Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Flask of tea  (Read 7944 times)

ariadne

Flask of tea
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:29 PM »

We were almost ready to leave for the allotment this morning and I had warmed the flask up prior to filling it with tea so it would stay hot for longer. I poured the tea in and had just topped it up with milk when there was a sudden explosion and  I and the entire kitchen were covered in hot tea!  Hubby dashed into the kitchen to find me sliding down a kitchen cupboard helpless with laughter, tea dripping from my hair and down my face.

The flask had exploded and tea was all over my lovely clean kitchen. You wouldnt believe how far that tea travelled! Hubby had to climb up and scrub the ceiling as well as the cupboard doors. I had tea all over my hair, face, glasses and clothes.

It was my own fault of course. It was a proper flask with glass innards and the water i used to warm it was from a recently boiled kettle. I guess the explosion was caused by the cooling effect of the milk

Never do that ladies!  :drunklaf:

Ariadne xx

bramble

Re: Flask of tea
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 10:04:02 PM »

I always used to make my coffee in a pyrex jug, add the milk and then put it in the microwave for a minute or so. Kept warmer longer in a SS flask. Didn't know you could still get the glass ones! Guess it was juice at the allotment then?

Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »

I reckon you were really lucky not to get badly scalded Ariadne. I spilt some hot tea on my hand once and it blistered quite badly. You are not the only one to have this happen though... https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=oo5CB3WxGmU

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »

Goodness you're lucky you weren't scalded or blasted with slivers of glass.

My mum did worse once. Cooking condensed milk in a can to make toffee. Pan went dry. Can exploded with toffee dripping from ceiling. She couldn't quite see the funny side as it resulted in scraping said toffee off ceiling & walls then redecorating my gran's kitchen.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:33:11 PM »

I haven't used a flask for many a year 'cos they break so easily.  How's the kitchen this evening  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:03 PM »

Gosh you were lucky.

Honeybun
X

rosebud57

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »

My husband had a similar experience, many years ago, with a tin of black treacle.  It had been in the kitchen cupboard of ages, leftover from making a xmas cake.  He decided to put some on toast, but what he was unaware of was that it had started to ferment.

He levered the lid then BANG.  Lid hit the ceiling and treacle went everywhere. 

I entered the kitchen to find husband covered in treacle and globules dripping from the ceiling. :rofl: 

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:14 AM »

Strangely, all the shattered glass remained inside the flask. Just the tea was propelled upwards and outwards. I'm afraid my lovely white ceiling still has tea stains on.

We did take tea to the allotment- in a metal flask with no glass inside  ;)

Ariadne xx