Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2555 times)

Dibleydo

« on: April 29, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »

Hi, I am new to the forum, am so happy to have found it, I have been post menopausal for about 2 years, delayed going to Drs because of the bad press HRT has, was prescribed HRT, tried about 6 different types, nothing really worked, then had heavy blood flow, ended up going to gynae for scan,all was ok, was advised I wasn't monitored properly in the prescribing of HRT, stopped   HRT    in desperation used most of the 'natural' remedies, sage, black cohosh, evening primrose oil , a magnet in my pants, red clover, even sent to New York for Flashfighters ! for 3 months each time and got nowhere, my BIG problem is the night sweats, I can have up to 9 wake ups in the night, not good for me as I work full time and have a lot of driving to do, have now been referred to gynae again and been prescribed Everol Sequi, so far after 6 weeks no change, surely if its going to work a month should be sufficient time, I feel by the time anything does work it will be 3 years down the line, any advice gratefully received.

pepperminty

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »

Welcome Dibleydo,

There are ladies with much more knowledge than me who will be along soon to help you I am sure. Also there is the option of writing to Doctor Currie on the site for advice. I can sympathise with the night sweats , I slept with 4 ice packs (the ones you put in to keep food cold) during last year. one on my feet , cuddling one and the others dotted around me! Not perfect , but it helped.  You have come to the right place.

Pepperminty xx

dazned

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »

The rule of thumb for hrt to work is 3 months,I know that isn't what you want to hear,like me we want to feel better yesterday !
Some people find that the AD citlopram works well for hot flushes have you considered that alongside hrt ?

Sorry should have welcomed you first !  ;) :welcomemm:

You will find lots of support here your in good company!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »

Hi Dibleydo :welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear about the sweats....

With patches you should be noticing a difference within the first few weeks - at least a reduction in their frequency until one day they disappear! How old are you? I found that dose of oestrogen worked well for me from the start and have never changed my dose - except once to try to come off for 3 months or to reduce...

Where are you sticking them and are you making sure they are well stuck on skin without any products or creams added? Also have you had other things checked eg thyroid etc?

I hope, and I am sure, you will notice a difference very soon!

Hurdity x

PS were you put on Evorel sequi because you wanted a bleed, or because of possible progesterone intolerance so that you could tell the difference between when you are taking oestrogen and progestogen together?

Dibleydo

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »

Thank you so much for your welcomes ,it's such a nice feeling to be with like minded ladies discussing this subject. Hurdity, I am 58,I was put on everol sequi by the hospital, I would prefer no bleed, but it wasn't mentioned and I didn't know to ask, I will be asking more when I go back for my first check up in early june,any ideas what I need to be aware of or ask about ?, I sat in the consulting room, probably nodding like a pet dog, I didn't ask anything just accepted, I feel now full of promise with all the knowledge on the forum, the patches I wear hip high, very careful with no creams or talcs or air bubbles, I quite like the patch idea as it is easier than taking tablets, once again thanks everyone for all your wonderful help and ideas.     

notgivingin

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »

Hello, also a new member . I know how hard it is doing all the driving, I used to drive hundreds of miles a week, its exhausting!
Its not until you stop , get off the treadmill so to speak you realise how much you are running on empty. Is there any way you could ask to go part time?

Good luck with your quest for relief, I feel for you - alternative therapies are my saviour!  Yet today I ache everywhere - hips are so sore  :-\

Jems512

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »

What alternative therapies have you tried that work?

notgivingin

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

Hi Jems512.
With menopause I am yet to discover whether it works I orignslly went to the herbalist to see if she could help with the return of period pains as they were becoming less frequent but far more painful . They have really calmed down but since starting I have had very painful and tender breasts, more mood swings and fluid retention . Is this down to taking the herbs ? Or is it nth menopause itself upping it's game I don't know. I do feel since I've been on the herbs that things have declined to be honest - as I say the pain was relieved but I am having odd bleeds mid cycle now and am all over the place so not sure what's what. I've used loads of  other remedies that have sorted me out main ones being homeopathy - tree allergies gone - they were bad! Endometrios - cured until recently returning but had 10 years pain free - that was herbal medicine
And chronic sinusitis massively helped by VOgel remedies. Also use AUssie Bush remedies for emotional support - help so much