Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Average Age  (Read 4995 times)

toffeecushion

Average Age
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »

They say the average age of menopause is 51, is this the age of their last period or a year after their last period?

honorsmum

Re: Average Age
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »

Oooh, good question!

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »

I'm 49 this year and hoping that it is a year after your last period, which means if I am 'average' I haven't got long to go :)

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:16:23 PM »

According to this website (what and when is the menopause page), it is the last period.

Don't get too excited toffeecushion, I sailed past 49 and did not have my last period until 56 and a half. :(

toffeecushion

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »

Don't get too excited toffeecushion, I sailed past 49 and did not have my last period until 56 and a half. :(
Thanks, that has cheered me up :)

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »

I'd heard, before the age of 50 it's 2 years after the last period before it could be said that one was post menopausal. After 50, it's one year the last period.

BTW - it doesn't  seem to be set in stone.  ::)
Good this menopause lark init?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:33:58 PM by Limpy »

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »

Hi - As I understand, the 2 year thing is just for contraception - the menopause date is always 12 months after last period. It doesn't really matter exactly though does it? My mum tells me she was 59  :o .

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »

Hi - As I understand, the 2 year thing is just for contraception - the menopause date is always 12 months after last period. It doesn't really matter exactly though does it? My mum tells me she was 59  :o .

Hurdity x

I had my last period last Feb, just before my 51st birthday. I reach 52 this week so seem to be pretty average (unless one ever get one more than a year later?). Mine gradually became lighter and lighter and less frequent over the previous 5-7 years. Twice i thought they had finished and then i got a 1-2  day period after 7-8 months.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »

Not got a clue. I was eight months with no bleed when I went on HRT. That was when I was 49, so who knows what would have happened if I had waited to see. I think I was peri from about 47 and had gone seven months with no bleed before it returned for a year or more. I thought I was pregnant  :o

I suspect I would be menopausal by now as I'm 54.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »

I had intermittent periods from age 41 ………. and my last bleed during 2002.  FREE  ;D …… then the itchiness began, then the VA began  :(  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »

Hello ladies.

Thought I'd add my experiences as they may be a little different from the average. I am 58 and a half and had my last period at 53. Up until that time my periods had been regular and quite heavy with no tailing off at all. In 2010 I had a period in April, nothing again until September when I had a slight show and then nothing since. After that my menopause symptoms really kicked in, so much so that in May 2013 I began experimenting with HRT.

Many women seem to have a staggering of periods with bleeds becoming progressively lighter but that was not the case for me. By the way I remember feeling good at 49 and when my GP mentioned that he would prescribe HRT if I ever needed it I wondered what he was talking about!   I since discovered that his wife was having a rough time with her menopause so maybe things were tough at home!

Take care ladies.

K.

nelliedee

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »

My sil had 2 light ones and stopped. I have had heavy periods for over 10 years, I am almost 51 and the last 3 yrs have seen a shorter cycle but never missing a month. Lately they have been every 25 days, not quite as heavy and the last one lasted about 9 days. I was expecting a period this month and has not arrived. Last month and a few days back I started getting a slight stabbing in my pubic bone are !!! which is a new symptom. I do not take HRT but do take Propranolol.