Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: UPDATE:- Strength of cream compared to pessaries question  (Read 4284 times)

Ljp

UPDATE:- Strength of cream compared to pessaries question
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »

Hi all,
I'm currently using estriol 0.01% cream to try to sort out my overactive bladder and soreness/burning problems. I went to se Dr last Friday as it was the end of my two week loading and needed more cream.
She mentioned that estriol is also available as pessaries I think it was 10 micrograms, is this the same strength as 0.01% cream ( maths is not my strength, and Dr was unsure too) my reason for asking us I am now about to drop down to twice weekly applIcation, and I'm going on holiday in two weeks time, just wondering if the pessaries version would be a little less messy during day ( if you get my meaning 😁) especially while wearing a bikini and swimming etc…as I was unsure if there were any benefits between the two, I decided to stick with the cream, but if pessaries are less messy during the day, I might contact Dr and see if I can have some for my holiday 😊
Thank you x
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:19:34 PM by Lisajp »

ancient runner

Re: Strength of cream compared to pessaries question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »

These drug firms are rubbish at patient info - I remember cursing as I tried to work out relative strengths!
However, logically, they'll package up the active ingredient as they want you to take it. So it ought to be 2 pessaries a week are equivalent to 2x squirts of the cream.
Some ladies were very fed up that one type of pessary had been taken off the market - Ortho Gynest? Don't know what happened about that. There were some real fans of it. Assume yours is the other sort?
Personally I'd ask for a pessary form as well and try it out. You might prefer it, you might not. But since it's now part of your life good to see which way works best for you.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:25:39 AM »

Hi Lisajp

Unfortunately the estriol pessaries were discontinued some time ago - these were really the best way to use estriol as they are definitely less messy ( I still have a few left), otherwise the only pessary in Vagifem which is estradiol.

Irrespective of the strengths of and different oestrogens in all the creams and pessaries a single dose of any of them is designed to be equivalent and have the same effect on the vaginal tissues and bladder.

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

I'm sure when my Dr looked on her screen it said estriol 10micrgram pessaries. Not branded just generic, but definitely estriol! Going to put in a prescription request and see what I get!

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »

UPDATE put my prescription request in, and got Vagufem 10mcg pessaries, say one twice weekly, question I have been using estriol cream every night up fro three weeks loading up until last Wednesday, not just dropped to twice weekly. Am I ok to just start using vagifem twice weekly? Will the different hormone be more effective on bladder?… just a tad worried re estradiol instead of estriol? Should I be?

Suzi Q

Re: UPDATE:- Strength of cream compared to pessaries question
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 06:34:42 AM »

Yes in fact you could double check and see if you should use the Vagifem the way its prescribed
1 a day for 2 weeks then find the amount that suits u 2 a week or 3 or even 4
Remember up till 2 years ago ALL VAGIFEM was 25mg not 10mg so loads of women world wide
Use up to 5 a week to keep the same amount going IM lucky in Ozz so far!!! We still only have 25mg