice

Dancing girl I am on cerazette been on it for over 12 years and don't want to come off it just to test if I am actually menopausal, the lack of oestrogen is what I have been finding out causes the migraines , i don't feel like I am in control of my body anymore ! Thanks for reply

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »

Juanita - I assume you are on Cerazette for contraceptive reasons? You could have a Mirena fitted and then just add some Oestrogen in gel or patch form - that way you still have contraceptive protection but can add some oestrogen to help with the fluctuations of your hormones.  Dg x

Juanita

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 06:45:04 PM »

Thanks prajna , sorry to hear you suffer as well, it's really difficult to pinpoint triggers ad it doesn't come on in a pattern. I already cut out caffeine for palpitations !

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »

Hi Juanita

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others and also with Dancinggirl re contraception. If you can tolerate cezarette then you should be able to tolerate the small amount of absorption of progestogen from the Mirena coil. Some women only start to develop migraines around the peri-menopause ( I was one of them) and progestogens can actually make them worse - especially in tablet form. You should be able to start oestrogen gradually eg a small amount of gel or a patch (not tablet oestrogen as this can make headaches worse) as Dancinggirl suggests and hopefully you will feel better!

Glad the headaches have been investigated and all is clear!

Hurdity x

Juanita

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »

Hi hurdity thanks for the advice it seems like HRT will be a suck it and see process until I get it right x

katykins

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »

Hi Juanita,

I just joined the forum yesterday and came across your post. I too have been suffering horrendous migraines, for 8 years now. They grew in frequency to one every 10 days or so - never corresponded to any particular part of my cycle so never thought them to be hormonal, just random, although about 10-12 days apart. But now after so many years and more symptoms, night sweats, depression, inability to cope with daily life and the simplest task I think it might be.
I'm 44, started night sweats about 5 years ago. The migraines are so debilitating I want to die when I'm experiencing them. I can't commit to do anything for fear of having one. I literally have to get on and do anything just after I've come out of one as I know I've about 10 days clear. I've been on antidepressants for about 10 years now, just changed to sertraline 100mg. Have obviously suffered from depression from my teenage years, had a few breakdowns.
Have had brain scans and bloods like you and nothing shown up. My GP took bloods in Nov and found me to be in menopause so prescribed Duet Elleste 2mg. After initially feeling horrible on it, I then felt loads better and the fabulous thing was no migraines for about 4 months, I just had a minor headache every 10 days instead which was a breath of fresh air! After 4 months, developed pain on my left side from breast to pelvis reminiscent of my endo pain I had 12 years ago which resulted in surgery to laser stage 4 endo. So seems the added oestrogen has helped the migraines but brought back the endo. Blimey, you just can't win in this game! So I was changed to utrogestan 100mg continually and Sandrena estradiol gel 2mg. That didn't help anything, just made me feel exhausted and even more ghastly. Cut down to 1mg Sandrena, no help AND the most massive migraine last weekend for 60 hours. Went back to Dr Annie Evans yesterday who's now changed me from natural stuff to a "designer" drug called tibolone 2.5mg, bit scared to take it as read some nasty posts about it. Might wait a few days to see how I am naturally and then start it. Sorry to go on, just found your post interesting about migraines. I was prescribed triptans but never took them because I don't believe the GP believed me when I said how often I had them and I was and am still keen to find out the cause not simply to deal with the symptoms. Good luck. Katy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »

:welcomemm:

Briony

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:22 AM »

Hi and welcome. Speaking as a 43 year old who has had three years of hell, I can tell you for sure you're not too young at 48 to be peri menopausal.
The  best thing I ever did was swap to a more knowledgeable GP, and I'd advise you to do likewise.
I am on a new pill, Qlaira,  which is bio identical in its estrogen and only has two no pill days. This has massively reduced my hormonal migraines as there's no 'dip'. Possibly something you might want to investigate ? Hope you get some relief soon xX
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:23:29 AM by Briony »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »

When peri-menopause began I never considered I was 'too' early ……. (now I have to work out how old I was  ::):whist:

OK done my sums - I was 45 when my periods became scanty ………