Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Anal fissures  (Read 34763 times)

Annie0710

Anal fissures
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »

Are anal fissures a meno symptom?
It never occurred to me before but kind of stands to reason if I'm tearing vaginally each time I have intercourse, despite the vagifem and lubricant

It doesn't matter what my bowel situation is, regular/irregular, hard/soft, I'm tearing

I had these years ago after having my first baby and had to have the sphincter muscle cut

This has been happening a few months now non stop and I didn't even think to question whether it was menopause related.  I took ex lax a few days ago but I'm still splitting :-(

Annie

Limpy

Re: Anal fissures
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »

Annie that doesn't sound good.
It does seem to stand to reason though.
Things in that general area do seem to get dryer and more prone to damage.
Perhaps if you could rub Vitamin E oil or cream there that may promote healing, don't know....
Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:18:35 PM »

Thanks Limpy

I definitely don't strain either, because of my sphincterotomy and prolapses

I'm just constantly torn down there :-(. I know it's probably a mm or less but it hurts like a paper cut
I'll get some anusol and if that doesn't help, I'll mention it to gp

Annie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »

Anusol or a good hand cream, Savlon - regularly.  Trouble is, when my areas get less painful, I forget  ::)

If you can stretch the area before applying so that as far up the affected skin is softened, that will help healing from inside out.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:04:59 PM »

Thanks CLKD

I've got savlon so will have a go

Annie

Linsey44

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »

Hi sorry you are so uncomfortable, i have used presto gel it gives relief and helps repair fissure.

Maybe worth a go.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »

Hi sorry you are so uncomfortable, i have used presto gel it gives relief and helps repair fissure.

Maybe worth a go.

Thankyou, is that prescription or OTC ?

Annie

Linsey44

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »

I bought online, you could google it.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »

I think that you would get more relief from a pain relieving gel. It may only be available on prescription though. Info about fissures here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anal-fissure/Pages/Introduction.aspx  I've found no link on the internet to menopause and they do seem to affect younger people - under 30 - more often. Have you had it checked out by your GP just to rule out anything else?

Taz x  :hug:

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »

No, I haven't told doc, mainly because I've never been regular, it's not a daily occurrence, more maybe 2/3 weekly

I only really thought about it tonight as I think it was Wednesday or Thursday I took double dose ex lax after splitting then because I only went a little bit, despite the tummy ache urge, what I passed was measly considering the feeling to go, and I split, so it's taken that many days to kick in and work, yet I still split ?

I only pass tiny about of blood consistent with the splitting, so not worried about that, it's just the discomfort (pain) during passing then the discomfort whilst healing then it all starts again

I couldn't find anything menopause related either

I get why I suffered in my 20s, my sphincter suffered during my first birth but once I'd had it cut I didn't have problems again

I'll phone them next week

Thank you :-)

Annie

Jenna

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »

Hi Annie,

Fybogel makes bowel movements easier at such times and Germoloid suppositories soothe and heal the area I find.

I think it is to do with thinner tissues (the same as VA) as we age. :(

Really hope you can feel better.

Jenna x

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

Hi Annie,

Fybogel makes bowel movements easier at such times and Germoloid suppositories soothe and heal the area I find.

I think it is to do with thinner tissues (the same as VA) as we age. :(

Really hope you can feel better.

Jenna x

Hi Jenna

That was my thought, about the thinning, but couldn't find anything on the net about it

Prior to this phase of constipation, I'd suffered the opposite, and it stung when passing motions and it started about the same time as VA

Annie

Winterose

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »

I suffer every few months, I find that suppositories with hydrocortisone in them do the trick, also use hemoclin but the suppositories are almost instant .Such a pain - literally ,

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »

Thanks Winterose

I'll phone the surgery when I've finished work Wednesday

Annie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »

The trick is to continue with treatment to keep the skin as supple as possible. 

Get the Nurse/GP to check there isn't a hair follicle involved as that can take some sorting! because of the bacteria in that area ………..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5