Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: F*cking dopey GP's  (Read 11759 times)

honeybun

Re: F*cking dopey GP's
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 07:00:10 PM »

I think this is quite funny Taz because she gets things a bit mixed up now.....her words when I asked a few years ago...

The doctor gave me a big green pill....I only took one because it bloody near killed me.

Heaven only knows what the big green pill was, but she took nothing and all things considered apart from mild dementia, she has never had any aches or pains, a very little osteoporosis, and she started meno in 1965 when she was 43.
They just got on in those days, they had lived through a war, and rationing and for my mum living in not great conditions for many years. When my sister was born her and my dad were in one rented room in a tenement. They were made of tough stuff in those days.

Maybe the green pill was HRT, who knows....not her these days that's for sure. Oh and her sister is 91 and although she now has dementia, physically she was great up until a couple of years ago.

Just shows it can be done....they did it.

Honeybun
X

I probably should have said too, that she did not just exist but thoroughly enjoyed her life after meno. She took up bowling and went dancing every Saurday night.....she spent more time in front of the mirror than I did......it was not just an existence but after meno, a life very well lived.
Gives me hope I have to say.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:02:54 PM by honeybun »

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »

I just wondered whether my mum's doc was a bit forward thinking. I can remember that my mum got her prescription in 1970 when she was 51 - I remember it because she went one day and got HRT and I went the next and got the bcp!! Things might have changed a lot I suppose in the five years between our respective mums needing it.  I remember my mum being given green sleeping pills once - she didn't take them.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »

I do wonder what that big green pill that nearly killed her was  ;D

It was such early days for HRT though.

Still she managed. Just glad things have moved on a bit from big green pills.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »

Wonder if it was a suppository....  ;D

peegeetip

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee

good post on how we should take life and make the most of it.

Glad your finding your new way forward.
Go out there and enjoy it.
I'll keep your spanish saying to mind.

:-*

ps just some info on the "mid life crisis comedy" with the original uk series with Joanna Lumley :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitive_Skin_%28UK_TV_series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitive_Skin_%28Canadian_TV_series%29#Cast

These may not be to everyone's taste in humour 8)

Morwenna

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:43 AM »

I've a feeling I should remember the UK series Peegeetip - which one do you recommend? I like Joanna Lumley and would check out the series on DVD but it's quite pricey on that website that sells everything...

The only big green tablets I've ever encountered are Temazepam - they made me feel terrible!

Dandelion we're hijacking your thread a bit - sorry - I think your GP needs to go back to med school! :hug:

peegeetip

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »

PeriMeno School :)

The new series on Sky Arts is different to the original with our dear old Joanna :) (not that she looks old)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_Evh_U9IE

Just a taster from the old one I found.
I think a lot of us can relate to this on this Well Titled Post.

A similar interaction happens in the Kim Cattrall reworking of the comedy but I'd say the new version goes further in its approach and the interaction is improved with a bit of US Gusto replacing English Politeness ;)

Please doc's leave us be. We'll shout if we need you  :o
And word of advise doc's "never ask a lady her age, especially when its right in front of you in her notes!"  :P
 :-*

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:36:18 AM by peegeetip »

Dandelion

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »

Many doctors are scared of being held accountable for prescribing something that might cause cancer, but they won't be held accountable for you having poor quality of life. After years of poor health I sought help from a private gynaecologist at the age of 60, who tells me I can take the low dose HRT 'forever' if I so wish. This is my body, my decision; I know there is risk, but I have gone for quality over quantity of life. The thought of living another 30 years of extreme exhaustion was unthinkable. It is amazing how much difference a small amount of oestrogen has made and I have been given expertise help in finding the best progesterone regime for me. Life is good.
I'm sorry that you had to suffer till age 60 but glad you have been given oestrogen.

I agree, quality over quenitiy every time.
Sod the risk, it's based on a flawed study anyway.
Sod cancer, I have anxiety but cancer-fear is not a worry of mine, a bigger worry is vulnerability, dying while still alive, soul separating from the body, for example, the poor people in care homes who cannot walk, talk or feed/toilet/bathe themselves. I don't want that, I want my body to die before my soul, or at the same time like it's supposed to, I don't want to be a walking corpse.
Yes, doctors have their own body and it should be our choice, but I cannot get any GP's to agree that quality of life is most imperative.

Dandelion

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »

I am really pleased about the contributions from members on this thread.

I don't want a break in my hrt, because I want it for life. I stopped producing oestrogen at 42 years, I am going to need it for the rest of my life for optimal physical and mental health and a life worth living. I doubt if I will have any qualms about taking my own life, if I don't get a terminal illness/ticket out, I just don't want to live the way I was living, as i also have suspected ADHD and mental health problems, I just cannot take meno problems on top.
Once I wet my self, I was sober, I got up to use the loo and it all just came out. I haven't bothered telling any doctors, I forgot, and I doubt they will care, and I don't know if nhs provide incontinence pads, they should, same with tampons.
I feel abused by my GP's, they have taken over my body, they have each got a body of thier  own, which they can make choices on and they should let me, sod cancer I don't care about it, I have relatives who died of it.

@GypsyRoseLee, I would always take choice A. Even if I was unlucky enough to get cancer at fifty. It's a horrrible world this, beautiful earth, but shit world, so much fear, hatred and suffering.

