Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: panic attacks  (Read 4657 times)

nigela

panic attacks
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »

Suddenly had a bad panic attack whilst out-even tho I had my dog with me. Then a week later another one. Heart pounded so much and i felt like I could not move-wanted to run home but couldn't. very scary. had few of these on and off but quite a while since the last one. thought I had it sorted! a years since last period too so hoped meno was easing, however hot flushes are back. Cannot take HRT due to DVT risk in family. Any tips most welcome

gina123

Re: panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »

hi nigela
have had panic attacks on and off last 6 years ever since health scare...i had a bad couple of months dec and jan also due to health scare..now go to mindfullness and cbt which has helped..also can't take hrt...ask dr about refferal to cpn..hope that helps
gina

nigela

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »

Thanks Gina, went to mindfullness class and even felt panicky there. perhaps i need to try it at home.Know a girl who has waited years here for cbt. Again would reading about it help?
looking into herbs etc!
Nigela

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »

I borrowed a CBT book from my library last year and found it quite helpful - I guess it depends on your personality, but I prefer to work through things in my own time and space so always prefer DIY where possible!

Might be worth trying chamomile tea which is a mild sedative.  Don't drink large quantities for long periods though as it can irritate the stomach lining. 

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »

St Johns Wort is good for anxiety but of course check with your GP or pharmacist first.

B vitamins are also very good. Bachs rescue remedy....you can get a spray or drops. 

Just a few suggestions.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »

I'm almost half way through CBT, not overly impressed if I'm honest. She's a lovely therapist, but not really my type of thing. Like Dorothy, I prefer to work through it my way. At CBT we discuss how I've been, then she dives into her filing cabinet for more bumf. Last time she suggested doing a Relate Personality test online. However, at £19.99 I have declined. It tells you what kind of personality you have & what kinds will wind you up. Don't need to spend money to find that out. Yes it may be interesting, but seems rather pointless.

Suzyq

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:14:10 AM »

Cbt worked great for me but only with the second therapist - first was very nice and chatty but just didn't address anything. For me what also helped was trying to will a panic attack on or when you get those first feelings saying to yourself - come on, do your worst! That literally stopped them in their tracks. I also have self-hypnosis anti anxiety downloads that help greatly - haven't actually listened to them in about 9 months but used to listen to them virtually everyday.

nelliedee

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 06:15:25 AM »

Sorry to read you are having panic attacks  :'(  I would recommend cbt, the waiting list should be shorter than it used to be. I have started cbt and am finding it quite challenging. The website nomorepanic has a very good FREE cbt download and you may find that helpful. I used to practice mindfulness when I first entered Peri meno and I became a lot calmer and coped very well but I didn't keep it up  ::) and now find myself back to square one. Mindfulness for dummies is a good starting book and something you could work with. x

nigela

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »

Thanks folks will look up cbt books
Nigela

Millykin

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »

Oh i hate the panic attacks, not had one for a while though. Hope you feel better soon Nigela x
Sparkle Sorry had a wee chuckle there, funny how we think we are going to keel over, if i panic when I'm out and think oh no this is it I want to get home don't want the embarrassment of dropping in front of people and if I'm alone I think oh no how long before I'm found !  ;D can't win x

nigela

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »

Yes I forget to breath almost-like you can't! felt a thumping in my chest. It is that feeling of trapped and need to get home but cannot move which I hate.
Nigela

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »

So feel for you Nigela  I feel like I have tried everything to keep panic at bay I take 10mg propranalol when I am feeling at my worst Dr Claire Weekes is worth a read, there are lots of threads addressing anxiety and panic on here, try and stay strong  :-*
love Mrs B

sharon1958

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

Totally sympathise with you Nigela as I'm currently going through the same thing  :( I'm waking up virtually every night with terrible palpitations and panicky feelings which do subside but at the time it's an awful feeling. Unfortunately I seem to be getting them now during the day - not every day but quite frequently. Someone mentioned Propranolol but even they seemed to have stopped working. I take herbal remedies likes Kalms and Rescue Night which help me to nod off but don't stop the waking in the middle of the night. I also try to do the deep breathing exercises which help a bit. Any extra advice would be very welcome. My confidence has really been affected by all of this. I was on HRT for 7 years but was told it was time to come off it 6 months ago and would prefer not to take it if possible. My blood pressure is a bit on the high side - no wonder why!!

SallyG

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »

Yes I am experiencing panic and fear - it starts with physical symptoms with me - tummy problems, IBS etc and then tingling in the arms and numb hands. I am on HRT and an anti anxiety tablet 20mg but yesterday was bad after a really good phase. Am taking it easy today and doing some meditation. Have just signed up for a course in christian meditation and Im finding it very good. Seems to make more sense to me than just using mantras.
Sallyxxx