Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy - where to go from here!  (Read 7052 times)

jasmine5

Vaginal Atrophy - where to go from here!
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »

Hi Ladies

I have recently been diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy and was given Ovestin cream to use twice a day for two weeks then twice a week thereafter.  I've come to the end of the course now and unfortunately I am no better.  I'm still suffering with soreness, burning and itching and intercourse has become extremely uncomfortable!  On the recommendation of my Consultant I asked my Gp to prescribe Vagifem instead but she has refused as she said I was on Femseven 50 patches and she wasn't happy to prescribe Vagifem with the extra oestrogen.

Is my Gp correct to 'refuse' to prescribe Vagifem or is there anything similar that I can use?

Jas x

rubyring

Re: Vaginal Atrophy - where to go from here!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:14:35 PM »

Hello jas
I'm sorry to hear what your going through as I have vaginal atrophy too but am on vagifem only ( not on any other HRT at the minute). When I researched vagifem I understood that it was a very low dose local HRT that didn't enter the rest of the body and if it did it was only a very tiny bit. It has really helped my symptoms down below and I use it twice a week. I. Have also had some good advice from the other forum members on here. I'm not a health care professional but think you have the right to try vagifem so would advise you to go back to your consultant and explain the problem and maybe they could prescribe it for you?
Good luck and hope your symptoms improve and you get sorted out.
Xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »

Hi jasmine

Yes rubyring is right - you can use Vagifem as well as systemic HRT, as she says only a minute amount is absorbed into the body. There are several of us who use it as well as systemic HRT ( I am one of them) and my gynae GP is quite happy with this.

Also in cases of severe atrophy more than two weeks may be required to alleviate the soreness so I would continue to use it daily if you can while waiting for your next appointment to get some Vagifem - unless you are allergic to any of the ingredients.

Unfortunately there is nothing similar I'm afarid.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »

Ask for the same prescription and continue using it daily.  You may find that another 'course' of daily use will begin to ease symptoms. There is no '1 fits all' for VA!

Have a word with your Consultant's secretary in the meantime, he/she can send an e-mail or speak with your GP to reassure her that the two medications are OK to be used together. 

jasmine5

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »

Thank you for helpful comments.

Is it possible to be allergic to Ovestin cream?  I have noticed that when I apply it on the outside of my vagina that within a few minutes I start to itch and burn slightly.  Initially I thought this was part of the atrophy problem but after using for two weeks with no real relief, I am now under the impression that I may be sensitive to some of the ingredients. 

I've started applying coconut oil to the outside as I've read this is particularly soothing.  Has anyone else tried it?

Jas x

scriv

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:46:33 AM »

I was allergic to the Ovestin cream and the soreness and burning it brought with it was worse than the original VA problem for me. It must be some ingredient in the cream which upsets some of us.

I then switched to Vagifem. This was 9 years ago when Vagifem was 25mcg and when I was also on a 50 Evorel patch. My GP was a little unsure but consulted with the gynae who OK'd it, so has happily prescribed it ever since. I am now no longer on systemic HRT as well but just use Vagifem.

I guess what I am saying is that especially that now Vagifem is at 10mcg, there should be  no safety worry as such about taking the two together. Your GP needs to gen up on it from the experts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:51:09 AM by scriv »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »

What did you decide?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »

Hi there jasmine - there is a long thread started I think by Dancinggirl a while back which hasn't been added to recently but you might like to read it as I think allergies etc to some of the vaginal preparations are discussed ( I haven't read any of it through to check though - just found it for you!)
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html

Hurdity x

jasmine5

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »

Hi ladies

Applied some more Ovestin this morning and definately burning and itching more so  something obviously doesn't agree with me!  I really wanted to stick with it but I feel so uncomfortable and itchy that I don't think I can.  Tried the coconut oil too and its very soothing on the outside but of course doesn't solve the inside problem.

Just plucking up the courage now to return to the Gp to ask for Vagifem.

Thanks Hurdity for the link I will read with interest as soon as I have a little time.

Jas x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »

Make an appt with your Practice Nurse for a Well Woman chat. Read the menus, left of screen.  Make notes to take  ;)

Maryjane

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »

I could not use the Ovestin had a dreadful reaction to it.......I use vagifem.

nigela

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »

Hi I sent away for the "yes" gel -found the water based one the best. Gives much relief.
Nigela

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »

I use Multi Gyn Actigel and Vagifem these days to help reduce any irritation generally. 
DG x