Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Combined HRT and 'periods'  (Read 2704 times)

fiorinda

Combined HRT and 'periods'
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »

Just reading some stuff about continuing to use contraception for 2 years after your last period if you're under 50, 1 year if over, and I have a question I can't find the answer to

If you are taking a combined form of HRT (as I am) which produces a bleed every month, how the hell do you know when your 'last period' is or was?!

I've been on these tablets (happily, they're wonderful!) for 20 months now. I probably hadn't had a period for about 3 months before I started them, but had had a couple of 3 month gaps between periods over the 2 years before that. I reckon I started heading into the menopause for real about 6 years ago. How am I supposed to know when my periods stopped altogether (or will stop altogether)? I'm 50 now.

Grumpymum

Re: Combined HRT and 'periods'
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

Such a good question. I have wondered the same myself. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along with the answer soon.

Dancinggirl

Re: Combined HRT and 'periods'
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »

I'm afraid I don't think there is a good answer to this one. If you were still having the occasional period before you started HRT then you may well have still been ovulating. I think it is sensible to assume that pregnancy is a possibility until you are at least 53-54, however, unless you come off HRT and wait a few weeks and have a blood test to look at oestrogen levels I doubt you can really know.
I had a premature meno and started HRT in my 30s. My hubby used condoms but when I took a break from HRT at 49 I knew I would be post meno by then - I think I was post meno from the age of 43-44 as I developed more symptoms and had to increase my HRT dose.
Hopefully someone will be along to give more definite advice.  DG x