Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Can't take HRT anymore advice on other prescribable treatments  (Read 2399 times)

paulineh

After a 4 day migraine headache accompanied by vomiting and unable to get out of bed I think the time has come to bite the bullet & acknowledge that after 6 years of this off & on HRT is not for me. I need something though & I've read the bit on non HRT prescribable treatments & wondered if anyone could offer some advice on this.
I need a plan of something because I can't go on like this it's absolutely horrendous. It'll not happen again for a few months & I think it's all going to be fine but it always comes back. It doesn't matter what doseage I'm on or delivery method it's always there. I'm at my wits end with this & really don't want to go through it again.
It makes it difficult to make plans to go anywhere or do anything as I'm terrified it strikes again. Any advice would be very helpful I'm really low about all this.

Dancinggirl

Re: Can't take HRT anymore advice on other prescribable treatments
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »

Hi
The private gynae I saw recently recommended Citalopram as the SRRI that he found the most effective in helping meno symptoms for those that cannot take HRT. - however I think it can still be a trial and error process in finding the right AD/SRRI that works for you.  I have a colleague at work who is doing really well on Citalopram.  DG x

thorntrees

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »

I was prescribed citalopram when HRT wasn't an option. I resisted at first as I couldn't see how an AD would help but my GP said it had been shown to ease flushes etc and I have taken  10mg dose once a day for a year now. A few side effects to begin with but flushes now reduced especially during the day and generally feel better in myself. I suppose I will have to stop them at some point or I will never know whether I am completely through the menopause  but GP happy for me to stay on them  for now as I am. Might be worth a try if you are struggling

Thorntrees

paulineh

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »

Where the side effects really bad thorntrees? X

thorntrees

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »

They do vary from person to person I gather. For me it was mainly feeling a bit spaced out and for some reason aching legs for about a week, I also felt a bit nauseous and headachy but nothing too bad, I gradually began to feel better and noticed flushes lessened after about a month when I presume the drug was at a stable level. The therapeutic dose is 20mgs but my GP reccomended starting low and I have never increased from  10mgs.Of course we all react differently to any medication and maybe I have just been lucky in finding something that seems to help me, perhaps a chat with your GP would help, I think there are other ADs that are also known to help with menopause but I don't know any of their names. Hope you find a way forward soon.

Thorntrees

paulineh

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »

Thank you thorntrees. I'm going to try & see my GP this week. Nothing can be any worse than how I've felt this week & I just know I can't go on like this. I can't lift this blooming headache & I'm all over the place. I'm tired of feeling like this & how it impacts so seriously on your quality of life.

rebelyell

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »

I started Citalopram in December and they did totally stop hot flushes.  But - and like others say, it varies from person to person - I am giving up on them as they make my mind 'race' a bit and flatten my emotions too much.   The main side effect for me was digestive IBS type symptoms with loose stools and over-active bowel.  I lost a lot of weight and can't seem to put it back on.  It is a common side -effect I think.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »

So sorry to hear about your bad migraines paulineh. I presume you've had these checked out by the doctor to rule out other causes?

Also what HRT are you on? Sounds like you've tried transdermal if you've tried different routes? Tablet HRT is not recommended with migraines How frustrating and debilitating. I get migraines now and again but never with the vomiting so I really sympathise.

Sorry I can't help re the treatments.

Hurdity x