Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello!! Newly diagnosed and think I'm going mad!!  (Read 3595 times)

Moomcat

Hello!! Newly diagnosed and think I'm going mad!!
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »

Hi there,

I've just turned 43 and was diagnosed as peri-menopausal last week. I've missed two periods and had been having some delightful sweating episodes so had an idea what was was happening but to have the actual diagnosis has been a bit of a shock. I feel like I'm all over the place and like I'm losing my marbles...I seem to be doing really silly things like getting into the drivers side of my friends car when I don't drive and just general "not quite right-ness". It feels like I'm losing my mental capacity.  My concentration is shot to pieces, I've no motivation and I just can't be bothered...not helped by being knackered all the time except when I want to sleep!! I feel like crying and I've got a little black cloud hovering above my head.

Please tell me this is normal!!

I've got a GP appointment today at 4 to discuss HRT which I was dead against at first due to bad experiences with the pill but I've decided to give it a shot.

Sorry for such a miserable posting, it wasn't my intention as I'm usually quite a happy wee thing. Not this week though!! >:(

dazned

Re: Hello!! Newly diagnosed and think I'm going mad!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »

Hello moomcat welcome  :hug:

You are definitely not alone ! We all have either been there or still where you are now! It's all so scary but keep reading all the things on here and be reassured someone will help you get through this miserable time . X

Moomcat

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »

Thank you!!

I'm having a little read around and finding my way...it affects everything doesn't it, what a ride I'm going to have!!

I'm a mature (supposedly) student and I've got an essay to write for Monday and I have absolutely no motivation to go anywhere near it...I don't even have a sense of urgency or blind panic!!

I'm so frustrated with myself...I could however, manage a day of chocolate and napping!!  ;)

Linsnw

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »

I am definitely coming back as a man! I feel your pain. Am in an identical situation, although working rather than studying. I'm 42 and have had everything you talk about. It's early days for me on HRT so can't tell if it's going to work yet and can't give you any good news stories yet but a bit of solidarity. Good luck, hang in there and let's hope we can both look back in a short while and say, remember when it was hard and now it's great!!! Xxx

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »

Hi Moomcat
What you describve sounds familiar - you are not going mad.  That is THE most important thing to remember.  I thought I was for the past 18 months and just had a diagnosis of menopause 4 weeks ago and since then have had no periods.  I am 44 and like you it was a real shock.

I have calmed down considerably since then and do not feel so mad ;)  So perhaps you will feel a bit better when the shock wears off and you get to grips with the feelings and changes that are hormone related.

It's horrible to start realising our hormones are going a bit crazy and adjusting...........good luck with your appointment today

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »

Hi Moomcaat and welcome to MM
I had a premature menopause and have used HRT for many years.
My top tip is to try Femoston 1/10 Sequential first as many women seem to do really well on it.  The hormones in it are very close to our own so, in a way, are more natural. Don't let him/her give you Prempak - this is the old fashioned type of HRT.  I'm pleased to hear your GP is advising HRT as up until your early 50s you will simply be replacing the hormones your body should have been producing anyway and this will protect your heart and bones.  You will also be reducing the risk of bowel cancer and the possible onset of vaginal atrophy and bladder problems if you sue HRT till your early 50s.
Like you, I was very against HRT to start with and it took me some time to find the right HRT preparation but I'm really glad I followed my doctors advice.
Do read up all the stuff on this site - it's great to get really clued up.
Don't be frightened - we're here to support you.   DG x

Moomcat

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »

Thank you SO much Dazned, Linsnw, BrightLight and Dancinggirl for your kind and supportive words. It's wonderful to know that I'm not alone in this and I've got company on this journey!!

My GP prescribed me Evorel Sequi so hopefully they'll make difference. Just going to have a look around the forum to get some thoughts on them.

It means a lot to have you all here to chat to, my boyfriend tries but in typical male fashion, jokes his way through things...I can normally cope with that but I have recently found myself wanting to punch him. :o!!
Poor sod doesn't have a clue that he'll be suffering with me, hehe!!xx

BrightLight

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

Moomcat - you made me laugh about wanting to punch your boyfriend ;)  Good to hear your appointment went well.

Moomcat

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »

I think we have to try and find a bit of humour in things or we'll go under...

My beloved is doing his own thing tonight though so he's quite safe!!!

I've felt a lot more positive since I got back from the doctors and hopeful that the symptoms will lessen...or get worse if this particular brand of HRT doesn't agree with me.

I wanted to try the patches because i tend to forget to take pills but reading the leaflet I think the tablets might have been easier.

Oh well, it's trial and error I suppose. xx
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:10:43 PM by Moomcat »

BrightLight

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:21:32 PM »

Yes humour and positivity are a must - I have started to ignore a lot of my 'symptoms' or at least I try - seems to make life a bit lighter. :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »

Moomcat - You may get on with the patches fine but if not there are plenty of options. I doubt you will feel worse - it's usually about finding the right progesterone - hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.
Keep posting DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »

:welcomemm: …….. sounds 'within normal limits' from where I'm sitting  ;) - browse round, join in !

Linsnw

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »

I do wonder what makes GPs choose the HRT they give you. There are so many it would seem.
Ive been given Femosten 1/10.  that was by the gynae at hospital as I was referred by my GP. Only 6 weeks in so no consistant feedback. hope you like the one youve been given. xx

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

Hi Moomcat

:welcomemm: from me too.

Hope the patches work for you and you feel better soon. What is it that's worrying you about the patches? I've used them for 8 years and I'm quite happy - but was older than you when I started though. Personally I prefer the idea of the hormones going straight into the system without being digested or going through the liver. Once you get used to remembering to change them you get into a routine. I prefer to change them every 3 1/2 days when I remember so Monday evening and Friday morning as the is a graudal decline in the amount released from the patch over time.

Lisnw - I would like to think that the GP will ask the women what type she might prefer eg transdermal (patches/gel) or tablets, and also take into account the woman's medical history - eg transdermal is preferred with history of migraine. Unfortunately sometimes it seems to be just a matter of the first one that comes to hand - and some feel that price comes into it.

With yours - that is the best combined tablet that is available that is closest to the hormones in our own bodies as Dancinggirl says. The oestrogen is estradiol, and the progestogen in it is very similar to progesterone - and many women tolerate this one very well.

Hope you have good results with it  :)

Hurdity x

Moomcat

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 12:18:50 AM »

Hi Hurdity, nice to meet you,

I was just concerned that my patches would come off when using moisturiser or spraying myself with fake tan but I imagine that's all been taken into consideration!!

Think my cat may have punctured it with the "loving hug" she gave me earlier today...when I say "loving hug" I mean she ran at me, threw her furry arms around my thigh and dug her claws in!!

Still feeling like crap, I'm trying to do uni work and I just can't. I can't think, I can't take anything in, can't comprehend it and can't be bothered...it's awful. My work's due in on Monday and I'm worried sick about it but I just can't get into it. My brain is fuzz.

Bloody hormones!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!

xx