Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bone loss and early meno advice  (Read 10416 times)

trac896

Bone loss and early meno advice
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:20:36 PM »

I have been on the pill for 20yrs for early menopause ime now 42.  I have osteopenia and have been advised to take HRT.
How do I know this will protect my bones if the pill didn't?
If I take HRT it would mainly be for the protection of my bones so if there is a chance that it won't protect my bones why would I take HRT and the risks associated with it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bone loss and early meno advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:30 PM »

:welcomemm: have a browse of the various menus, top of screen.

Use the search button if you think of questions and there are plenty of us around ……. The Pill was for contraception but HRT covers a  wider health support.  Ask away, nothing is taboo  ;)

There are risks with any medication or surgical procedure but these can be calculated against quality of Life.  HRT is prescribed under discussion with your GP who hopefully is supportive? and whilst it might take a while to find a product which suits, it can help enormously!

What other symptoms do you have?

lancashirelass

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »

Nick panay showed some.evidence at the last daisy network.conference that the pill does not.protect the.bones as well as hrt.  Also under 51 you are.merely replacing what hormones you would have naturally so no additional risk. 

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »

Hi Trac. A good question and as advised there is lots to read on this site. I don't think it's always an easy choice until you find out as much as you can.

There are risks of not taking it, risks of taking it but I too have been told that the risks under 51/52 or 'normal' menopause age are different. I can't really find info as to why, can only presume we are less likely to put 'too many' hormones back as we would normally have them.

I'm not a doctor though, so best to gather as much info and questions to take to the doctor and talk through. They should be able to explain benefits and any risks for your particular health history and future health.

I also found great information from the national osteoparosis Society who sent me leaflets about bone health, how to protect it and using HRT. They also talked through various other factors that effect bone health so that I could estimate my own risk

Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:02:26 PM by BrightLight »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »

Hi trac896
There has been extensive research into the benefits of HRT for the bones and heart if a woman experiences a premature menopause.  I had an early menopause and my GP persuaded me to take HRT by having my bones scanned which showed signs of bone density loss.  I recently had another bone scan (I am now 59) and my bone density was ok - HRT has clearly helped.
HRT won't just help to prevent bones loss but will reduce your risk of heart disease and the early onset of vaginal atrophy and possible problems with the badder. It will also be important to ensure you maintain a good diet that includes calcium, Vitamin D and magnesium - some regular exercise like brisk walking is a good idea - I'm sure they will give you advice about this as well.

Any risks of taking HRT don't really kick in until you reach the age of 55 as you would simply be replacing the hormones your body would produce naturally. I believe you are being wisely advised by your doctors.
It can take time to find an HRT that suits you.  We often suggest Femoston as a good one to try first as the progesterone is kinder and well tolerated by many women.
Do read up all the great info on this site and there are other sites like the daisy network that are great as well.
Keep posting, Good luck  Dg x

peegeetip

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »

Hi

sorry to hear about your situation and being diagnosed so young with meno.

What type of pill were you on for 20 years? Just so we're clear on that part.

In terms of "osteopenia" its showing a lower density not full osteoporosis.
So that is good in a way.

In terms of the pill or HRT, there still needs to be good diet to help keep calcium levels high.
Also calcium is pretty much useless in high amounts without other things including vitamin D to help build healthy bones.

Considering they've told us all since I was young to keep out of the sun or put on high factor sun cream then that does not help either.

If your looking at HRT tablets estradiol 2mg medium options or above are used to treat osteoporosis. I think there is a similar level in the patches estradiol 50mcg but ask the doc to check on that. Anything less then there is a risk it won't help as much.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Take the list along with you to your doctor. Explain what you understand and see what they say.

It might be good to get the doc to refer you to a dietitian to review how you can improve your diet to help too.

All the best on your long journey.

:-*

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »

I had a bone scan of my feet a few years ago but I believe that the best place is the pelvis as there is a good bone density there!

trac896

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »

Hi

sorry to hear about your situation and being diagnosed so young with meno.

What type of pill were you on for 20 years? Just so we're clear on that part.

In terms of "osteopenia" its showing a lower density not full osteoporosis.
So that is good in a way.

In terms of the pill or HRT, there still needs to be good diet to help keep calcium levels high.
Also calcium is pretty much useless in high amounts without other things including vitamin D to help build healthy bones.

Considering they've told us all since I was young to keep out of the sun or put on high factor sun cream then that does not help either.

If your looking at HRT tablets estradiol 2mg medium options or above are used to treat osteoporosis. I think there is a similar level in the patches estradiol 50mcg but ask the doc to check on that. Anything less then there is a risk it won't help as much.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Take the list along with you to your doctor. Explain what you understand and see what they say.

It might be good to get the doc to refer you to a dietitian to review how you can improve your diet to help too.

All the best on your long journey.

:-*
The pill I have been taking is cilest. 

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »

I'm like you started the menapause at 25 now 41 but I had to start HRT when I was 26. I last had a bone scan at 25 and have osteprina too. Did they not say for you to take HRT when you found out? Xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »

Lila - why have you not had a scan in the intervening years  :-\ ……..

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »

Sorry I put last and shouldn't have, having a bad day today, I have had two in total last one was about six years ago xxx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »

We all have senior moments,  ;D we've a thread here about that too.

However - are you due for another soon? pelvic?

Butterfly22

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

:) well I asked my doctor and she said no need, she won't refere me as feels like she can deal with me but I'm getting nowhere with her, I moved from Newcastle to North yorkshire (a small town) two years ago but was at menapause clinic, hospital ect before. Feel like I've nowhere to turn now. Feel very alone with it all xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »

You could contact the Meno Clinic directly and see if they have advice, if you don't ask you don't get.

How is your GP going to deal with you? she can't tell if you have bone loss without a scan  ::)

Butterfly22

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »

I'll ask again on Monday see what she says if not I'm going to have to look else where for help, just been doing research and the menapause magnifies ME so no wonder I feel so dreadful. Xxx
Pages: [1] 2