Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Credit card hacked  (Read 5638 times)

bramble

Credit card hacked
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »

Just had a phone call to say my credit card has been hacked - 6 suspicious purchases, only one of which has been paid. Fortunately credit card company will refund the money but nuisance, it will take a fortnight for my new card to come through (and another few weeks for me to memorise the number!).
First time this has happened in over 20 years............

Anyone else?

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Credit card hacked
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »

In the 1990s.  The Bank phoned to say that there was a problem with a purchase in the days when cards were swiped ......... the amount of money DH had signed for had been altered (double)  ::) - the guy who ran a small clothing outlet went to Jail  :o

More recently DH ordered a chest freezer from Amazon but because he never used his card abroad and the item was being despated from Holland ........ so not quite the same as Amazon were on the ball.

I can never remember those numbers  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »

I got an email last year from my mobile phone company telling me that my new iPhone was on its way....but not to my address. Someone had got into my account and ordered one. Obviously it wasn't sent but the thing that really annoyed me was the fact the phone company was quite happy to send the phone to an address in England with no questions asked. They never even passed the details onto the police. If they had then surely the person who did order it could have been caught.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you bramble, it's a blooming nuisance and very unsettling I think.

There is also a very clever PayPal scam email doing the rounds at the moment. It can be easy to get caught out if your not very wary.

Honeybun
X

purplenanny

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »

Oh that's horrible Bramble. Thank goodness the bank covers it.

I had my card used in Holland a few years back, following a trip to see my son who was out there for a couple of years. Again the bank covered it (£900) but it was a real pain.

PN x x

bramble

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:27 PM »

Yes, that will put a stop to my spending for the next few weeks unless I carefully use my debit card to trusted companies.

Bramble

purplenanny

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »

You have reminded me HB, there is also a scam from someone mimicking Amazon. Very clever and using actual names.
We need to be careful

PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »

There was a system of swiping cards a few years back, particulraly in petrol stations  >:(