Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Does anybody else like Prempacc?  (Read 2971 times)

Liverpool Lass

Does anybody else like Prempacc?
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »

Hi everybody, I'm a newby but finding this site quite addictive as so much information being shared and menopause always seems to have this cloud of mystery around it!
Anyway I'm into my second month on Prempacc 1.25mg and feeling much better, I'm just concerned I haven't had a bleed but maybe I need to be patient.
My main concern is there seems so much negativetiy about Prempacc and surely I can't be the only one out there that has benefited? I did have an array of side effects in the first month but they have all subsided and I'm feeling so much clearer in my mind and general well being. I just start getting scarred seeing all the negative reviews Prempacc gets, surely it would go out of production if it were as bad as you can be led to believe it is, I would love to hear from other Prempacc uses? Keep up the good work ladies!!

Taz2

Re: Does anybody else like Prempacc?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »

Hi Liverpool Lass - I think that most of the bad press and negativity about Prempak is the way it's made and not to do with the product itself.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:34:29 AM »

HI Liverpool Lass and welcome to MM
We are all different and the type of HRT that suits a woman will also differ.  Prempac would not be on the market if it was truly problematic and there are lots of women who do very well on it. There is some controversy about the source of the hormones in this product and if a women has an issue with this then there's a good chance that she will do OK on one of the other HRT preparations. There are also some who believe that these more synthetic hormones bring higher risks but I doubt this has been truly assessed yet.
I think we often feel Prempac is prescribed simply because it is the cheapest on the market and the trend is now towards the more natural bio identical hormones which many of us feel happier about using.
I was started of Prempac over 20 years ago, after being diagnosed with premature meno, and started to feel better very quickly.  I did find I got rather bad PMT type symptoms with the progesterone as time went on so started to try other preparations. If you haven't had a bleed it may be because your womb lining hasn't built up enough - possibly because your own oestrogen levels were very low and it will take some time to build that level up again - I wouldn't worry at this stage.
It's definitely worth giving Prempac 6 months to see how you feel in the long term and if you do want to try a different preparation there are plenty to choose from. We often recommended Femoston as a good option as the progesterone is kinder and less likely to bring side effects.
Keep posting.   Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »

Hi Liverpool Lass   :welcomemm: from me too.

As the others have said Prempack would not be on the market if it was inherently dangerous. However all the studies which provide the risk data about HRT and the current warnings, limitations of duration of use etc are based on the big Women's Health Initiative Study - which was carred out using conjugated equine oestrogens (as in Prempack) and a synthetic progestogen (different type to the one Prempak I think). Although the design of this study was shown to be flawed, and the absolute risks are very small, later research demonstrates that so far that these same risks don't seem to be there or so apparent using bio-identical/transdermal  hormones, and most gynaecologists now recommend transdermal oestrogens (estradiol as patch or gel) and progesterone (if possible) especially for older women and those who are a long time since menopause or who want to use it for a long time.

If you are only just starting menopause and nowhere near 60 then I wouldn't worry at all at the moment - but if you want to stay on it for a long time, and docs try to suggest you stop - then would be the time to think about changing to a different type.

As the others have said - many women do very well on it! How old are you and where abouts in menopause?

Hope you continue to feel  better  :)

Hurdity x

Liverpool Lass

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »

Thank you for your honest and informative replies, I hadn't realised the background of this tablet so explains a lot of the strong feelings. I'm already on blood pressure and thyroxine so don't want to change too hastily and cause upset to my medication but I will strongly bear in mind all the comments and thank you again.

bramble

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 07:45:42 PM »

Hi LL. I was on Premique, the conti equivalent and I found it better than the more usual HRT. So if it suits you and makes you feel better, just stick with it.
Bramble

Lyndsey0506

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »

Hi there I'm new too and have also been prescribed prempacc. I have just finished my first month and I feel ok. I have had very bad anxiety and have also been prescribed fluoxetine to help with this. My brain feels like mush at the minute but I'm hoping this will settle down a bit soon. I'm only 38 so this has all been a bit of a shock for me. I will definitely be persevering with the prempacc.

Liverpool Lass

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:48:03 AM »

Hi Lyndsey, I'm half way through my second month on Prempacc and had a breakthrough bleed as they call them 5 days into my second pack. My head certainly feels clearer so hope you start feeling better soon, I have has some backache but benefits are I feel outweighing the negatives. I think from what I have been reading you need to give these things a good few months to kick in and let everything settle down, hope they work for you and you start feeling better soon!

Lyndsey0506

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

Thank you. I have just finished my first pack and started a bleed yesterday. Had a bit of abdominal cramp but the bleeding is light. My skin itches really bad too it drives me mad! This was one of the first symptoms I had. Its really good to speak to people who know what you're going through. This is the first day I've posted on the forum but will definitely be continuing to do so it's a big help.

robotwars

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »

As everyone has said it seems that people react differently to all the different types of HRT so its a case of try it and see!
If you find one that works I expect its great, I'm still trying to find that one! LOL
MY doctor started me on prempak and the first month was great then I started getting stomach cramps and headaches and just felt awful so my GP advised me to stop!
I hope you find one that is right for you. Good Luck

Issy023

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »

Hi.  I am new to all this too . . .
I have been on Prempac low dose tablets for the last three years or so (on HRT now for 5/6 years), and have been very happy, with few or no real side effects.  However after reading the posts on this site I am wondering about whether I should be looking to change to an estradiol HRT as opposed to a conjugated estrogen HRT?