Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Question about anxiety  (Read 3151 times)

karin

Question about anxiety
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »

Hello ladies
I dont take hrt, dont have depression, but think im experiencing anxiety? It comes  on if im overloaded at work, instead of taking it in my stride, i feel a rush of anxiety in my stomach and feel flustered and a bit muddled and panicked, given a chance i would want to rush off and have a cry!! As soon im away from the troblem i start to calm down, im happy in life and feel generally optimistic, but finding this a little tough. Any advice please?? 😄

toffeecushion

Re: Question about anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »

I am feeling the same. To the extent that I am thinking about giving up work.  I just can't cope with things at the moment.  The slightest change makes me so anxious.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »

St John's Wort is good for mild to moderate anxiety. Also Bach's rescue remedy.
It might be worth giving them both a try to help you cope a bit better.

Honeyb
x

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

I find my biggest feeling of overwhelming anxiety is work. I never expected perimenopause to do this especially as I am only 41 and supposed to be in a great place in my career. Along side the overwhelming anxiety and feeling of panic is a total loss of confidence. Before I was prescribed hrt I took St John's wort and this took the edge off. I still had a wooly head, brain fog and feelings of being overwhelmed but the anxiety was much improved. I also find that slowing myself down helps to manage the feelings too.

HorsesHorses

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »

Hi ladies,
My anxiety seems to be about my health. I've been so mixed up with various changing symptoms for the last couple of years which came as a shock to me, a) because of my age (36) and b) because up to then I'd always been relatively healthy. It's one health worry after another at the moment and i find myself convincing myself I'll be one of those people to just drop down dead shocking everyone I know. That's when my anxiety goes through the roof. Maybe I'm just a hypochondriac and it's exaggerated by menopause. It's like a sneaky bad guy who sees each of our our individual weeknesses and plays on them. I don't seem to get bothered by anything else though. If anything, apart from thinking I'm about to die every day, I'm too laid back haha.
I may have to try de stressing techniques or meds soon. Enzymes you say? No idea what they are but I'll look them up.
X :)

karin

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »

That all sounds familiar! I had read about st johns wort Honeybun,i might give it a try- anyone experienced any side effects? I only take starflower and fish oils and im also thinking that its time i restarted some exercise again. For anyone else suffering, i had a mini attack at  work today (  its a really busy time) so i went to the ladies and took a few breaths, gave myself a talking to and got a big mug of tea! Felt lots better! Will post ongoing re st johns wort.😃

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

Check with your pharmacist if you take any other meds before starting St Johns Wort.
I never had any side effects at all, it  does take a good few weeks before you see a difference.
Don't buy a cheap and cheerful one because it's a waste of money. Go for a good one a day one and take with food.

Honeyb
X

honorsmum

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »

That all sounds familiar! I had read about st johns wort Honeybun,i might give it a try- anyone experienced any side effects? I only take starflower and fish oils and im also thinking that its time i restarted some exercise again. For anyone else suffering, i had a mini attack at  work today (  its a really busy time) so i went to the ladies and took a few breaths, gave myself a talking to and got a big mug of tea! Felt lots better! Will post ongoing re st johns wort.😃

My GP told me not to take St John's Wort, because it is very similar to SSRI antidepressants, and I had a bad reaction to Citalopram 5 years ago.
According to a herbalist lady I spoke to, some people are sensitive to the plant and it can increase their anxiety.