Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and the no-food rule  (Read 18687 times)

SueRoe

Utrogestan and the no-food rule
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »

My neighbour has just asked me if I know if anything bad actually happens if she doesn't stick to the "one hour before/two hours after food" rule when taking Utrogestan. I wondered this when I took it but didn't try to find out the answer. We managed to find out somewhere in the depths of the internet that taking it too near to eating increases its bioavailability. What she wants to know is, since she's taking 100mg and a safe dose is clearly at least 200mg because that's what many women take, surely taking a 100mg dose at the "wrong" time occasionally (she's busy and forgetful) and increasing its bioavailability wouldn't matter. And if all this does is send the level a bit awry for a while well our level isn't steady anyway because our own hormones are going haywire "underneath" the level provided by the Utrogestan anyway (can't put this any more clearly I'm afraid). Does anyone understand what I'm getting at and have any comments for two confused women please?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan and the no-food rule
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »

Hi Freda

I totally understand and I think it is a strange requirement (ie the no food rule) - we have discussed it before on here and have also found out about the increased bio-availability with food (presumably food slows down its - Utrogestan's - transit through the bowel or something?).

I agree that this can't do any harm - it is not toxic or harmful at high doses, although I can imagine the systemic levels ( ie concentration on the bloodstream) may vary more if you sometimes take it with food and sometimes not - which means that there could be greater likelihood of intermittent bleeding or spotting (since reduction in progesterone levels will trigger a bleed). Also as you say she is taking 100 mg....

I am sure it will be absolutely fine and not to worry!

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »

I used to struggle with not eating before taking my utro and I now stuff the pills up my chuff.
It's working better, my periods are ok. Heavyish for first day, but nowhere near as bad as before I was on HRT.
When I was on oral utro, I had a scanty period one month, where my womb didnt fully seem to empty, but on the first p.eriod using vaginal utro, I got a really heavy one, but it settled down
So, stick it up your chuff is the answer. hahahhahahh :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »

Ask a Pharmacist  :-\

Taking with food is often to line the gut so that the outer coating doesn't affect it.  Some meds need taking on an empty stomach in order to be absorbed ……… it was difficult for me as an anorexic sometimes  ::)

What did she decide?

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »

stick it up your chuff Dandelion?!! I had to read that twice, made me chuckle!! :rofl:

Dacia Felix

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:10:52 AM »

@Freda,
Not everyone can handle 200mg Utrogestan. I get  breast tenderness at a 200mg dose, the 100mg is enough for me.

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »

stick it up your chuff Dandelion?!! I had to read that twice, made me chuckle!! :rofl:
hahhahahahhahahah