Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Progesterone nightmare all advice required  (Read 2410 times)

susie w

Progesterone nightmare all advice required
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

Hello everyone
Found this site early hours yesterday morning so signed up as a member in the hope some advice and help is better than none.
I will point out I am writing this on behalf of my sister Sue, so forgive me if it turns into a missal!!

Sue is almost 60 years of age still has her ovaries although she doesn't have her 'living room' her words not mine. Yes she can still maintain a sense of humour.

Quick background Sue has Cerebral Palsy but still manages to lead an active life plus has good communication skills.
So much in fact her GP last week passed the comment ' Sue you may have Cerebral Palsy but there is nothing wrong with your mouth'. This is because she needs a Doctor to sit up and take note.

She had cancer of the Thyroid 1981, successfully removed.
Her T levels are monitored, at present they are fine a visit to and Endocrinologist sorted this.

Her GP has put her on Elleste Progesterone only HRT 2mg , however every 28 days or so she 'dies' these are her words.
Chronic fatigue sets in, so much in fact she will just step out of her clothes and collapse in bed for 4/5 days to sleep and sip water.

She doesn't have the strength to even make a cuppa.
She has no anxiety or depression Sue says she has got the strength for those symptoms!!

We have kept a diary now for well over a year and it is more or less like clockwork.
So, we know there are 52 weeks in a year but Sue only has approx 36 weeks of decent normal living.

She has blood tests albeit these are taken when she is well so of course all appears to be fine.. We are now awaiting her 'dying' few days and hope to literally carry her to have her bloods taken in the hope her hormone levels show something.
Her GP has actually got her an appointment for a sleep clinic, God knows why!
All Suggestions and advice appreciated.
Thanks Fran

Dancinggirl

Re: Progesterone nightmare all advice required
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:20:25 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
If she doesn't have her 'living room' does this mean your sister has had a hysterectomy?
Elleste Solo 2mg should actually be oestrogen only not progesterone alone - is your sister on Elleste Duet 2mg? If your sister is on Elleste Duet which contains both oestrogen and progesterone then she may be reacting to the progesterone which is very common.
We need a bit more info about your sister to be able to help.
If she has had a hysterectomy, why did she have this? Did she suffer with endometriosis? Post hysterectomy, combined HRT is given if endometriosis is still an issue.
If she is on the combined Elleste containing oestrogen and progesterone for half the month this would explain the bad reaction for several days each month. 
At nearly sixty, has she considered taking a break from HRT to see how she feels. If HRT is to be continued beyond 60 then transferring to a lower dose transdermal HRT is usually advised. There are preparations/combinations that have different progesterones that may suit her better.
Get back to us with more info and we can support you better.  DG x

susie w

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »

Hello Dancing girl
My apologies I have messed up with the info, I have just clarified some things with Sue.
She is on Elleste Solo 2mg.
The Hysterectomy was the result of Fibroid s.
She did try to come off HRT but night sweats etc persisted
Thanks
Fran

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:19:40 AM »

Hi Susie w
If she is on Elleste Solo then she is using oestrogen only and I believe it is really rare to have this type of negative reaction on a regular basis when using oestrogen.  If it was the oestrogen that was giving her these problems then she would have it all the time.  To  have monthly phases of exhaustion etc would indicate some sort of cycle going on - all very strange.
As I said, I am not an expert but it would be wise to discuss what is happening to a doctor as I suspect it isn't the hormones causing the problems but something else. She is on a good dose of oestrogen to help reduce flushes and night sweats but many of us find that through our 50s many other health issues emerge to give some very strange symptoms.  We shouldn't always assume it's HRT that is the problem - in fact when I had a break from HRT fro a year my health really deteriorated. I am 59 and had a premature menopause so have been on and off HRT for over 20 years - for me it's just the progesterone and withdrawal bleeds that give me trouble on HRT because I still have my uterus but I am suffering with some chronic fatigue and terrible aches and pains at the moment - I had a virus about 2 months ago that triggered this.
Keep us posted about her progress.  DG x