Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: confused as usual !  (Read 1830 times)

dazned

confused as usual !
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »

I'm confused ,nothing new there  :)

I was under the impression that progesterone is needed to maintain a pregnancy! So how does giving norethisterone ( strong progesterone ) induce a bleed ?  :-\

I have tried to read so much I'm tying myself in knots with it all ! I know my own hormones now should be very depleted at 55 so why should they be more up and down then they were when I was 49 ? Surely they should just be lower but more stable ! I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm so ignorant. And the more I read all the web articles the more confused I am  :-\

dahliagirl

Re: confused as usual !
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »

Progesterone changes the lining from proliferation where the cells are just dividing and increasing and growing, to a 'secretory' phase, where the nature of the tissue changes to make it suitable for implantation.  This never seems to be explained properly in biology lessons, so I am not sure what exactly it means.

A period comes after the hormone levels drop rapidly, so it is the withdrawal of the progesterone that causes the bleed.

Hope this helps.

It is confusing :o

honorsmum

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »

Can't help with the progesterone bit Dazned but can certainly empathise with the confusion!

S x

Me too! It hurts my brain!!

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »

Also, I have just read that as you get past day 21 (optimal day for implantation), then the continuing progesterone changes the lining in ways that prepare it for shedding.  (decidualisation????????? ::) )

dazned

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »

Well at least it's not just me then that's a bit confused !  ;D Feel a bit better now !

Ah that explains it DG thanks it's the sudden drop of progesterone that causes the bleed makes sense now SIMPLES  ;)

I do like things to make sense in my head it's how I 've always been that way  :) I was that awful child that kept on " but why Mum "  ;D

dazned

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »

Decidulisation ! Isn't that what trees do ,drop their leaves!!! :rofl: