Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Not sure what to do about my Hrt now?  (Read 3335 times)

bella mama

Not sure what to do about my Hrt now?
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:40:20 PM »

Hi it's been a long time since I have posted on here. I have been on elleste duet 1mg coming up 2 yrs. I am now 44 and not sure what I should do about being on HRT now as my last bleed was I think October 2014!! It's now into March and I have not had any bleeding when I start new packets.  Is this ok as can't find any information about this.  I feel like I am about to start my period at start of each packet but nothing happens.
Hope someone can help . :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Not sure what to do about my Hrt now?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »

Hi bella mama
I am certainly no expert but logic would tell me that you have gone deeper into your menopause so your own oestrogen level has dropped. You are on a low dose of HRT and this may simply not have enough oestrogen to  build the womb lining and so there isn't anything to shed. The feelings you are getting after you start a new pack are normal PMT type symptoms most of us feel with the withdrawal of the progesterone. However my understanding is that if there isn't enough build up then there won't be a bleed - when on HRT you are not getting a period, it is simply the shedding of the uterus lining and this is why it's called a withdrawal bleed.
Elleste Duet is a carefully balanced preparation to ensure the womb lining is protected so I expect there is nothing to worry about. It could be worth having a word with your GP and possibly have a scan to check the womb lining if you are concerned - it would be more of a concern if you were getting heavy or problematic bleeding. At 44 you are wise to be using HRT to protect your heart and bones and it is generally advised to continue HRT until at least the normal age of meno (52-53).  Provided you are healthy there is no reason why you should stop HRT until at least 60 - many of us plan to continue beyond into our 60s if the benefits outweigh the risks.
If you are getting good symptom relief with your current HRT then you could continue on this dosage but if you are finding flushes and nights sweats are emerging then it could be worth upping your dose a bit.
I personally don't think you have anything to worry about.  If you feel good - just continue what you are doing .  DG x

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »

Hi
I'm sure this is fine not to have a bleed, I'm 44 and on Femoston. I started on 1/10 and had s bleed each month for first 3 packs then nothing for few months then a days bleed from nowhere. GP said it was fine. On my last visit I deciided to up my dose to 2/10 and took a bleed after first pack. You can up your dose to 2 mg if you want to have a bleed see if that helps x
And what DG says x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »

Hi bella mama

Just to add that the information on this  site says that the HRT types listed cause a bleed in 85% of patients - so you are one of the 15%!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

The explanation is just as Dancing girl says re the lining. Although I wasn't using one of those listed, when I first started HRT I got a bleed - but as I became post-menopausal my bleeds stopped so the oestrogen dose just didn't build up the lining enough in the 16 days I was on oestrogen alone.

Hurdity x

libra62

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »

Hi I'm new to all this my problem is not having a period for 7 months then a heavy one lasting 11 days out of no where I'd give anything not to have anymore periods I'm off to docs next week to discuss possible hrt I guess I'm in peri stage at the moment.
So not sure which of the hormones I need.
Hope you feel better soon

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:04:23 PM »

Hi and welcome libra62
Do start your own thread so more ladies can offer support.
Do read up all the info on this site and get back to us with questions. If you are finding your erratic periods a problem then you may be appropriate to have a Mirena fitted which would control and eventually stop all bleeding and you could then just add some oestrogen in patch or gel form to control any flushes etc.
Kee posting  DG x

libra62

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »

Oddly enough I hardly get hot flushes but I do get anxiety .mood swings headaches and have probs sleeping. I don't want a coil I'm a wimp and can't stand the thought of having things inserted into me as had bad experiance in the past with a coil that got lodged inside.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »

libra62
You could try HRT in pill form - something like Femoston is a good one to try first.  This could regulate things.
If you are having long gaps between the periods there is a good chance you are close them stopping completely anyway.  Dg x

bella mama

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »

Thank you all for replying to me. I have the doc this morning to just get a check over. Guess what I started a bleed about 5 days ago which lasted 2 days! Lol.... Since then it's been migrane, palpitations and leg cramps!!! Haha the roller coaster of peri!! 🎢🎢🎢

honorsmum

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »

Oddly enough I hardly get hot flushes but I do get anxiety .mood swings headaches and have probs sleeping. I don't want a coil I'm a wimp and can't stand the thought of having things inserted into me as had bad experiance in the past with a coil that got lodged inside.

I'm so reassured to read this - I've been offered the coil but can't bear the thought for the same reasons as you.

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »

Bella mama
At least it was just a couple of days lol, hope you get on ok today. Maybe you need a hike it dosr or a change maybe Femoston x