Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Angelica Jolie  (Read 4381 times)

Dancinggirl

Angelica Jolie
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »

Just seen the news that Angelica Jolie has had her ovaries removed to prevent her risk of developing ovarian cancer. She has been very open about having her breasts removed and now this and I think she has been brave to not only go through all this surgery but also to raise awareness over these issues. Will she be as open about any hormone treatment she receives to cope with the surgical menopause she will be plunged into? I do hope she will be, as it could benefit those thousands of women who go through surgical and early menopause and require hormonal support. All too often we read posts on MM about women not getting the post operative support they need to cope.
DG x

Joyce

Re: Angelica Jolie
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »

Think she is on HRT now.  Maybe she will join us on here.  ::)

I hope she is open about it all & maybe someone like her will make the medical profession finally realise we are not making up these symptoms & we are not depressed!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »

Does she have a family history that necessitates such drastic decisions?  Maybe send her the Link to MM?

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »

Yes she does. She was carrier of BRCA1. Her mum had it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »

So she made the choice.  Hysterectomy next?

Amandajane46

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »

I beleave her mum died of ovarian cancer

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »

Her mother had breast and ovarian cancer - that's why she was tested and had everything removed.
Dg x

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »

Apparently aunt & grandmother also died from cancer. This latest operation was always planned at some point, but because of early indicators it was decided to proceed now.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »

I hope that she will write a book to share the experiences.

Dana

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »

I also hope she is very open about what hormonal treatment she will probably have to take on, because so far all the reports are about how wonderfully brave she's been for having the surgery (which of course she is), but it's being made to sound like this surgery will solve all her problems. In reality, as we all know too well, it could just be the start of different problems for her.

No one should ever enter into elective surgical menopause lightly. I'm sure Angie's had all the right information given to her, and she has weighed up all the pros and cons, but a lot of less informed women may think that having their ovaries removed is a very easy path to take to avoid possible cancer.

Linsey44

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »

Angelina wrote her article re this for the new york times where she goes into more detail.

She has said she is on hrt, she had ovaries and tubes removed, retained uterus so has local progesterone and said she has a tiny patch for the oestrogen.

If anyone is interested google anglelina jolie new york times it should bring uo the whole article.

Linsey

Dana

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:06:28 AM »

These are the two links to her stories - 2013 and 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/opinion/angelina-jolie-pitt-diary-of-a-surgery.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html

I'm very pleased to hear that she has chosen conventional estrogen patches and (what sounds like) a mirena, and not the compounded creams that so many Americans seem to opt for. She said she has chosen to retain her uterus because she doesn't carry a family cancer risk with that, but she might have found things were a little less "complicated" without it, with the need for progesterone.

Anyway, I'm pleased to hear that things seem to be going well for her. The menopause sisterhood can only applaud her for being so open about such personal issues.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:52:33 AM by Dana »

Linsey44

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:42:28 AM »

CLKD I would imagine there are a number of women on this site with similar stories maybe that could be a future topic.

I have BRCA2 gene mutation had hysterectomy in 2013, ovaries removed 2014 and this year having double masectomy with reconstruction within next few months.

I am grateful that i have been able to make informed choices and i  dont share the view of other people that i am brave.

I have spoken to a number of women who have done what i am doing and strangely we all  feel those that go through cancer treatment are the  brave ones.

My main aim alongside prevention is to set an example to my daughter (10yrs) that should she have the gene mutation then surgery is not something to fear.

Linsey

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:27:21 AM by Linsey44 »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »

Linsey44 - you are so right about having informed choices.  I think this is what this site is about - giving us the information so we can make informed choices. If you have seen anyone go through cancer treatment I can understand that going through all this quite drastic surgery to prevent cancer can be a very pro active and  positive. It also enables you to get the benefits of oestrogen, if you wish to use it, without the risks.   I still think you are very brave.   DG x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »

When the Surgeon hinted that I had 'cancer' I immediately decided to have both breasts removed.  However, at appt. he told me that 'ladies with your condition do not require mastectomy' so I got on with treatment as recommended.