Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: new and really confused  (Read 1800 times)

jennyl123

new and really confused
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »

Hi everyone.
My names jenny and I'm 29 and my dr diagnosed me as perimenopausal today. I had cervical cancer last year and had a course of chemo and was sterilised in 2012 and somewhere along the line all the symptoms of the perimenopause started. After lots of back and forth and arguments with the drs it has finally been diagnosed. I kind of knew what was going on as i had the tell tale signs.
He is suggesting that as i am only perimenopausal that i should have a coil fitted for 5 years and then look into a hysterectomy.

What i want to know is if anyone else is in the same boat as me and also how to deal with the symptoms especially the night sweats and mood swings and sleepless nights as i feel I'm going mad.
Also i was wondering if there is any supplements i could take or any support groups in the London area.

Thanks
Jenny

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new and really confused
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »

:welcomemm:  what did your Consultant suggest about HRT etc.?  Are you due for a follow-up soon so that you can read the different menus here and have something to discuss?  The Hospital may have details of a support group in your area or your Library.

I am sure someone will be along regarding HRT.  I have no experience of a Mirena but lots of ladies have used it. 

HRT will protect your bones etc. which is important.  Hsyterectomy should not be entered into lightly .

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »

I did a search on the Forum for you: the suggestions are looking at :

Menopause Matters forum [we are a Mine of Information  ;) ]

Daisy network: www.daisynetwork.org.uk

International Premature Ovarian Failure Association: www.pofsupport.org

Infertility Network UK: www.infertilitynetworkuk.com

Turner Syndrome Support Society: www.tss.org.uk

I am surprised that your Consultant hasn't made suggestions too. 

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »

So sorry you are going through this.  I am disappointed that your consultant hasn't been more supportive, although sadly not surprised.  ::)  I'm still finding my way around the whole situation myself, so can't be much help, but there is loads of helpful information on this site, plus lots of knowledgeable ladies who can point you in the right direction.  Hope you are able to find some helpful support soon so that you are able to start adjusting to this. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »

I think the daisy-network would be my first look-see as well as asking lots and lots of question here >wave<

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »

Hi jennyl123

So very sorry to hear about all of this - what a touch time you've had and still continuing.

Is this your GP? I presume he means the Mirena coil? If so this means that you could add in oestrogen as a patch or gel (or pill if you preferred) and the Mirena would keep your womb lining thin.  On the right dose this would prevent your night sweats and other menopausal symptoms and minimise bleeding. I'm not sure why the doc is suggesting hysterectomy?

This wouldn't really control mood swings completely although the constant oestrogen from the HRT would prevent the extreme oestrogen dips that occur during peri-menopause. Another alternative is the birth control pill Qlara which contains oestradiol (the same as our own oestrogen) - but does also contain high doses of synthetic progestogens. This is recommended to control mood swings for women that are OK with the progestogens.

In terms of supplements - I'm sure you're aware of the importance of a healthy diet, lifestyle (limit alcohol, no smoking, keeping weight down) and exercise - and there is some information on this from the tabs at the top of the page - under treatments. Best to get a good diet and if it's balanced, fresh and varied you shouldn't really need anything else - except at this time of year extra Vit D is good until the sun starts to shine a bit more. Pure Cod Liver Oil wouldn't go amiss either - I take this every few days, and it has Vit D in it.

Hope this helps a little and good luck on your journey - do let us know how you get on and I would recommended getting some replacement oestrogen as soon as possible.  :)

Hurdity x  :welcomemm: