Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxious about smear test :-/  (Read 6079 times)

Spadger

Anxious about smear test :-/
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm going for a cervical smear test this afternoon and I am ridiculously anxious...
I've always struggled to make myself go although I realise how important it is, but the last couple have been uncomfortable and I'm just dreading this one as since my periods stopped I have quite a problem with dryness.
Not on HRT or any prescribed "lube" just use products from Holland & Barrett when it gets unbearable.  Find it too embarrassing to go to the docs about :-\
Any encouragement will be gratefully received!
Love to all, Spadger x

Greyhoundgal

Re: Anxious about smear test :-/
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »

I would certainly tell the nurse who is going to perform the smear test of your anxieties - hopefully she will be gentle with you.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:10:46 PM »

Hi why not mention to the nurse doing the smear your problems with dryness and the discomfort from last smears and ask for a local estrogen such as vagifem to use ,dont be shy of asking think this is a postive step you are taking to stop VA occurring which can lead to more complicated issues they you dont need to suffer in the long run. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Spadger

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »

Thank you both for your advice, I will tell the nurse how i feel and hopefully all will be ok

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »

Hello Spadger.

At my last smear I told the nurse that I was worried about the procedure even although in the past I'd been fine and she was very understanding. There was a bit of a problem initially so she used a smaller speculem (sp?) and that was easier, so maybe that is something you can suggest. 

Hope it all goes well and take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »

Oh do tell, Nurses are dealing with vaginas all the while  ;) …….. and if you don't ask, you don't get the treatment which will ease symptoms.  Hopefully she won't do the smear today but will send you off with some 'treatment' for 3 months in order to ease 'down below' - let us know how you get on!

Spadger

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:37:28 PM »

Thank you ladies for the advice and support - appointment is 5pm - wish I could have got one earlier in the day, hey ho...

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »

Oh how many times have you been for a wee  ;D  ;)

Spadger

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »

Several times clkd  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »

So would I have been - knowing that I have to (fill in the rest  ;) ) over-works my bladder  ;D

Spadger

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »

It was every bit as bad as I was expecting but at least it is over - I am now in the pub having a well deserved glass of wine with my lovely understanding hubby ;-) just the wait now for the result...

Claireylou

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »

Glad it's over for you Spadger. Enjoy that we'll deserved glass of wine  :medal:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »

What communication did you have with the Nurse prior to the exam.?  I dread mine more each time  :-\ …….. did you talk about your symptoms and did you get a response?

>hands over glass <  :drunk:

Spadger

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »

Clkd I did say how I felt and explained my anxieties and the nurse was fine with me, very patient and explained as we went - she said she "hums" through hers and says 'whatever gets you through' - I said a glass of Pinot Grigio would help - hence my visit to the pub. I mentioned HRT and my reluctance to take it - she seemed to agree with my reasoning and said that different people have different ways of coping and everyone's experience is different. Don't know anything about vagifem so didn't ask - is that HRT?

dazned

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »

Its a local estrogen cream which would help you with dryness and help prevent any vaginal atrophy such as prolapses. As it is only applied vaginally you dont absorb estrogen into blood stream It would be well worth looking into I think.
Pages: [1] 2