Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: thoughts about HRT and breast cancer  (Read 9216 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: thoughts about HRT and breast cancer
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

Relentless is a good expression.  Have you talked to your family about how you are feeling; that this is hormonal; how they are able to help ……..

With careful checking of family history and making sure that the GPs know which Research to 'quote', we can make informed decisions.  Quality of Life!

TropicalVon69

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »

Have to say I agree with you gypsyrose, not to undermine anyone else's opinions or experiences, this last year has been the most hellish time for myself and my children for the same reasons as you pretty much Gypsy rose, and the thought of enduring another year of the same would be too much to bear....not in a dramatic way, but brutally honest....each to their own, but for me, and for the sake of my family, whatever helps I will take xx/

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »

Like you say everyone is different Tropical and everyone has different tolerances.

But, like you I simply couldn't bear to think I might have to face another year like the one I have just endured. I have so many desperately unhappy memories of this last year.

Sitting crying in the loo due to random anxiety, at my friend's Xmas party was one  :(

Having to fake a migraine in order to cut short my daughter's birthday meal, because I was crippled with random anxiety again is another  :(

Waking my husband up at 3am telling him I felt so terrified and anxious that I wanted to find every pill in the house and swallow them all just to make it stop is another  :(

There's dozens more, but it's too upsetting to list them all. I wasn't living, I was just existing. And it was a horrible existence much of the time.

tiger74

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »

Just to say (as someone who has been through the 'full-house' of treatments for breast cancer and is facing more surgery) that you have made some very valid points babyjane.

Furthermore, whilst not wishing to belittle anyone's feelings, a breast cancer scare is doubtless awful, but, VERY different from receiving a diagnosis, going through treatment, the ongoing 'scare' of never knowing when/if it will return.....

Yes, CLKD, no-one has to accept chemo - we all make choices in life.  I chose to go ahead with chemo etc., otherwise I'd have died.

This isn't a competition - is living with menopausal symptoms worse than going through breast cancer treatment???? but just to say that the majority of breast cancers are oestrogen positive so many ladies with a breast cancer diagnosis experience both (because HRT is subsequently contraindicated).

I realise this is a menopause forum and many of you are on HRT and are strong advocates for it so my experiences and opinions don't really matter.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:58:55 PM by tiger74 »

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »

Oh YES they (your opinions) *do* matter! Sharing experiences is what gives people pause for thought.  They can mull over and choose what is appropriate. 

I decided early on that I wouldn't have chemo, fortunately I didn't require it. The Tamoxifen however almost killed me  :'( [long story short].

It would be helpful as we discuss over and over, if GPs would be sympathetic in the first instance and not dismissive; and not throw the 'cancer' card at us immediately!  Having battled with symptoms, having battled to get the appt. 1 doesn't need another battle  :sigh:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:18:40 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »

I take HRT because I want to LIVE while I am alive. Before HRT, I was watching life pass me by.I want to have the energy to walk, to look after my grandchild, to say goodbye to my son at the airport rather than at home (  :'( me later today! D ). I want to be able to travel to see my son, his wife and their baby when it is born. Things that were becoming increasingly more difficult before HRT. I have seen the effects of cancer on someone close to me. I know the risks, but they are 'what ifs'. My choice.

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »

I am so glad you have all taken the time to post your replies, thank you all.  :thankyou:

Gypsy and Tropical I sincerely hope that you are feeling better and now have the quality of life that you were missing before.  :foryou:

Tiger, thank you for your words, your opinions and experience do, indeed, matter, just like everyone elses do and I wish you a full recovery at the end of your treatment (hug)

I am fortunate that I do not have children at home, my choices could have been different if I had or I had been going out to work, but I am able to take life at my own pace and I am fortunate to be able to do that.  HRT is not for me.

Thank you for allowing me to explore my original question though because I was wondering if pursuing quality of life had inadvertently led to my cousin's current illness.  We will never know and, thankfully it was caught quickly - grade 1 stage 1.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 07:19:52 PM »

HRT at an 'early' age is replacing oestrogen that our bodies should be making  ;) ……. what does your cousin feel about it?
Pages: 1 [2]