Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1489 times)

milly

Confused
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »

Can someone enlighten me on my confusion.

I am 5 years period free, but symptoms getting more problematic, especially night sweats, and now occular migraines..is this how it all works? ..and when does it abate?

Is it all to do with low oestrogen?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »

:tulips2: ……… HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »

I'm afraid nobody really knows how long meno symptoms will continue but recent research in America came up with an average of just over 7 years - but this is an average.  The migraines could be down to sinus pain?? - I found I had far more headaches when I had a break from HRT  - sometimes for days at a time, followed by nausea for a few days. You have my sympathy - I do hope things settle down for you soon.  Perhaps have a  word with your GP about the migraines.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »

Unfortunately yes milly - post-menopause is for ever.

Oestrogen levels decline from the date of the last period for approximately the next two years and they stay at this level. However some effects continue to worsen or develop eg bone loss, vaginal atrophy etc. I wouldn't have thought that night sweats should actually get worse after 5 years - but maybe other things have changed meaning you find them more problematic eg your weight, diet etc? Also thyroid issues can become a problem for older women so could be related to this.

I agree with Dancginggirl that a visit to your GP would be a good idea and especially about the migraines if you haven't had them. You could mention the night sweats and perhaps ask about thyroid too - and the doc may order blood tests.

Have you thought of HRT? That would bring you relief from the night sweats and depending on the cause of your migraines - maybe these too, although tablet HRT can aggravate them.

Hurdity  x