Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: So nice to find this site!!  (Read 3449 times)

jillery54

So nice to find this site!!
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:03 PM »

Hello All ~ I'm 60 and post meno for about 6 years now. Peri meno was horrible and I felt like I was losing my mind for those 10 years. Thankfully the anxiety finally stopped when the periods stopped, or maybe it was really getting the divorce that helped the anxiety ;) Most physical symptoms have subsided to the point of being tolerable, although hot flashes are still a problem, especially when the weather is hot. I had a breast biopsy 15 years ago and my surgeon recommended no HRT so I've tried a number of herbs with varying degrees of success. My latest surprise has been an intolerance to alcohol, especially wine. It would be nice to be able to enjoy it once in awhile but even 3 sips can make me feel nauseous and drunk. I can never tell when it's going to happen because there are times that a few drinks won't bother me. In an effort to keep my blood sugar stable (I'm not diabetic but there is diabetes in my birth family) I eat a low carb diet heavy in nuts, veggies, salads & protein. When I cheat and eat too much carb/sugar I pay for it by feeling tired and lethargic, and a carb/sugar load can bring on heart palpitations. I also started an aqua aerobics class last July and that's really helped me feel good. I'm finally a believer in the benefits of exercise, although I went kicking & screaming for many years ;D

Anyway, I'm very happy to connect with so many women and read about your own unique experiences. Sharing is power, ladies!!!

honeybun

Re: So nice to find this site!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse around and join in. Nice to have you with us.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »

Hi jillery54 and  :welcomemm:, I also have a very strong family history of diabetes going back to my great grandparents who were 1st cousins.

I, too, get a similar effect to the one you have described if I consume any quantity of sugar.  I also get hypo like effects if I don't eat on time or miss a meal.  I get my blood glucose checked every year and, so far, it is a perfect level but I know what to watch out for.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum

I was only discussing alcohol to my friend last week

I went through a phase last year where I couldn't drink, even sips went straight to my head, and I was feeling very nauseous most days

I drank when we went away at Easter and was fine

Annie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »

:welcomemm:

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »

Alcohol & my head don't mix well these days. Fine with long drinks like Martini & Lemonade, but ooh wine gives me headaches nowadays.

Exercise is the way to go for sure. I swim weekdays. Aquarobics is a bit hit & miss, there isn't a decent instructor at my gym. Used to be years ago, when they brought in external instructors.

Keep browsing.

jillery54

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »

Thank you for all of the Welcomes! It's nice to know there's a possibility that the alcohol intolerance will eventually go away :)

jillery54

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »

BabyJane ~ My half sister has full blown diabetes and I'll do whatever I can to avoid that. I have a glucose monitor and I check it regularly. So far so good, I know the exercise helps a lot. I get the same hypo symptoms you get if I abuse sugar. I seldom have the crashes anymore because for the most part I'm pretty careful. Best to you in keeping your sugar under control!

Hi jillery54 and  :welcomemm:, I also have a very strong family history of diabetes going back to my great grandparents who were 1st cousins.

I, too, get a similar effect to the one you have described if I consume any quantity of sugar.  I also get hypo like effects if I don't eat on time or miss a meal.  I get my blood glucose checked every year and, so far, it is a perfect level but I know what to watch out for.

jillery54

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:09:21 PM »

Annie0710 ~ It's nice to know the alcohol issue might not last forever. From what I've read it seems that alcohol intolerance post meno is actually quite common. I guess we just don't metabolize it that well, which must be the change in hormones. Jeez, what's next??  :o

Welcome to the forum

I was only discussing alcohol to my friend last week

I went through a phase last year where I couldn't drink, even sips went straight to my head, and I was feeling very nauseous most days

I drank when we went away at Easter and was fine

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

Quite an embarrassing situation last year where I was at a friends BBQ. I took my Bacardi and coke and only had the tiniest amount of Bacardi (light headedness was terrible before drinking)
A few hours later and I was almost carried home, yet my Bacardi was barely touched, they still all laugh about it now but I wouldn't touch alcohol for months after.,then New Year's Eve I decided to try vodka lemonade and dash of lime but didn't want anymore after a couple . I resigned myself to the fact maybe I just can't drink anymore yet Easter I was fine, drank Bacardi, got merry and stood the pace along with everyone else

Annie