Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Music and musicians  (Read 52811 times)

Dulciana

Re: Calling all musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »

Me, well very late into music. Just a hidden belief that somewhere deep inside I had a voice. It's never too late to find joy in music!
I completely agree, Ju Ju.   I think it's great that you have done.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »

Some of my best school memories are music related....some of them funny and typical teenager mischief.
I clearly remember going to quite a large town hall for an inter school competition. We all went on the bus and a couple of the boys had brought some cans of beer for the journey home.

We were first on and we were all up on stage unpacking instruments. The judges were at a table in the main hall. One of the boys opened his trumpet case and out rolled a can of lager. We all watched in horror as it rolled across the stage and off it and under the judges table.

It was the funniest thing....and we still won and drank the lager on the way home on the bus.

My daughters school still had a great music dept. some of the swing band have played in Paris and Central Park. She had a tuba until braces made it too painful to play. I loved the concerts they put on....always cried...no matter what it was.  ::)

Honeyb
X

Dulciana

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »

I think it's not unknown for the men in orchestral brass sections to nip out to the pub during tacet movements...!  (Or so I've heard ::))

Ju Ju

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »

I made sure my children had the opportunity to play a musical instrument. My daughter played the trombone in primary school, then went on to play the saxophone, but music was never a passion. My son used to sit completely absorbed by our old record player as a small child. I took advice on what instrument would be best for him to learn to play, bearing in mind learning to read music would be an uphill struggle as he is dyslexic and sequencing was a major problem. He started learning to play the guitar and had the fortune to have a gifted teacher, who took him under his wing. He composed his own music long before he was able to read music. Music helped him survive school. He'd come home and strum away the stresses of the day. He went on to take popular music BTEC, and finished with a distinction. He decided not to pursue a musical career, because of short term memory issues and there were other things that excited him......fire engines, ambulances.......! My paramedic son still makes music a major part of his life, still takes lessons and champions me with my singing.

Music can be an intensely personal experience, whether listening or taking part, but it is something you can share, whether being part of a choir or orchestra. Make yourself sing when feeling low. It does help to lift your mood. They say it releases endorphins. I've been studying for and taking music grades these last 3 years through health challenges. It was the one thing I didn't let slide for a while.

Dulciana

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 12:36:05 PM »

And it's a language that crosses boundaries.   There's an international youth orchestra, based in Spain, called the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, which brings together young musicians from all over the Middle East.   It's conducted by Daniel Barenboim, who is one also of the founders of the orchestra.  Its aims are to promote unity between young people from that part of the world, who otherwise would not have the opportunity to openly share the common language of music together.  I think it's a superb idea.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:08:18 PM by Dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

Music has so much to offer  8)

Dulciana

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »

It does, CLKD.

Dulciana

Re: Musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »

I love all sorts of music. ............ to listen to, Sibelius, Dvorak, Brahms, Mahler, Tchaikovsky

Just wondering, honorsmum - do you like all Mahler, or anything in particular?  I love the 8th symphony and the last movement of the 2nd symphony.   Then, there's always Strauss: Heldenleben, Don Juan, 4 Last Songs........... :)

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:41 PM »

Mahler, Wagner, too heavy for me  ::)
I was raised on Beethoven, Mendlesohn, [sp], 'The Pearl Fishers' Duet  :-* ……...

Dulciana

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »

Mahler, Wagner, too heavy for me  ::)
I was raised on Beethoven, Mendlesohn, [sp], 'The Pearl Fishers' Duet  :-* ……...
They're great, too, CLKD.  One of my all-time favourite works is Beethoven's Emperor Piano Concerto.  (I love all the Beethoven piano concertos, which I'm hoping my sister will remember when it comes to my birthday in five weeks' time  ::))

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:47 PM »

Yep - the Grieg too ……..

Ju Ju

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »

Duliciana, fellow Pisces!  ::)

Dulciana

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »

Yes, indeed  :)

Rowan

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »

I play the guitar or I did but not so much now.

When I was a teenager I joined a Theatre Club, and sang and danced in Pantomime and played guitar.  The one I remember most was "Aladdin"

Happy days.

My favourite classical music

Handel's Water Music
Gustav Holts The Planet Suite
All Vivaldi's works

Dulciana

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »

I love Vivaldi, too, Silverlady.  Three months ago, we did the whole of his "Gloria", using a combined choir of singers from all the churches in the parish plus me on the organ.  It was great fun - a really enjoyable evening.   :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11