My mum had a hysterectomy at 47 and a surgical meno, she took premarin for five years and she said it helped her anxiety, and when she came off, all meno symptoms had gone.
My two sisters, age 49, and 50 are just getting the first flushes. One of them is using 'mind over matter' to get through her meno, my mum told me, but I said mind over matter doesn't work when you have three liquid sh!ts per day, can't control bladder sometimes and other bollocks symptoms. My mum said it sounds like I am having a dreadful menopause.
I am so unstable mentally, that if I stopped my hrt to see how I go, I dunno if I would survive it, because, like I said earlier, I was collecting a cocktail of drugs, to take one day, when things got too bad, in the hope that these drugs would euthanise me. I even went on those dreadful suicide web sites. I don't want to go there again, I will always need oestrogen.
If I had been in the war, or the death camps, I would have been one of the first to die.
My will to live is hanging by a thread. Viktor Frankl a holocaust survivor said that those who lost the will to live in the death camps, were the first to die, that would have been me. I was brought up to be weak, docile and dependent, even though I am intelligent, I have no cahoneys or commmon sense.
 I was brought up to be dependant on my parents, as they were mentally unhealthy and insecure, I have been trying all my life to act my age, but feel stunted emotionally and broken mentally due to the way I was brought up.
I don't need hormone bollocks on top of this.
I'm fragile, broken, stunted.
I am just not a survivor, I admire survivors, but I just don't have it in me to get through tough times., full stop, I wish I did.

Don't worry about the hijack thread, discussions sometimes do branch off, it's ok.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:40:26 AM by Dandelion »

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »

I try to sympathize Dandelion but I find all the talk of taking your own life very distressing to be honest and I'm not at all sure this forum is the appropriate place for it.

I do however wish you all the best.

Honeyb
x

peegeetip

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »

I think more carefully consideration and tact might be order of the day here.

People can talk as they wish to in regards to there "personal experiences" on this part of the forum.
It might help them see where they've been, where they are and where they want to go.
If estrogen does help dandelion then good for her and she's becoming a survivor however she might not yet know it.

I've read quite a few distressing threads caused by the double speak, confusion, interference and inaction of others we should be able to trust in the last few days.
I just hope with our support and by sharing with Dandelion and others, that a lot of us have been at our wits end with this often ignored path we follow.

If some don't like it then please don't read the thread.
However please don't make others feel that they are somehow unwelcome and this is not an appropriate place to air their personal experiences.
This maybe the only outlet to their emotions they have.

Thanks

:-X

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:18:51 PM by peegeetip »

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »

Of course I want to support Danelion, it just upsets me and like everyone else I am allowed to voice a concern.

I have been on this forum a long time and everyone is made to feel welcome and supported I hope.

I also don't think I will be alone in feeling distressed in reading of someone's plan to possible take their own life. I also feel very unsure of what response I could possibly make.

I did say I sympathised but that's all I can say as I am not qualified and have no personal experience of this situation.

Honeyb

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »

If I have to take HRT for the rest of my life to sustain a general overall sense of well-being, then I am happy to. But my medium term plan is to stay on it for the next couple of years, and then trial a break.

Very early menopause (a cousin was 29, an aunt was 38, another cousin was 43) runs very strongly in my family. So, there's every chance that by the time I am 46/47 I would be the other side of the menopause. But I won't know unless I stop the HRT for a while. It might well be that I will feel absolutely fine if my hormones have settled down post menopause?

My Mum took HRT for 3 years in her early 40s after a hysterectomy. It cured her previously unsuspected peri symptoms of anxiety/low mood almost overnight. But after 3 years she stopped taking it, and felt absolutely fine. No meno symptoms. That was nearly 30 years ago.

There's no reason to believe I have to take HRT forever, or even for 10 years. But if I have to then that's fine. I just can't bear the thought of going back to how frightened and low I felt for most of the time over these last 16 months. It doesn't bear thinking about.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »

If you are feeling upset about your GPs' words then ask for a referral to a Meno Clinic or Gynaecologist who 'deals' with menopause.  No One should be made to feel suicidal, in fact, in your shoes I would go back to the GP in question and tell her she has a choice - be more sympathetic about the HRT and my requirements or refer me to a Psychiatrist …….. because worrying about what will happen as you approach 50 is going to impact on daily living!!!

Are you good at stamping your feet?  I am, theoretically  ;).  When very ill with depression I went and sat in the waiting room as it was the only place I felt 'safe' - as DH was at work.  No neighbours.  I was never turned away.  More recently when DH as away I was overcome with panic, again I wandered down to the waiting room and sat ……. until a GP could see me.  It was obvious that I wasn't going anywhere else anytime soon  ::).

Do you have a Practice Manager you could talk with?  Could you chat withe a local Pharmacist about treatments and which Surgeries support menopause? 

We really shouldn't have to fight for a proper discussion about *our* needs  :bang: :bang: :bang: and GPs shouldn't be spouting off about 'research' that is years out of date  :cuss:

Dandelion

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »

I try to sympathize Dandelion but I find all the talk of taking your own life very distressing to be honest and I'm not at all sure this forum is the appropriate place for it.

I do however wish you all the best.

Honeyb
x
Hi Honeybun

I am really sorry my post distressed you.
I know you sympathise and I appreciate that.
From a menopause point of view, I am just glad I got my HRT but probably wouldnt have if it were not for this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3