Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Immodium for IBS  (Read 7281 times)

honeybun

Immodium for IBS
« on: April 18, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »

Years ago the doctor prescribed this for me. I never really used it and it was kept for tummy upsets. I have a packet in the cupboard like most people.

Over the past week my anxiety has been troublesome and it definitely affects my IBS. I have taken an Immodium the past two morning just to have the confidence to actually get out of the house without having to worry about being caught short.

My questions are......how long can you take them for, and if anyone does do they find they are just not very hungry.
My appetite has been rubbish the past two days and I wondered if there was a connection .

Honeybun
X

Annie0710

Re: Immodium for IBS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »

I don't know about Immodium (I only use it if needed abroad), but I used to suffer terribly with IBS, I stumbled across pro20super capsules and order them on repeat from a website, I have been taking one a day and can't remember the last flare up I had

Xx

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »

What are they for Annie. Had a Google and can't find them anywhere.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »

Anxiety + tension = loss of appetite for me  :-\
My friend uses Immodium when flying ………
I did buy some years ago but never dared use it ……… after all if the body needs to expel anything it's for a reason.
Does hit help Honeybun?  If you use it the morning you go to Mum's for example then it should be OK as a short-term measure.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:52:49 PM »

I was told immodium is OK for emergencies, but where possible not to use. If taken over too long a time it encourages a lazy gut. I seldom have need of them these days. Although I always took them with me when abroad. It's fine knowing where toilets are in familiar places but whole different ball game in a strange place.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »

My gut and bowels begin to roll if I don't know where the loo is, even when I visit 'friends'  ::)

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »

What are they for Annie. Had a Google and can't find them anywhere.

Honeybun
X

Healthspan website , I looked up the reviews before I initially bought them and people were raving about them.  I could barely walk some days for the pain and meds I was prescribed from docs didn't work xx

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »

I have used it but only when I really needed to be near a toilet and it was stopping me leaving the house.
Had been advised by GP only to use for very short term, not sure what that is but assume a couple of days max. Think the logic was the body needs to expel whatever is causing the problem.

Going off on a bit of a tangent - Years ago I'd remembered reading that grated apples were good for stopping diarrhoea. I tried it after a run in with a dodgy Chinese takeaway, it worked brilliantly, stopping the explosive happenings of my rear end.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »

Hi Honeybun. My doctor was very against me using immodium for my IBS unless in a real emergency as it can lead to the bowel becoming lazy but does prescribe Buscopan which I find works well for those mornings when it's getting near leaving for work time and my tummy still hasn't settled. I think that you've tried these before though!

I've discovered that a trigger for my IBS is.. celery! It seems such an innocuous thing but it makes such a difference if I eat any - that and beetroot too - which is a shame as I love both of them!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »

Guess what I bought to go with our salad tonight....celery...think I might give it a miss.

I read a whole load of reviews re Immodium by people who are taking anything up to six in a day.
Not that I need it that badly but I have to admit I will resort to the occasional one especially if I'm going on a longer journey. The thought of not being able to get to the loo sets off my anxiety which in turn sets off the IBS. It's when you are sitting there and you feel that ominous gurgle and you just know it's not going to end well.

So I guess the message is.....once in a while is just fine. I have had my current box for two years so I will just keep them for very occasional use.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

Two years? Are they still in date? I always have a box in my handbag for those "just in case" days when I might be a hundred or so miles from home and get that horrible gurgle but they usually only have around six months before expiry.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 03:33:56 PM »

HB my son's GF had a very upset tum on her first visit to Florida a few years back. She had to take immodium, but after first two her tum was still upset so ended up taking all six. Son basically said she was unable to £#?¥ for a month afterwards. OK maybe not quite a month, but messed her up big time.

Daughter's partner had to take after his op last year, but was only advised to take 1 a day. He seldom needs them now.

Morwenna

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »

My Dad was prescribed them on an 'as and when required' basis for his IBS. He reckoned they were a big help and took up to four a day  :o  - I have IBS-C - four Immodium a day would render me constipated for the rest of my life!! Since undergoing major bowel surgery for a burst diverticular abscess, strangely, he finds he no longer needs them.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 06:52:36 PM »

Funny how our innards all work differently. I had one on Friday and then another one on Saturday and by the following morning on both days it was back to the morning rush. Things either move through too quickly or hang around and cause bloating but never constipation.
When things are slow I feel sluggish and windy. My tummy needs to rumble for me to feel ok. Not a lower in my bowels type rumble (that's the worrying one ) but the upper type rumble that says some sort of digestion is going on.

I am convinced if my stomach worked better my anxiety would be so reduced. It's the never quite knowing what's going to happen next that upsets everything.
Being anxious is so tiring.....then I have my mother telling me I look worn out...emm

No **** Sherlock.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:23 PM »

I agree Honeybun 'cos when we're going on a journey my guts begin to threaten action  >:( …….. motorway driving starts me off, knowing that it is such a long way to the loo even when we get parked: why do the architects put the conveniences where they aren't, actually, convenient?  Why not a block in the open air rather than needing to walk through all that food smells to get there  :-X ………. I know it's do drawer people in to the food outlets/book stalls/and other tat but  :bang: :bang: :bang:

I'd rather pee on the hard shoulder  ::) ………. and I worry before we go to a strange place about what the bathroom will be like, if it's OK then I begin to relax, if it's not ………. though what a 'not' bathroom equates too I don't really know  :D ……
Pages: [1] 2