Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Somehow cut my eye - on AB drops  (Read 3641 times)

oldsheep

Somehow cut my eye - on AB drops
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »

Went swimming 2 days ago and afterwards my eye was so red and painful that I couldn't see well and didn't sleep. Still sore today so went to the GP, who said irritation, and I popped into an optician, who said I've cut it. When wearing goggles, swimming?!! Anyhow I'm on 2 hourly antibiotic drops.
I can't swim until it heals so am not happy  >:(
Anyone know how long this can take to heal and can anything speed it up? I'm taking vit D but wondering about anything else. As well as the AB drops, I'm using lubricant dry eye optrex drops (an hour apart from the other drops).

honeybun

Re: Somehow cut my eye - on AB drops
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »

Eyeball....a scratch, eyelid.....?

Did the optician say how long he thought.

It sounds really painful.  :hug:

Honeyb
X

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »

Eyeball, sorry. She said near the bottom below the eyelid but it doesn't just hurt there so weird.
She said to come and see her again on weds after the AB drops treatment, which is 5 days.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »

My daughter did that when she was small. She was twirling a pencil case and.... ::)

Anyway...if I can remember back it was eye drops for a week and then another two before she could go back for her swimming lessons. I also remember it was really painful. You need to be careful because despite chlorine there are bugs in the water that's why so many kids gets swimmers ear....you can't take any risks.

Walking instead perhaps for a couple of weeks.

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »

If its a corneal abrasion it should heal in a few daya. I had one once and the optician told me the eye can heal itself amazingly quickly.  Hope its not too painful for you.

Ariadne xx

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »

It should only take a couple of weeks.  But if it's extra painful first thing in the morning, then go straight back for different drops as your eyelid can stick to the scar tissue if not sufficiently lubricated and make it worse. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »

OUCH - you may have rubbed it in the night and caused a scratch.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:09:06 PM »

Oh ouch. Sons GF had something similar caused by her contac lens. AB drops every 2 hours including during the night. She had to set alarm for every 2 hours. She'd just be nodding off & alarm would waken her. Think it was like that for first 48 hours, then 4 hourly after that.

Hope it heals soon.

oldsheep

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:51:23 PM »

Thanks everyone x
She said don't worry about the night so from 11 to about 6 no drops. I've hardly slept anyhow.

My eye is a bit more irritated on the AB drops actually. It felt a bit better with just lubricant drops. I suppose they're careful as I told them I felt tired and not particularly well too.
I'll go and ask if the irritation continues. They said to go to Moorfields A&E if it gets worse. Hope not! Are AB drops like antibiotics in that you have to finish the 5 days?

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »

Yes son's GF had to finish the course. She had to wear dark glasses too if outdoors, even on a dull day as the drops made her eyes more sensitive to light.  She did everything by the book, even though she was very frustrated with it. She couldn't work as her eyes were so blurry, even if someone could have driven her there in the first place.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »

If you are worried you can ring Moorfields for advice and reassurance!

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »

Moorfields are brilliant!  I had to have an eye op a couple of years ago and they were totally amazing.

Most people recover very quickly from corneal abrasions, but if it is feeling worse I would advise getting it checked immediately.  My GP messed around with the wrong eye drops, then tried something else that didn't work...months down the line, I ended up having the op, which Moorfields said wouldn't have been necessary if I'd had proper treatment in the first place.  So don't be afraid to make a big fuss if your eye doesn't improve or gets any worse, as it will save a lot of hassle in the long term.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »

How's your eye today oldsheep?

oldsheep

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »

sorry, wasn't on here as OH has had to go away abroad for work so went into usual anxious meltdown.

The eye is a lot better, thanks, however it  - and to an extent the other one - have become very dry and needing dry eye drops more often than you're supposed to use them (acc to optician 3-4 x daily). Possibly because of the AB drops, I don't know.
I was using Optrex dry eye drops 2x a day before this happened.
I bought Hycosan Extra from the opticians. They are preservative free but not sure they work any better.
I'm allowed to go back swimming on Friday  :D

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:07 PM »

Goggles whilst swimming?

When will OH be back?
Pages: [1] 2